Customers shocked as Australia Post reveals up to 10 per cent surge in delivery prices

Members, have you been sending lots of parcels lately? If so, then you'd better make sure to prepare your wallet for a hit.

That's because a recent announcement by Australia Post revealed that parcel delivery prices are increasing by up to 10 per cent, which means that anyone sending items through the post could be in for a very expensive surprise!

It's not just small businesses that have suffered from this unexpected price hike. Just sending one tiny parcel could now cost you more than $10, with a lot of other services costing you $13 or more.

Those sending items overseas could feel the full force of the hike, with prices soaring from $35.05 to send a 1.5-2kg parcel to New Zealand, and up to $87.25 to post to the rest of the world.

According to Mark Skipper, former Chairman of the Supply Chain & Logistics Association of Australia, parcel prices have increased by a staggering 136 per cent over the past 15 years.

Screen Shot 2023-07-12 at 1.58.37 PM.png
Australia Post hiked up its parcel and package delivery prices by up to 10 per cent. Credit: Shutterstock.

Australia Post wrote on its website that these changes are necessary to help meet growing costs. They have cited soaring costs and ballooning group losses as the main reasons for the price hike, and while other businesses also have to pay increasing energy and fuel costs, the impact of the fee hike has been felt far and wide.

According to the most recent Australian Online Shopping Report by the postal service, a staggering 9.4 million households in Australia collectively spent a whopping $63.8 billion on online shopping in the year 2022.

'Parcels growth is going up as more people do online shopping, so that 10 per cent increase is an extra $199million revenue for them [Australia Post],' Mr Skipper said.

'Look at their annual report; they paid $697 million to the federal government last year in dividends and other charges.'

Now, this means that those of us who rely on Australia Post's services are paying a hefty fee for little in return. With the number of parcels reaching 2.7 million last year alone and expected to keep rising, it's important that you know the current pricing and expected changes in the future.

'Like all businesses, Australia Post is operating in an environment of increasing inflationary pressures and rising energy and fuel costs. We carefully consider any pricing changes and the impact this has on our customers,' said a spokesperson for the parcel company.

'As a completely self-funded organisation that receives no Government assistance, these pricing changes are necessary to help Australia Post address its increasing costs.'

Key Takeaways

• Australia Post has increased its parcel and package delivery prices by up to 10 per cent.
  • The new charges, affecting both domestic and international parcel services, came into effect on July 3.
  • Parcel prices have risen dramatically by 136 per cent in the last 15 years, according to former Supply Chain & Logistics Association of Australia chairman Mark Skipper.
  • Australia Post justified the price hike by citing growing costs and increasing inflationary pressures and stated that the changes are necessary for providing a sustainable delivery service.

Members, no one likes a sudden price hike—and it pays to be aware of the current pricing at all times. If you can, try to opt for alternative delivery services, and always double-check the current prices before sending anything in the post.

Do you have any tips for sending parcels? If you do, make sure to drop them in the comments section below—we'd love to hear your thoughts!

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsored
We sell on eBay and was shocked when sending something on Monday.
Small prepaid satchels are usually $9.90 and on Monday I paid $10.90 , the lady said there was a sign as you walked in showing the price increase
Prices went up from 3rd July.

Now this makes me make , Australia post are already making a fortune with a high increase in parcel deliveries, with so many more people buying on line.
If anything prices should come down !

Australia Post you are slowly pricing yourself out of business!

Is it any wonder more people are relying on technology - the price of a simple card is lower than the postage cost, cards are getting better in quality and wording and postage is going up, up, up. Even some online greeting card sites are free and you can find some nice cards as well as funny ones. It takes so many days to have your mail arrive from time it was posted. I often receive cards from relatives in the UK a month after they’ve posted it and comment that their postmen and ours must be walking the distance for it to take so long. As a result we’ve stopped sending the normal cards and only send ones for very special celebrations like big birthdays or anniversaries.

Pick up your game Australia Post and stop hiking up your price for service or you will have very little business to be viable in a short time.

Reactions: Rhondda@Benji
Why not 2 - 3 % rise instead of 10% increases. You’d still make a profit.
Pensioners get a small increase in their pension and every one puts their hand out. So really they get nothing as they end up falling behind with the cost of living. Which is not really living at all !!!

I had to express post some documents to Melbourne from Brisbane on Tuesday, to my horror it cost $36 at the business post office. There were no signs up to say increased fees. With a lot of people buying online and depending on Australia Post to deliver, they are making a massive profit. Bet my poor Postie who is a gem, doesn't get a great deal out of this from Australia Post.:(

• Wow
Reactions: Rhondda@Benji
UNFORTUNATELY FOR US PEOPLE SELLING THINGS ON EBAY, THE COSTS JUST KEEP GOING UP, 13.4%+.30c EBAY, NOW AUST POST UP TO 500gm $10.60... 500gm to 1kg. 14.50. 1kg to 3gkg $18.25,,,, when will it end GREEDY AUSTRALIAN POST. BLEEDING US DRY AND MAKING BIG PROFITS,,,WILL BE CHEAPER TO GET COURIER TO DELIVER SOON.................

I live in Gosford and all my local mail is delivered by hand...cheaper than a p I just have a bunch of letters on my seat and personally deliver them over the next couple of days(sometimes quicker than AP)...aus post ...dearest postal service in the world!! check it out

We sell on eBay and was shocked when sending something on Monday.
Small prepaid satchels are usually $9.90 and on Monday I paid $10.90 , the lady said there was a sign as you walked in showing the price increase
Prices went up from 3rd July.

Now this makes me make , Australia post are already making a fortune with a high increase in parcel deliveries, with so many more people buying on line.
If anything prices should come down !
They pay their CEOs far too much while not paying their workers the money they deserve

I am still gasping at posting a single cotton teatowel to my sister in Florida costing over $18!If I had not addressed the simple envelope cost included before taking to the counter I would not have sent it all. What makes me angrier, is it took nearly a month to arrive there. Our postal system is considered a joke in many OS countries.

They pay their CEOs far too much while not paying their workers the money they deserve
Speaking of CEOs - most, if not all, companies pay their CEOS way over the top. Who does most of the work? Admin from the bottom with the laborious stuff keeping records, researching, typing etc; next up - the bosses who give orders and further up the ladder more bosses who rely on someone else to do the research and leg work while they just say ‘yes’ or ‘no’ and it goes up the line with those higher up the ladder just giving the nod to the work done by those lower down. I don’t believe CEOs actually do much actual ‘work’ but just give the nod to the workers. And yet they take the big wage. When push comes to shove or something goes wrong it’s those lower down who are blamed. And that is evidenced in governments of today (& in the past) all over the world. The rich get richer while the poor get poorer. Mind you this is not 100% the case though.