Customer slams Domino's over delivery orders: ‘Won't be getting anytime soon’

In an age where convenience often trumps cost, it's no surprise that many of us are willing to pay a little extra for the luxury of home delivery.

From groceries to gourmet meals, the digital era has made it possible to have almost anything brought to our doorstep with just a few clicks.

However, when does the price for convenience become too steep? This is the question pizza lovers are asking after a recent outcry over Domino's delivery fees.

The issue was brought to light by a Domino's customer, Nay Mcrae, who expressed her disbelief over the 'massive' fees the pizza chain charges for home delivery.

On social media, Mcrae posted a side-by-side comparison of the prices for picking up pizzas in-store versus having them delivered to her home in Kempsey on the NSW mid-north coast.

Screenshot 2024-06-28 at 10.28.29 AM.png
Nay Mcrae shared how Domino’s charged ‘massive fees’ on home deliveries. Credit: Facebook

‘Has anyone noticed such a massive difference in pizza prices when doing delivery? This is our local Domino's, won't be getting delivery anytime soon,’ she wrote.

Mcrae's post revealed that the total bill for three large pizzas jumped from $35 to $65 when opting for delivery. This included what appeared to be a $10 surcharge added to each pizza.

The supreme pizza, originally $16, skyrocketed to $26 with delivery; the $12 Philly Cheesesteak rose to $22; and the $7 ham and cheese pizza surged to $17.

The post quickly went viral, with many Australians expressing their outrage, labelling Domino's as a 'rip-off' and criticising the quality of the pizzas as 'expensive cardboard'.

'I called them out on this, and they said they now add a delivery fee to EACH PIZZA... so dodgy,' one person said.

'I noticed this almost two years ago. Haven't bought off them since,' another said.

‘That’s crazy! We also find vouchers on Frugal Feeds, which often gets us 40 per cent off the pickup price,’ a third added.

It's still not clear when the pricing change took effect.

In response to the backlash, a Domino's spokesperson stated that the higher menu pricing for delivery considers the additional costs associated with the service.

‘This menu pricing takes into account additional costs like labour, fuel and mileage required to get the order from our store to your door,' the spokesperson said.

'Domino’s pick-up menu is where you will find the lowest pricing as there are no additional costs to get this order to you.'

In a similar story, a grandmother faced an incident at Domino’s, where a grandmother was threatened by a Domino’s store owner after attempting to return a $12 pizza.

The grandmother expressed feeling shaken by the encounter. You can read more about the story here.
Key Takeaways
  • Domino's customers have been charged significantly higher fees for delivered orders compared to pick-up prices.
  • A customer highlighted the price difference with a side-by-side comparison, noting a surcharge added to each pizza when delivered.
  • Social media users have expressed disapproval, labelling Domino's as a 'rip-off' for the high delivery surcharges.
  • A Domino's spokesperson explained that the higher delivery prices take into account additional costs such as labour and fuel.
Have you encountered similar issues with delivery fees from other services? How do you balance the convenience of delivery with its cost? Share them with us in the comments below!

Reactions: Littleboy8
Sponsored
How does it cost more to deliver one pizza or three, same delivery guy, same amount of fuel
Perhaps they go backwards and forwards to the store and deliver them one at a time, lol.
Maybe three pizzas is too heavy for the delivery guy to carry???
What a load of hogwash.
Doesn't worry me, I make my own.

It used to be $3 per pizza for delivery, I never understood how delivering three pizzas was more costly than delivering one to the same address. Clearly Dominos are trying to make people collect their own pizzas with those prices!!

Dominos don't even use real Cheese etc on their ultra processed Junk Pizzas , get a real healthy Italian Pizza or even better make your own, they are so simple to make and so much cheaper better for your Health ,stop supporting these Greed driven Multinationals

Reactions: KaraJenna and Rob44
The newsletter headline reads - A famous restaurant is allegedly charging 'massive fees' to customers. Were YOU a victim, too?
The article headline reads - Customer slams Domino's over delivery orders: ‘Won't be getting anytime soon’

This is where I stopped reading.

For obvious reasons!

Reactions: Mrs Robyn
Omg..get a life if you are too lazy to pick it up then you obviously HAVE TO PAY for it to get delivered..stop whinging about it, stop being lazy or cook your own...suck it up
Everyone is entitled to have a treat night with their family without having to pay overs for the convenience of delivery. Getting kids in and out of car seats is time consuming and by the time you pick up a pizza it’s cold when you get home. $10 extra per pizza is overs and this is why I no longer get domino’s. Maybe mobility is a problem for some reason too. Save your omg comment, it isn’t helpful. Have a nice day.

Omg..get a life if you are too lazy to pick it up then you obviously HAVE TO PAY for it to get delivered..stop whinging about it, stop being lazy or cook your own...suck it up
Lazy?? OMG you are the one who needs to get a darn life! Some people don't drive and have mobility disorders that make them pretty much housebound. So now the great and wise Lisa has the cheek to call us "lazy"!!! I think the queue for compassion and kindness is to your right.
Plus if you had taken the time to read the article before going off on your rant you would see it is not paying a delivery fee, but the delivery fee being added to EVERY item in the order, that is the issue.

Not only yhay the pizzas went down from 12 in to 10 in and the filling dropped to half and the price doubled.
Biggest ripoff ever.

Lazy?? OMG you are the one who needs to get a darn life! Some people don't drive and have mobility disorders that make them pretty much housebound. So now the great and wise Lisa has the cheek to call us "lazy"!!! I think the queue for compassion and kindness is to your right.
Plus if you had taken the time to read the article before going off on your rant you would see it is not paying a delivery fee, but the delivery fee being added to EVERY item in the order, that is the issue.
do not purchase.

The newsletter headline reads - A famous restaurant is allegedly charging 'massive fees' to customers. Were YOU a victim, too?
The article headline reads - Customer slams Domino's over delivery orders: ‘Won't be getting anytime soon’

This is where I stopped reading.

For obvious reasons!
Lost me at Famous "RESTAURANT" it's a Pizza chain FFS.