Customer reveals 'disgusting' detail in Macca's: 'I genuinely felt sick to my stomach'

Fast food may be a convenient choice for a quick bite, but what happens when the very place that's supposed to provide a bit of comfort and convenience turns into a scene of disarray?

This is the question many Australians are asking after a recent incident at a McDonald's in Cheltenham, Melbourne, has left customers shocked and the internet abuzz.

The incident, which has quickly become a hot topic among fast-food diners, was brought to light by a customer named Jackie Zovas.

During a Monday night visit to the Cheltenham McDonald's, Jackie was confronted with a sight far from the fast, friendly service and clean environment we all expect from the golden arches.

photo1 (4).jpg
A customer revealed the condition of a Macca’s branch in Melbourne. Image source: @jackiezovas/TikTok

Armed with her phone, Jackie captured footage that showed the restaurant in a state of neglect.

Bins were brimming over with rubbish, tables were abandoned amidst a chaos of waste, and food scraps and wrappers lay scattered across the floor and even on kitchen benches.

The staff, albeit few in number, seemed to navigate through the mess as they worked.

Jackie mentioned that the branch was ‘super busy’ and stated that she was ‘disgusted’ that some of the items given to customers that day had been sitting under the heat lamp for ‘some time’.

She said: ‘I genuinely felt sick to my stomach to the point I actually asked for my order to be cancelled as I felt as though eating this food would make me sick, that's how much of a health hazard I believe it was.’

The video quickly made its way to social media, where it sparked a heated debate.

Some users condemned the state of the restaurant, expressing their disgust and concern over the apparent decline in cleanliness standards at McDonald's locations across Australia.

Comments such as 'Standards dropping and prices rising' and 'I stopped eating (Macca’s) years ago' because the food had become “rubbish”’ were indicative of the disappointment felt by many.

One person wrote: ‘I get the restaurant might be dirty after the Saturday night rush but behind the counter?’

On the flip side, there were those who called for empathy towards the staff.

It was pointed out that only three staff members appeared to be rostered during one of the busiest times of the day.

Social media defenders echoed this perspective, pointing out the challenges of working in hospitality, especially during peak hours.

They argued that the mess was a sign of understaffing rather than a lack of effort on the part of the employees.

‘If they employed enough staff they’d have time to take care of it through the night,’ a commenter stated.

Despite the divided opinions, the consensus was clear: something had gone awry at this McDonald's location.

In response to the uproar, a spokesperson for McDonald's Australia addressed the concerns, stating that the fast food giant is 'committed to giving our customers a great experience every time they visit one of our restaurants.'

They added: ‘We follow strict cleaning, sanitisation and hygiene procedures in all restaurants, including routine dining room cleaning.’

‘We are working with the restaurant to ensure we continue to provide a safe and clean restaurant, with a great customer experience.’

You can watch the video here:

Source: @jackiezovas/TikTok​

Key Takeaways

• A customer filmed and revealed the filthy condition of a McDonald's restaurant in Cheltenham, Melbourne, with litter and food scraps visible.
  • The footage showed bins overflowing and waste littered across tables and the kitchen area.
  • Social media users expressed disgust at the cleanliness standards, with some defending the staff due to potential understaffing.
  • A McDonald's Australia spokesperson stated that the company follows strict cleaning procedures and is addressing the issue to ensure a safe and clean restaurant experience.
For our readers at the Seniors Discount Club, we encourage you to share your thoughts and experiences. Have you encountered similar situations at your local eateries? How do you think such issues should be addressed? Let us know in the comments below!

Reactions: Littleboy8
Sponsored
I agree, but, people forget that the buggers ARE better at Hungry Jacks!
Ooops, that should be "burgers"