Cracking the code: Home cook shares egg-cellent way to perfectly peel your eggs

Boiled eggs are a staple in many households—they're a reliable source of protein, they're versatile, and they fit into a variety of dietary plans.

But let's face it: the peeling process can sometimes turn this simple snack into a frustrating chore. Who hasn't ended up with a pile of egg shards and a less-than-perfectly smooth egg?

Fear not, because there’s stumbled upon a kitchen trick that's about to make your culinary life much easier.

This trick, shared by a savvy home cook named Laura on social media.

‘The trick is very simple,’ she said in a post.

So, what's this miraculous method? It's delightfully straightforward.

unnamed.png
Home cook impresses with an ingenious method for effortlessly peeling eggs. Credit: Shutterstock

Laura's advice is to focus on what happens after the eggs are boiled. Here's the step-by-step guide to achieving peel-perfect eggs:

The first step is to boil your eggs as you normally would, according to your preferred level of doneness.

Once boiled, drain the hot water from the pot and refill it with cold water to stop the cooking process and cool the eggs down.

‘Let the eggs cool,’ Laura said.

‘Once they are cool enough, crack every shell all over and put them back in the pan without peeling.’

For the next step, Laura said, ‘Drain the water again, add fresh cold water and leave the cracked eggs in it for five minutes.’

Laura explained that by following this method, the shells will effortlessly ‘slide off’.

‘You’ll have perfect eggs every time,’ she said.

Laura's post resonated with many because it addressed a common kitchen struggle.

‘I can tell you how to do it easily every time,’ she said.

With over 26,000 likes and a thousand comments praising her method, it's clear that this is more than just a passing fad—it's a game-changer.

‘Wow, thank you; I cannot wait to try this,’ one said.

‘Thank you; you have saved me a lifetime of grappling! ’ another commented.

‘I have never tried this method; thank you so much! ’ a third person wrote.

But why does this method work so well? According to ScienceDirect, the shock of the cold water helps to contract the egg whites away from the membrane, which is often the pesky part that clings to the shell and causes it to stick.

By cracking the eggs and then submerging them in cold water again, you're allowing water to seep under the shell, which further separates the egg white from the shell, making peeling a breeze.

Now, let's take this a step further. For those of us who like to plan ahead, consider cooking your eggs in batches. Once peeled, boiled eggs can be stored in the refrigerator for up to a week.

Credit: America’s Test Kitchen / YouTube

They make for a quick breakfast, a protein-packed snack, or a lovely addition to salads like the Potatoe Salad with a Difference recipe shared by member @Babybird.
Key Takeaways
  • A home cook named Laura shared a simple trick to peel hard-boiled eggs with ease on social media.
  • Her method involves boiling eggs as usual, cooling them in cold water, cracking the shells all over, and then placing them back in the water for five minutes.
  • Laura's post highlighting this egg-peeling trick received an overwhelmingly positive response, with over 26,000 likes and a thousand comments.
  • Many commenters expressed gratitude and excitement to try out Laura’s trick for peeling eggs perfectly.
So, there you have it—a simple yet effective way to peel hard-boiled eggs. Have you tried it yet? We'd love to hear how this trick works for you. Share your experiences in the comments below.

Sponsored
I always put a teaspoon of carb soda in the water as it starts to boil,,magic for me

I prefer to enjoy the show while I watch my intrepid egg peeling hubby bash the bleedin shell to billyO then have a go at peeling the flaming thing. I find it mildly amusing. That's one of the reasons I keep boiling those googies up regularly...it's the half time entertainment.

I prefer to enjoy the show while I watch my intrepid egg peeling hubby bash the bleedin shell to billyO then have a go at peeling the flaming thing. I find it mildly amusing. That's one of the reasons I keep boiling those googies up regularly...it's the half time entertainment.
You crack me up!!! Always!

And how water do you waste with this method, If you like hard boiled eggs get a sterile jar some malt vinegar and your preferred spices and place the egg shells and all and pickle them then you can eat the shells with the egg.
I didn't know that. How long before they're ready?

I didn't know that. How long before they're ready?
About a little over a week If i remember, but we used to make them long before we neede them, same as pickled walnuts. Bak in the day we would fresh and frozen milk but when that ran out we had condensed mild, evaporated or milk powder which if mixed properly is very hard to tell the difference. It was only later in the seventies hat we could get gallon tins of fresh milk, the best of which I found I think was Tnogala which we used to stock up with in Melborne.

About a little over a week If i remember, but we used to make them long before we neede them, same as pickled walnuts. Bak in the day we would fresh and frozen milk but when that ran out we had condensed mild, evaporated or milk powder which if mixed properly is very hard to tell the difference. It was only later in the seventies hat we could get gallon tins of fresh milk, the best of which I found I think was Tnogala which we used to stock up with in Melborne.
Used to love condensed milk on bread as a child. Maybe I should give myself a little treat, and forget the sugar restriction for a few minutes.