SDC Rewards Member Upgrade yours now
A

April Bradford

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 16, 2022
Couple with Lost Baggage Hit With $380 Excess Fee — Vows Never to Fly Qantas Again

Few things ruin a good trip more than losing your baggage. But imagine being asked to pay for extra kilos upon returning home because you replaced your items after the mishap…

This happened to a Sydney couple who took a holiday to Bali early this month. When Corinne and Peter Olsen arrived at the Denpasar Airport on 2 July through a Qantas flight, they were told that the airline had mishandled one of their bags.

And then, on their way home 12 days later, they were asked to fork out over $380 in excess luggage fees — more than it would cost to stay a couple of extra days in the tropical paradise!

After sharing her experience online and even receiving a refund, Mrs Olsen vowed never to fly with Qantas ever again.

The luggage in question contained the couple’s toiletries and other travel essentials. The staff, failing to find the bag within three hours of arrival, compensated them with $60, a pair of pyjamas, and a toothbrush.

The Olsens did not lose hope while on the trip — they tried to monitor whether or not the airline would find the baggage. However, Qantas’ online tracking process proved to be unreliable.

9i14sd6dRbKT76I_jUSbbP5fEZ6dn0kygis6r6VQMPzs8DJ8I61KOYb48CUaTeDE3wwnLXO6JlSLRPpmK2eHQMWZ4YZvUz4on-6aGjWCKnO7piWE413rr3kamxdFlmzpQZ_KY4rABCYlPx8NOjRl6aE

Sydney Airport, the primary hub for Qantas, is the busiest airport in Australia. Image Credit: Shutterstock

The bag did eventually find its way to the duo after a week. But by then, they had already replaced the missing items needed for their Bali trip.

No harm, no foul, right? Unfortunately not.

On the day of their return to Sydney, the Olsens were told the contents of their luggage exceeded the luggage limit by 11 kg — and that they had to pay for it!

Corinne, disputing the extra cost after what happened to them when they arrived, was told by a Qantas employee that ‘either you pay or you stay.’

The stunned Corinne didn’t mince words in her disappointment. ‘Qantas is going down the gurgle,’ she said.

A Qantas spokesperson agreed that customers would not have to pay for the excess baggage in similar circumstances. However, he insisted they would have refunded the couple if they had complained once back in Australia.

Mrs Olsen had doubts that things would turn out that way if they did.

Recently, the biggest Australian airline has been in hot water for mishandling luggage. An outsourced baggage handler for Qantas has revealed that one in 10 bags of luggage either end up lost or unloaded at the Sydney Airport (that’s a whopping 10 per cent!) — a claim the national airline contests.

Another worker speaking anonymously with The Guardian warned flyers to not check in their bags with Qantas. Or, they can also avoid booking through the airline altogether.

gI1pasw1vXq7DRMy3TzhN8ziotI2xiKJXkh9eyKh3460wHGbL0Bv8CIq1KJKxVssLmg6PO336JnhZChCgAtPkAVS3IYeRuM9KsypPARTTXmdPaAWPRuB6Zx3nh2_7T24ijVstfxj8z4BOLc5lqZEko0

Corinne and Peter Olsen vacationed in Bali but had to buy new toiletries after Qantas failed to locate their luggage. Image Credit: Shutterstock

On Reddit, Aussies were also sharing their negative opinions about the airline.

‘I hate Qantas. I'll never fly with them unless there are no other options. They suck at being an airline now and caring about their customers,’ one person wrote.

‘Look! Could people stop using Qantas, you are inconveniencing Qantas management. They have to provide these staff and they don't really want to, it's subtracting income from them. So please, stop using Qantas,’ another posted sarcastically.

Would you still be confident flying with Qantas in the future? Why or why not? Tell us in the comments below! We’d also love to know any stories about losing bags on your travels and how the airline handled it.

I stopped flying Qantas about 40 years ago. I found i could fly business class on a range of other airlines cheaper than the Qantas economy fare. I have flown on over 30 different airlines throughout the world and would rate Qantas as one of the worst.

A relative arriving from the UK 20 years ago had her bag misplaced, and when it was found and delivered to her two days later the person dropping it off told her there were 25 people working full time out of Melbourne airport to deliver lost baggage! And this is the luggage that’s eventually found. Of course, it’s not just Qantas, but it shows how often luggage goes missing.

Haven't flown Qantas for years as they are too expensive.
Although my luggage went missing flying with Virgin from Hobart to Darwin via Sydney and still they have no idea where it is, after 13 days and the baggage service area is useless. One male asked what Country I was in when I rang and then thought that Tasmania was part of New South Wales!
No offer of compensation of any sort from Virgin, currently working through putting a claim in for what we had to buy to survive in Darwin and for the cost of our luggage, but they will not cover the full cost of replacing all my clothes etc. Have to provide receipts to substantiate your claim. Who keeps receipts for their clothes they have purchased. Very unhappy with the customer care from Virgin.
My luggage has my full contact details on it but still no one has any idea where it is.

• Sad
  • Angry
Reactions: Tervueren and Ricci
I will be very reluctant to fly Qantas after my recent experience. I was flying adelaide/Sydney/New Zealand. The first problem was that my flight , whilst leaving on time, had to circle in Sydney due Extra air traffic. My flight landed some 40 mins later. This was the time that my international flight was supposedly boarding. I brought this to the attention of a flight attendant. I asked her if I would be ok. Her response was ‘ I don’t know. Let’s hope your connecting flight is running late.!
After finally arriving in Wellington, my luggage was not there. I had to fill out a form and could follow my baggage on line. Not ok! 48 hrs later the web site was still telling me they were searching for my luggage. I called the number and the person only asked me for all the same information I had previously filled out. My luggage finally arrived. There was no email, phone call to let me know it had been delivered to my accomodation . All I can say is I’m glad I had a spare pair of undies and my toiletries/ medication with me.
Very poor service Qantas. So disappointed.

• Sad
Reactions: Tervueren and Ricci
Few things ruin a good trip more than losing your baggage. But imagine being asked to pay for extra kilos upon returning home because you replaced your items after the mishap…

This happened to a Sydney couple who took a holiday to Bali early this month. When Corinne and Peter Olsen arrived at the Denpasar Airport on 2 July through a Qantas flight, they were told that the airline had mishandled one of their bags.

And then, on their way home 12 days later, they were asked to fork out over $380 in excess luggage fees — more than it would cost to stay a couple of extra days in the tropical paradise!

After sharing her experience online and even receiving a refund, Mrs Olsen vowed never to fly with Qantas ever again.

The luggage in question contained the couple’s toiletries and other travel essentials. The staff, failing to find the bag within three hours of arrival, compensated them with $60, a pair of pyjamas, and a toothbrush.

The Olsens did not lose hope while on the trip — they tried to monitor whether or not the airline would find the baggage. However, Qantas’ online tracking process proved to be unreliable.

9i14sd6dRbKT76I_jUSbbP5fEZ6dn0kygis6r6VQMPzs8DJ8I61KOYb48CUaTeDE3wwnLXO6JlSLRPpmK2eHQMWZ4YZvUz4on-6aGjWCKnO7piWE413rr3kamxdFlmzpQZ_KY4rABCYlPx8NOjRl6aE

Sydney Airport, the primary hub for Qantas, is the busiest airport in Australia. Image Credit: Shutterstock

The bag did eventually find its way to the duo after a week. But by then, they had already replaced the missing items needed for their Bali trip.

No harm, no foul, right? Unfortunately not.

On the day of their return to Sydney, the Olsens were told the contents of their luggage exceeded the luggage limit by 11 kg — and that they had to pay for it!

Corinne, disputing the extra cost after what happened to them when they arrived, was told by a Qantas employee that ‘either you pay or you stay.’

The stunned Corinne didn’t mince words in her disappointment. ‘Qantas is going down the gurgle,’ she said.

A Qantas spokesperson agreed that customers would not have to pay for the excess baggage in similar circumstances. However, he insisted they would have refunded the couple if they had complained once back in Australia.

Mrs Olsen had doubts that things would turn out that way if they did.

Recently, the biggest Australian airline has been in hot water for mishandling luggage. An outsourced baggage handler for Qantas has revealed that one in 10 bags of luggage either end up lost or unloaded at the Sydney Airport (that’s a whopping 10 per cent!) — a claim the national airline contests.

Another worker speaking anonymously with The Guardian warned flyers to not check in their bags with Qantas. Or, they can also avoid booking through the airline altogether.

gI1pasw1vXq7DRMy3TzhN8ziotI2xiKJXkh9eyKh3460wHGbL0Bv8CIq1KJKxVssLmg6PO336JnhZChCgAtPkAVS3IYeRuM9KsypPARTTXmdPaAWPRuB6Zx3nh2_7T24ijVstfxj8z4BOLc5lqZEko0

Corinne and Peter Olsen vacationed in Bali but had to buy new toiletries after Qantas failed to locate their luggage. Image Credit: Shutterstock

On Reddit, Aussies were also sharing their negative opinions about the airline.

‘I hate Qantas. I'll never fly with them unless there are no other options. They suck at being an airline now and caring about their customers,’ one person wrote.

‘Look! Could people stop using Qantas, you are inconveniencing Qantas management. They have to provide these staff and they don't really want to, it's subtracting income from them. So please, stop using Qantas,’ another posted sarcastically.

Would you still be confident flying with Qantas in the future? Why or why not? Tell us in the comments below! We’d also love to know any stories about losing bags on your travels and how the airline handled it.
Everyone should be rethinking travelling with Qantas after their unconscionable behaviour in actually blaming the customers for their ineptitude

Reactions: Tervueren
When booking a flight to the UK. last week, I was given al alternative, fly Qantas, non stop route AND $100 cheaper, or stick with Emirates, cheaper, with a stop over. I chose Emirates, I like Dubai.

Haven't flown Qantas for years as they are too expensive.
Although my luggage went missing flying with Virgin from Hobart to Darwin via Sydney and still they have no idea where it is, after 13 days and the baggage service area is useless. One male asked what Country I was in when I rang and then thought that Tasmania was part of New South Wales!
No offer of compensation of any sort from Virgin, currently working through putting a claim in for what we had to buy to survive in Darwin and for the cost of our luggage, but they will not cover the full cost of replacing all my clothes etc. Have to provide receipts to substantiate your claim. Who keeps receipts for their clothes they have purchased. Very unhappy with the customer care from Virgin.
My luggage has my full contact details on it but still no one has any idea where it is.
Did you not have Travel Insurance to cover this?