Countless Aussies make this critical mistake on roundabouts—find out if you do!

Roundabouts can be confusing and frustrating for many drivers; even the most seasoned Australian motorists can get it wrong.

A recent viral dashcam footage has sparked a heated debate online.

It reveals a widespread misunderstanding of roundabout rules that could lead to dangerous situations on the road.

The video, which has since been removed, showed a car with a dashcam approaching a roundabout and taking the right, inside lane.

The driver indicated right, passed two exits, and then signalled left to take the third exit.

However, a near-miss occurred when a small truck entered the roundabout, almost colliding with the dashcam-equipped car as the driver attempted to exit.

1724906212983.png
Viral dashcam footage sparked debate over roundabout rules and revealed confusion among Aussie drivers. Credit: Facebook

The online community quickly weighed in, with many commenters pointing fingers at the dashcam driver for being in the wrong lane.

'Why are you exiting a roundabout from the inside lane?' one person questioned.

'The one driving this car is the problem. Go back and learn the road rules,' another commenter criticised.

Yet, the driver who posted the clip defended their actions, citing the road markings as guidance.

Indeed, upon entering the roundabout, a large white arrow on the right-hand lane indicated that drivers should be in the inside lane to turn right.

This sparked further debate, with some supporting the driver's interpretation of the road markings.

'Oh dear, all these people saying she's in the wrong lane are part of the problem,' a social media user said.

To clarify Queensland's rules for turning right at a roundabout:

First, position your vehicle in the right lane unless road markings indicate otherwise.

As you approach and enter the roundabout, use your right indicator.

Give way to all vehicles that are already on the roundabout.

Before exiting, switch to your left indicator and follow the exit lane markings.

Finally, stop indicating once you have exited the roundabout.

Confusion often arises when drivers are unsure which lane to be in when planning to exit the roundabout, especially if they take any exit other than the first.

The key is to plan ahead, position your vehicle in the correct lane before entering the roundabout, and be aware of and follow the specific lane markings present.
Key Takeaways
  • After dashcam footage went viral, it sparked a debate on the correct usage of roundabouts, highlighting widespread confusion about the road rules among Australian drivers.
  • The footage showed a near-collision at a roundabout, where the dashcam car's driver was criticised for exiting from the inside lane and nearly hitting a small truck.
  • Commenters on social media were divided over who was at fault, with many mistakenly blaming the dashcam driver for misunderstanding the road markings.
  • The Queensland government's rules stated that drivers should use the right lane to turn right at a roundabout unless indicated otherwise, use their right indicator upon entering, give way to vehicles already on the roundabout, use the left indicator before exiting following the lane marking, and stop indicating once they've exited.
Have you encountered similar confusion at roundabouts, or do you have tips for navigating them safely? Share your experiences and advice in the comments below.

Sponsored
I recently followed a driving school car with a learner at the wheel through a series of roundabouts (they are everywhere in my area) and not once did they indicate correctly. What hope is there if the correct rules are not being taught from the get go?

I’ve always looked at it this way, if your in the left lane you exit left first and second roads, if your in the right lane you exit second third or forth, sometimes it doesn’t always work with other traffic entering the roundabout

Another problem is the people who assume that if they approach a roundabout from the right of other vehicles they automatically have right of way over them.

They don't.

It's give way to vehicles already in the roundabout, even if they are on your left.

Plus you can not accelerate when approaching a roundabout, so you can beat someone to the line.

The rules explicitly require you to slow down when approaching a roundabout.

Though generally if there's doubt about who arrived fist the police will book the driver on the left if there's an accident.

But not if there is dashcam, surveillance cam or eye witnesses evidence that the vehicle on the right was not in the roundabout when the vehicle on the left entered, or accelerated into it, the while the other vehicle was maintaining a constant speed.

Giveway to traffic on the roundabout.
Technically there is supposed to be only one car on the roundabout at a time, so the person on the inside lane has right of way to exit and no other cars should be on the roundabout until that car has moved off.

• Haha
Reactions: Greg350
Queensland roundabout primary rule.
When approaching a roundabout you must give way to all vehicles already on the roundabout.

I always liked the rule "give way to your right." I think in this instance it should apply. I'm with the dadhcam driver. Just to be sure I always proceed with caution in roundabouts.

Reactions: Jersey Girl
Oh! Don’t get me started on roundabouts!!!
Too late you, already have!
I am fed up with drivers who don’t get the basic rule of a roundabout. It’s simple. “You must give way to ALL traffic that is ALREADY ON THE ROUNDABOUT , whether it is on your right OR YOUR LEFT!
If the rule was simply “give way to the right”, why even have a round about there in the first place?
If it is a multi-laned roundabout, same rules apply. And exiting from the right lane, or inside lane, is permitted where road arrows allow.
SIMPLE!!!
The exact same situation happened to me a few months back when a government bus charged into the roundabout whilst I was in it, cutting me off when I attempted to exit the roundabout legally. I made a note of the bus’s number plate and reported it to Services NSW, but, predictably, I got no reply.
And finally, when approaching a round about, slow down so that you can stop is necessary but, remember, you only need to give way to traffic that is ALREADY ON THE ROUNDABOUT (IN EITHER DIRECTION), not traffic that is approaching a roundabout! (Unless, of course, it is an idiot speeding toward the roundabout who thinks the rules don’t apply to them! Then, let commonsense apply.)
Ok. Feeling better now that is off my chest.

I am fed up with drivers who don’t get the basic rule of a roundabout. It’s simple. “You must give way to ALL traffic that is ALREADY ON THE ROUNDABOUT , whether it is on your right OR YOUR LEFT!
I would be very concerned if I had to give way to someone on my left at a roundabout. Why would I give way to somebody who had already passed me. Unless you are implying that the driver is negotiating the roundabout in an anti clockwise direction!

The only traffic accident I experienced in the past 30 years was at a roundabout with exactly the same scenario as the poster.

Can't believe all this hype,common sense rules give way to the right unless you have already entered the roundabout and indicate correctly. I had to go around a huge roundabout twice in UK because some idiot wass hogging the lane

• Haha
Reactions: PattiB
Oh! Don’t get me started on roundabouts!!!
Too late you, already have!
If the rule was simply “give way to the right”, why even have a round about there in the first place?
If it is a multi-laned roundabout, same rules apply. And exiting from the right lane, or inside lane, is permitted where road arrows allow.
SIMPLE!!!
The exact same situation happened to me a few months back when a government bus charged into the roundabout whilst I was in it, cutting me off when I attempted to exit the roundabout legally. I made a note of the bus’s number plate and reported it to Services NSW, but, predictably, I got no reply.
And finally, when approaching a round about, slow down so that you can stop is necessary but, remember, you only need to give way to traffic that is ALREADY ON THE ROUNDABOUT (IN EITHER DIRECTION), not traffic that is approaching a roundabout! (Unless, of course, it is an idiot speeding toward the roundabout who thinks the rules don’t apply to them! Then, let commonsense apply.)
Ok. Feeling better now that is off my chest.
I know of a lady who insists that you actually STOP and give way at a roundabout. Fortunately we are not close enough friends to ever go anywhere together or I’d have to insist on driving as we have a lot of roundabouts around Launceston, some so small that people struggle to get around them.

I know of a lady who insists that you actually STOP and give way at a roundabout. Fortunately we are not close enough friends to ever go anywhere together or I’d have to insist on driving as we have a lot of roundabouts around Launceston, some so small that people struggle to get around them.
I am amazed at the number of bus and truck drivers that go over the top of roundabouts when they are more than capable of negotiating them correctly.

The penalty for driving over a roundabout in NSW is a $272 fine and four demerit points.

I would be very concerned if I had to give way to someone on my left at a roundabout. Why would I give way to somebody who had already passed me. Unless you are implying that the driver is negotiating the roundabout in an anti clockwise direction!
Giving way doesn't just mean stopping, it also means slowing down, changing lanes or adjusting your direction of travel.

Way is short for 'Headway' the nautical term for the 'speed and direction of travel of a vessel.

So if there's a vehicle in a roundabout travelling from left to right in front of you and you judge that you can safely pass through behind them, without stopping, by simply slowing down or 'legally' changing lanes, that counts as giving way to them.

BTW this brings up another frequently misunderstood road rule.

Turning into a road, change lanes or pulling out from the side of the road and forcing a vehicle with the right of way to slow down, or change lanes sharply, is failing to give way.

Even if they were exceeding the speed limit.

You are required to ensure that you accelerate your vehicle to the speed limit, or it's/your maximum allowed safe speed, far enough ahead of the vehicle behind you to allow them to maintain their Headway.

I recently followed a driving school car with a learner at the wheel through a series of roundabouts (they are everywhere in my area) and not once did they indicate correctly. What hope is there if the correct rules are not being taught from the get go?
They are taught NOT to indicate left out of roundabouts because on test they are not marked down for no indicator. That's if it's a single lane roundabout, dual lane roundabouts they must indicate. Yes it applies to all roundabouts, but that's how the road authorities see it.

• Wow