Could your dog be at risk? Learn from one woman's 'scary' vet visit and the ‘deadly mistake’ she made!

Pet ownership is a huge blessing. Many rely on their four-legged companions for companionship, emotional support, physical assistance, and so much more.

Which is why it’s so heartbreaking when something unexpected threatens their health.

Kiwi pet owner Kayla Sylvia-Jayne shared her ‘really traumatic’ experience of almost losing her beloved pup, Malibu, due to mould poisoning.

Now, she’s hoping to spread awareness of this common—yet potentially deadly—mistake.

SDC Images (14).png
A pet owner shared the ‘deadly’ mistake she made with her dog in hopes of raising awareness to other pet owners. Image source: rawpixel.com on Freepik.

'I honestly had no idea that this could happen,' Kayla said.

Her traumatic 24-hour ordeal began when Kayla was cleaning out her kitchen and tossed out some mouldy fruits.

'I was cleaning out my fridge and cupboards and there were just some rotten strawberries and apples that I threw into a bag. I didn't really think she had eaten anything, but obviously she did and I didn't think much of it.'

She noted that the 'tiny bit' of rotten fruit her dog ate had 'messed her up so bad'.

'I woke up at midnight to her having full tremors, it was almost like a seizure.'

'It got so much worse and I drove her to our local emergency 24-hour hospital which is like 10 minutes down the road, and in that drive, she just deteriorated so fast.

'If I had gotten her there any later, she'd be dead. It would be so much worse.'

Mouldy food contains a poisonous substance called mycotoxins, which can be extremely dangerous for dogs. What’s more worrying is that they can still be affected even if they just nibble a tiny bit of spoiled food—and it’s not just our four-legged friends that can be at risk either, humans can be in danger too!

'The mycotoxins in mouldy food can cause convulsions, muscle tremors and weakness,' said Royal Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals New South Wales (RSPCA NSW) on their website.

'Some dogs can have aspiration during the convulsions, which can lead to death.'

'Please note that while humans can eat some types of mould, such as the type contained in blue cheese, animals cannot.'

Fortunately for Malibu, she received immediate medical attention and was monitored with prescribed medication for a few days. However, Malibu suddenly suffered from another seizure.

'They gave her some medication to stop the seizure and it stopped right away which is a good sign and [she was] just smiling and wagging her tail after,' Kayla said.

'One of the major concerns is that with these tremors, her body heat gets really hot because she's constantly shaking, and that can cause seizures, which are super scary.'

3s571w6zS7idkoan5C1XCkYIIa45C-oxBytBC5mG0fJg6UPhrWmDpb3EW_V17Wq4u5sLvbMLzjpWy5XS-xj6uN1NlmzSgmysj11RXJIlIIHVbuF7CBHxzAitk3VzHt7J1k5Xl2Lsc5ghGI0_XOewNXE

Moulds contain mycotoxins, which can cause convulsions, muscle tremors and weakness in dogs. Image source: TikTok/@kaylasylviajayne.

Kayla’s video, which received almost 100,000 views, served as a reminder to all pet owners—to be extra careful around mouldy foods and never to leave them unattended if there’s a four-legged friend around!

Other users thanked Kayla for sharing her experience, with one saying: 'Thanks for sharing, I am a dog mama and I had no idea! In tears for you and your bubba, praying she will recover ASAP.'

'This happened to my in-laws' dogs. Very scary! You caught it early. Your dog will recover,' another added.

'Mould can also grow in their food bags/containers so it’s important to wash these regularly!' A third reminded.

It’s also especially important to store pet food in a dry, cool, and sealed environment, as mould can quickly grow in food bags or containers.

Tip
If you ever suspect that your pet has eaten something they shouldn’t, you may contact your local vet for medical advice.

You can watch Kayla’s full video below:

Source: TikTok/@kaylasylviajayne.

Key Takeaways
  • A pet owner shared a warning about the dangers of mould poisoning in dogs after her pet nearly died from ingesting rotten food.
  • The mould in the food can cause convulsions, muscle tremors, weakness in dogs and in severe cases, could lead to death.
  • The video shared by the pet owner received almost 100,000 views, with many expressing their shock about the fatal consequences of mould for dogs.
  • It was also suggested that cleaning pet food bags or containers regularly will prevent mould growth.
Sharing is caring, dear members! Don’t forget to share this article with your pet-loving friends and family so that together, we can help keep our furry friends safe!

What are your thoughts on Kayla’s story? Do you know of any other toxic food that we should avoid giving our furry friends? Share them with us in the comments below!

Attachments

• Photo_20230922_123209_0000.png
    Photo_20230922_123209_0000.png
    696.9 KB · Views: 0
  • Sad
Reactions: Liag and Ricki
Sponsored
Pet ownership is a huge blessing. Many rely on their four-legged companions for companionship, emotional support, physical assistance, and so much more.

Which is why it’s so heartbreaking when something unexpected threatens their health.

Kiwi pet owner Kayla Sylvia-Jayne shared her ‘really traumatic’ experience of almost losing her beloved pup, Malibu, due to mould poisoning.

Now, she’s hoping to spread awareness of this common—yet potentially deadly—mistake.

View attachment 30581
A pet owner shared the ‘deadly’ mistake she made with her dog in hopes of raising awareness to other pet owners. Image source: rawpixel.com on Freepik.

'I honestly had no idea that this could happen,' Kayla said.

Her traumatic 24-hour ordeal began when Kayla was cleaning out her kitchen and tossed out some mouldy fruits.

'I was cleaning out my fridge and cupboards and there were just some rotten strawberries and apples that I threw into a bag. I didn't really think she had eaten anything, but obviously she did and I didn't think much of it.'

She noted that the 'tiny bit' of rotten fruit her dog ate had 'messed her up so bad'.

'I woke up at midnight to her having full tremors, it was almost like a seizure.'

'It got so much worse and I drove her to our local emergency 24-hour hospital which is like 10 minutes down the road, and in that drive, she just deteriorated so fast.

'If I had gotten her there any later, she'd be dead. It would be so much worse.'

Mouldy food contains a poisonous substance called mycotoxins, which can be extremely dangerous for dogs. What’s more worrying is that they can still be affected even if they just nibble a tiny bit of spoiled food—and it’s not just our four-legged friends that can be at risk either, humans can be in danger too!

'The mycotoxins in mouldy food can cause convulsions, muscle tremors and weakness,' said Royal Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals New South Wales (RSPCA NSW) on their website.

'Some dogs can have aspiration during the convulsions, which can lead to death.'

'Please note that while humans can eat some types of mould, such as the type contained in blue cheese, animals cannot.'

Fortunately for Malibu, she received immediate medical attention and was monitored with prescribed medication for a few days. However, Malibu suddenly suffered from another seizure.

'They gave her some medication to stop the seizure and it stopped right away which is a good sign and [she was] just smiling and wagging her tail after,' Kayla said.

'One of the major concerns is that with these tremors, her body heat gets really hot because she's constantly shaking, and that can cause seizures, which are super scary.'

3s571w6zS7idkoan5C1XCkYIIa45C-oxBytBC5mG0fJg6UPhrWmDpb3EW_V17Wq4u5sLvbMLzjpWy5XS-xj6uN1NlmzSgmysj11RXJIlIIHVbuF7CBHxzAitk3VzHt7J1k5Xl2Lsc5ghGI0_XOewNXE

Moulds contain mycotoxins, which can cause convulsions, muscle tremors and weakness in dogs. Image source: TikTok/@kaylasylviajayne.

Kayla’s video, which received almost 100,000 views, served as a reminder to all pet owners—to be extra careful around mouldy foods and never to leave them unattended if there’s a four-legged friend around!

Other users thanked Kayla for sharing her experience, with one saying: 'Thanks for sharing, I am a dog mama and I had no idea! In tears for you and your bubba, praying she will recover ASAP.'

'This happened to my in-laws' dogs. Very scary! You caught it early. Your dog will recover,' another added.

'Mould can also grow in their food bags/containers so it’s important to wash these regularly!' A third reminded.

It’s also especially important to store pet food in a dry, cool, and sealed environment, as mould can quickly grow in food bags or containers.

Tip
If you ever suspect that your pet has eaten something they shouldn’t, you may contact your local vet for medical advice.

You can watch Kayla’s full video below:

Source: TikTok/@kaylasylviajayne.

Key Takeaways

• A pet owner shared a warning about the dangers of mould poisoning in dogs after her pet nearly died from ingesting rotten food.
  • The mould in the food can cause convulsions, muscle tremors, weakness in dogs and in severe cases, could lead to death.
  • The video shared by the pet owner received almost 100,000 views, with many expressing their shock about the fatal consequences of mould for dogs.
  • It was also suggested that cleaning pet food bags or containers regularly will prevent mould growth.
Sharing is caring, dear members! Don’t forget to share this article with your pet-loving friends and family so that together, we can help keep our furry friends safe!

What are your thoughts on Kayla’s story? Do you know of any other toxic food that we should avoid giving our furry friends? Share them with us in the comments below!

Pets are like having a toddler - you gotta keep everything you wouldn't want a kid to get into away from them or they will be into it - pills and medicines, soft plastic, chocolate, certain plants and flowers, poisons/pesticides, anything in the onion/garlic family, trash, the list goes on and on.
I even had to keep an eye out for the cat hopping into the fridge when i was getting things out/putting stuff away as she would crawl up onto the lowest shelf and go in the back behind stuff. Also had to keep the washing machine lid closed as she would hop into there too.
Don't forget the toilet lid should be closed as some pets can fall in or worse hop in!
Pets can also be accidentally shut into cupboards - especially cats - i had one (the same one who took a liking to hiding in the fridge) who loved to get into the bottom of the wardrobe and if i shut it she was trapped - they can end up suffocating as the air can run out in there! Lucky i found her before it came to that. some of those don't have much airflow into them.
If you have a pet living with elderly people make sure they don't leave any medication loose as the pet might either find it on the floor or furniture or even chew a pill box (cardboard with sheets inside) - most human medications are not good for pets to have. (i lived with my grandmother for a while and i had to check the floors and furniture several times a day so the cat didn't 'find' loose meds of hers around as my grandmother often dropped them or lost them on thefloor/furniture and just got more out and she left whole boxes out unprotected. Pets don't understand it is not safe for them or not to play with or eat it and sometimes you find out too late, just like little kids.
Prevention is better than costly vet bills. If they don't have access to things that are going to harm them it is less vet bills, they feel better and so does your wallet/purse.

Reactions: Jennylolo