Could YOU be the next victim of the ChatGPT Email Scam? What you should know

Even for the most tech-savvy among us, the digital world can sometimes feel like a minefield full of unthinkable pitfalls. And as seniors, while we might not have grown up surrounded by technology, we certainly can't afford to ignore the latest trends and threats. One growing concern nowadays is the rise of AI-generated scams, particularly the so-called 'ChatGPT Email Scam.'

1683771726616.png
Source: Tero Vesalainen, Shutterstock

But fear not, dear members of the Seniors Discount Club, because we're here to help you navigate these treacherous digital waters by bringing you the latest information on the ChatGPT Email Scam and how to avoid falling for it.

First of all, let's talk about what ChatGPT actually is. In simple terms, it's an AI (Artificial Intelligence) program that is quite similar to an exceptionally bright child—smart, yes, but also easily manipulated if given the right cues. This technology has been used by ill-intended cybercriminals to create convincing and personalised scam emails that exploit user trust.

With ChatGPT, scammers can craft more sophisticated social engineering scams aimed at taking your hard-earned money. These tricky cyber thieves have figured out ways to hoodwink the AI into complying with their malicious requests—by avoiding specific trigger words, for example—allowing them to generate customised content to target vulnerable Australians.

These AI-generated emails can be scarily accurate because sometimes information about us, like our addresses, our job history, and even our families, can readily be found on the internet. Scammers use this wealth of data to create emails hand-tailored to us, which often contain details that might make them seem trustworthy at first glance.

Some examples of these AI-generated scams could include emails from supposed coworkers or friends asking for your help on work-related tasks, or a message appearing to be from your grandchild's school requesting donations. It's chilling to think that such credible and believable emails are designed solely to exploit our trusting nature.

1683771726747.png
Image by Werner Moser from Pixabay

But that's not all, folks. These scams are so sophisticated that they can easily slip by the conventional email filters we typically rely on to catch unwanted spam. This is because, unlike most spam, the grammar and spelling in ChatGPT-generated emails tend to be spot-on. Additionally, scammers cleverly instruct the AI to avoid any standard 'greetings' or trigger words that are typically flagged by those filters.

You might be thinking, 'Well, this all sounds terrifying, so what can I do to stay safe?' While it's true that there isn't a one-size-fits-all solution, we can offer some handy tips to help protect you from falling victim to these scams:

1. Take advantage of phishing-awareness training available on reputable websites like the ACCC's Scamwatch. Much of the advice provided in these sessions can be applied to AI-generated scams.

2. Always be suspicious of any email or text message that asks for personal information or money, even if it appears convincing. If you're not sure about the authenticity of such a request, the best way to verify it is to call or meet with the sender (if possible) to confirm its validity. In this day and age, it's better to be safe than sorry!

Examples of Previous AI-Assisted Scams​

As technology continues to advance, scammers are finding new and more sophisticated ways to trick people into giving away personal information or money. It's important to remain vigilant and keep up with the latest developments in scamming techniques to avoid falling victim to these schemes. With this in mind, let's take a closer look at the other examples of previous AI-assisted scams.

Scammers using AI technology are becoming more sophisticated, and for now, it’s hard for existing security measures to detect them. AI-assisted scam techniques have been used for various types of fraud, from impersonating real companies and false charities to sending malicious spam emails and ‘phishing’ for personal information or financial gain.

In January 2021, there was a spike of fraudulent emails claiming to offer Covid-19 relief funds meant to steal personal and financial data from unsuspecting victims. These emails used AI-generated text formats to replicate authentic messages from the government and other trusted organisations.

Another example of AI-assisted scams occurred together with the release of the IBM Watson-type artificial intelligence (AI) platform, ChatGPT, where scammers posed as recruiters offering job opportunities.

Furthermore, AI tools are being used to clone voices and create realistic-looking images and videos, known as ‘deepfakes’. These can be used to authenticate fake financial documents or create fake identities that can be used to defraud innocent victims. Check out this must-read article about deepfakes.

Scammers can also use AI-generated language processing to their advantage by avoiding trigger words and unusual writing styles that can be identified by email filters.

The potential of AI technology and its widespread availability means that scammers will likely become more sophisticated in the future. It’s important for all of us to do our research and remain vigilant to ensure we don’t fall victim to these scams.
Key Takeaways
  • AI-generated email scams are becoming more sophisticated and personalised, increasing the risk for potential victims.
  • Scammers use ChatGPT to craft convincing emails, exploiting publicly available information about individuals and evading standard spam filters by avoiding trigger words and maintaining good grammar.
  • As of now, there isn't reliable technology to detect and filter AI-generated scams.
  • To avoid falling prey to AI scams, be cautious with emails requesting personal information or money, and verify the authenticity of the sender through a phone call or in-person meeting when possible.
So, dear members of the Seniors Discount Club, remain vigilant and cautious when dealing with the ever-evolving threats of the digital world. Stay tech-savvy, and most importantly, stay safe! As your trusted source for seniors’ news and discounts, we'll continue to keep you updated on new scams and digital dangers. In the meantime, let's outsmart those pesky cyber criminals together!

Sponsored
I have recently been scammed twice using Gumtree. Paid for some embroidery machine hoops, $50 one seller, $60 the other. As soon as I paid they blocked me on gumtree. Out of the last 10 contacts on gumtree, 9 were scammers. I have put in a formal complaint to them, but a waste of time. The police and my bank are not interested because they are such small amounts, but to an aged pensioner like me it is a lot of money. I have been told that buyers who have long weird digits after their names and who only joined gumtree recently are not to be trusted. I dont feel I can trust buying online again.

I have recently been scammed twice using Gumtree. Paid for some embroidery machine hoops, $50 one seller, $60 the other. As soon as I paid they blocked me on gumtree. Out of the last 10 contacts on gumtree, 9 were scammers. I have put in a formal complaint to them, but a waste of time. The police and my bank are not interested because they are such small amounts, but to an aged pensioner like me it is a lot of money. I have been told that buyers who have long weird digits after their names and who only joined gumtree recently are not to be trusted. I dont feel I can trust buying online again.
One out of 10 is already horrendous, but nine!
I received an email from my daughter asking for money.
It said she and the family were out and she had forgotten here purse, could I please put $150 into and she gave an account number.
I only got suspicious because my daughter is not a person that would leave anything behind! So I rang her, it was a scam.
But was there even the smallest bit when you thought you should be sending the money?
That's what scares me personally --- that I might not listen to my intuition when it matters most 😅

I got one telling me the phone had been dropped down the toilet, I was tempted to reply "Oh sh!t you are in the poo", but "don't feed the trolls" prevailed & I marked it as spam. My child doesn't live in Australia & there's no way she would call me"momm"

Reactions: terri and Macarj