CommBank commotion: Customer’s online banking ordeal raises alarm

In the digital age, where convenience meets the click of a button, online banking has become something many use for managing finances.

However, with this ease of access comes a lurking danger that many of us may overlook: cybersecurity threats.

A recent incident involving a Commonwealth Bank customer serves as a stark reminder of the potential perils that can accompany online banking.

The customer, who had been using the same password and PIN since opening their account in 2018, encountered a chilling scenario late Monday night.

At around 11:30 pm, they attempted to log into their account, but were met with a baffling roadblock—their correct login details were inexplicably rejected.

'Neither my password nor my PIN was correct,' the customer recounted.

‘I haven’t changed both of these since I opened the account in 2018—which now I’m thinking is not a good practice.’

compressed-shutterstock_242814229.jpeg
A CommBank customer had the scare of his life after failing to log into his online bank account. Credits: Shutterstock

The thought of being hacked is enough to unsettle anyone, especially when it concerns the sanctity of our hard-earned savings.

After an anxiety-ridden hour, the customer managed to access their account, much to their relief, their funds were intact.

The reason behind the failure to access their account despite the accurate information remained uncertain, but they suspected it might have been an attempt by someone to infiltrate the system.

‘Luckily, I can reset it easily and there was no suspicious transaction, and my money is still in there,’ the customer shared.

In the aftermath of the scare, the customer took immediate action.

They reset their password and PIN, locked their card temporarily, and reduced their withdrawal limit to a mere $100—a prudent move to mitigate any potential financial damage.

The incident left the customer ‘too scared to sleep’, a sentiment that many empathised with.

'I don't have a lot of money and I have no family for a safety net. That’s all I have, and I’ve worked so hard for it,' they said, highlighting the vulnerability that many individuals face in the absence of a financial buffer.

The customer's ordeal sparked a discussion on social media, where they sought advice on how to proceed.

While some users suggested transferring funds to a friend's account, the consensus was clear: contact Commonwealth Bank immediately.

'It's important (CommBank) are made aware of this ASAP,' advised one concerned netizen.

Others speculated that the issue might have been a temporary glitch with the bank's app, a common enough occurrence that can cause undue stress.

In response to the incident, a CommBank spokesperson assured that there were no internal issues that night which could have led to the login problems.

The bank also emphasised the importance of using two-factor authentication and avoiding the reuse of passwords across multiple accounts—sound advice in an era where digital security breaches are all too common.

For more detailed security tips, visit CommBank's website or consult with your bank's customer service team as they can provide personalised advice tailored to your specific banking habits and needs.

This report of a customer having a distressing experience with Commonwealth Bank's online banking platform comes amid escalating concerns regarding the potential security vulnerabilities of non-physical financial transactions.

An urgent warning earlier came from Commonwealth Bank when it advised customers to remain vigilant against scams, emphasising the importance of proactive measures to safeguard personal information and financial assets.

This cautionary advice serves as a timely reminder of the critical need for heightened awareness and diligence in navigating digital transactions amidst evolving cyber threats.
Key Takeaways
  • A Commonwealth Bank customer experienced difficulties logging into their online banking account, suspecting a possible hacking attempt.
  • After initially being unable to access their account with the correct password and PIN, they later gained access and found no money missing or suspicious transactions.
  • The customer took added security measures by changing their password and pin, locking their card, and adjusting withdrawal limits.
  • CommBank confirmed there were no internal issues that night and reminded customers of the importance of two-factor authentication and not reusing passwords.
Have you ever faced a similar online banking scare? How do you protect your financial information in the digital world? Share your experiences and tips in the comments below.

Sponsored
Commonwealth Bank - no f***ks given, no responsibility taken.

As a staff member I would like to let you know that I give plenty of f***ks every day, please remember that there are humans on the other end of your comments
Also an ex CBA staff. Don't mean the staff, just the system as a whole. Commbank happen to be in today's firing line.

Reactions: Annna and Vio Kot
I have been with Westpac for many years and would be very happy if they offered 2fa and would use it.

We have always had our money in two different banks so if something happens with one bank we would have the other to turn to. Our main source of money is in our super accounts and the money we have is low in both bank accounts. So if the scammers to manage to access either account they won’t get away with too much.

How odd that since Pauls Keating's 1994 bragging about the telecommunications highway we have seen people use plastic cards to pay for stuff on the telecommunications highway, including groceries, and that scammers and their scams have grown exponentially to the point we are seeing threats to the only currency that will be available to us in the future, the plastic card in a machine.

We are absolute suckers for "instantaneous convenience" from which, long-term, only the scammers, the banks and government profit.

The telecommunications highway has bred telecommunications highway-men (and women; equality of opportunity is there).

Last edited:
Reactions: Cheezil
I wonder if the person who has reported this problem has had a computer update. I find that whenever Microsoft do updates they turn off the numbers lock key so when I type in numbers for logging in it says wrong password. I am no typist but manage by watching the letters and numbers on the keyboard so do not notice that the numbers have not been included in the attempted login.

Reactions: Colette 3799
This happened to me once. When I changed my password and pin access using the bank app, the systen only changed my app details and not the web site details. I could log into my app ok but not the web site. It took a couple of ph calls to find out what was going on but was sorted out promptly.

I wonder if the person who has reported this problem has had a computer update. I find that whenever Microsoft do updates they turn off the numbers lock key so when I type in numbers for logging in it says wrong password. I am no typist but manage by watching the letters and numbers on the keyboard so do not notice that the numbers have not been included in the attempted login.
hello, a similiar thing happened to me as well, my computor did an update, microsoft and was unable to access my bank, commbank, via net bank, well initially found that the upgrade hides all passwords, or when typing them in acts a double, damn it was a nuisance, but took a week or two , and finally worked it out,