Comedian shares ‘devastating’ health update: ‘I just couldn’t take any more of it’

In a world where laughter is often the best medicine, it's with a heavy heart that we share the news of a comedian’s latest health update.

Known for her sharp wit and the ability to find humour in the darkest times, she has been a beacon of light for many.

However, the comedian has recently shared a 'devastating' update from her hospital bed that has left her fans and friends in the entertainment industry reeling.

Scottish comedian Janey Godley, at 63 years old, has confirmed that she is now receiving end-of-life hospice care after a valiant battle with ovarian cancer.

In a poignant video shared from her hospital bed, Godley revealed that she is 'near the end' of her journey, a statement that has struck a chord with her followers and admirers worldwide.

Screenshot 2024-09-27 at 10.47.18 AM.png
Scottish comedian Janey Godley confirmed that she is now at the end-of-life care in the hospital. Credit: @janeygodley / Instagram

The journey of this beloved comedian has been nothing short of remarkable. Godley's battle with cancer has been public, with her candidness and bravery in facing the disease head-on inspiring many.

Unfortunately, after being readmitted to the hospital with sepsis and undergoing exhaustive chemotherapy treatments, Godley announced that she is 'out of options' as the cancer has spread.

In her video, Godley expressed her current situation with honesty.

'So I’m now in palliative care and I’m at end-of-life care now in the hospital,' she said.

'The [chemotherapy] ran out of options, and I just couldn’t take any more of it, and the cancer has spread.'

Despite the gravity of her health, Godley's spirit remains indomitable. She took the time to express her gratitude for the National Health Service (NHS), her caregivers, family, friends, and fans who have supported her through this challenging time.

Her humour and resilience have not only endeared her to the public but have also garnered her support from high-profile figures.

Nicola Sturgeon, the former Scottish First Minister, whose COVID-19 briefings Godley famously parodied, sent her love.

‘Sending you so much love, my friend. You are an inspiration,’ Sturgeon said.

Celebrity chef Nigella Lawson, Australian comedian Magda Szubanski, and Star Wars actor Mark Hamill were among the many who shared their heartache and well wishes for the comedian.

‘Oh Janey, this is heartbreaking. Thank you for all you’ve given the world—and for being you,’ Lawson said.

‘Oh Janey darlin. I’m so sorry, my love. Sending you so much love and strength and gratitude for bringing hilarity to the world,’ Szubanski commented.

‘Sending you much love and best wishes always, Janey,’ Hamill wrote.

From her humble beginnings in Glasgow, she rose to prominence as a co-presenter on BBC Radio 4's Loose Ends and fronted the BBC Radio 4 series The C Bomb.

Her fearless activism was highlighted when she protested against Donald Trump with her 'unwelcome' sign at Turnberry golf resort in 2016.

In 2023, her contributions to comedy were recognised when she received the inaugural Sir Billy Connolly Spirit of Glasgow Award at the Glasgow International Comedy Festival.

‘It is devastating news to know that I’m facing end-of-life, but we all come to an end sometime,’ she said in her video.

‘I want to thank everybody for supporting the family, especially (her daughter) Ashley and my husband.’

‘The overwhelming support has been amazing, and I don’t know how long I’ve got left before anybody asks, so I just want you to know that I appreciate all the love you’ve gave me and all the support. Cancer affects two in one people, and it’s affected me.’

Godley's wish for everyone to have a lovely Christmas and her hope to be present for it too is a testament to her enduring spirit.

You can watch Godley’s video below:

Credit: @janeygodley / Instagram

Key Takeaways

• Scottish comedian Janey Godley has shared a devastating update regarding her health from her hospital bed, revealing she is now receiving end-of-life hospice care due to ovarian cancer.
  • She announced that chemotherapy was no longer an option as the cancer had spread, leading her to cancel her upcoming comedy tour.
  • Famous friends and celebrities, including Nicola Sturgeon, Nigella Lawson, and Mark Hamill, have expressed their support and love for Godley following her announcement.
  • Godley, who achieved viral fame with her comedic parodies, has been grateful for the support from her family, friends, fans, and the NHS, and has acknowledged the overwhelming support she’s received.
Our thoughts, memories, and messages of support for Janey Godley and her family during this difficult time.

Sponsored