Comedian David Hughes rings in the New Year with unexpected hospital visit: ‘Worst pain of my life’

TV comedian Dave Hughes, affectionately known as Hughesy, is a familiar face on Australian television, known for his comedic timing and affable personality.

His New Year's Eve accident, however, was no laughing matter.

The beloved 53-year-old was rushed to the hospital following a surfing accident on the Gold Coast, resulting in a dislocated shoulder and nerve damage.

The incident left Hughesy in what he described as the 'worst pain' of his life, a sobering start to the new year for a man known for his jovial spirit and quick wit.

20240102_081756_0000.png
David Hughes’ surfing accident on New Year’s Eve was an unfortunate way to celebrate the new year. Credit: @dhughesy / Instagram

Hughesy suffered a severe shoulder dislocation. The injury was so painful that lifeguards on the scene administered Penthrox, an emergency painkiller also known as the green whistle, to help alleviate his suffering.

'Happy New Year. Had my least sober NYE in 30+ years,' Hughesy shared on social media.

'Green whistle came after two hours of worst pain of my life, plus morphine and the rest of them.’

‘Shoulder dislocation while surfing. 9 out of 10 level nerve damage.'

‘Shout out to wife, Surfers Paradise SLSC, and Gold Coast medical professionals for their much needed help!’ He added.

‘Will be in a sling for a while, not sure when my next right-handed high five will be.’

Hughesy's post was accompanied by a series of dramatic images capturing the aftermath of his accident.

The photos showed him slumped over in a beach buggy, lying back with his arm in a sling, and bent over the green whistle while clutching a pillow.

The stark images served as a reminder of the potential dangers of surfing, a sport often associated with fun and relaxation.

The post quickly garnered attention from Hughesy's fans and fellow celebrities, who flooded the comments section with well-wishes and offers of support.

Among them was Bachelor host Osher Günsberg, saying, ‘Oh no, Dave! That’s horrible. If you need surgery (and I hope you don’t), I could narrate it for you with my Bondi Rescue voice if you like?’

Comedian Nikki Osborne also chimed in.

‘Oh no! That’s horrendous. There’s goes your long-held ambitions to be the national chicken dance champion,’ she said.

‘Oh, love. How awful. I hope you’re recovering okay. Legend wife for getting pics,’ reality star Yvie Jones jokingly said.

‘Is there footage of you falling off the board?’ Comedian Anthony Lehmann or Lehmo asked.

You can check Hughesy’s post here:

This report comes after Hughesy’s scary run-in on Sydney’s Bondi Beach with two men who had a bone to pick with him about a joke made on The Project, the television show he used to work on before he left ten years ago. Read more about the story here.

Hughes has been candid about his abstinence from drugs and alcohol, as he has been sober since he was 21 years old.

However, he mentioned that his rugged appearance makes him look like he’s always having a hangover.

He recalled an event in 2022, saying, ‘I was at the Qantas Club one morning and—I don’t drink at all, by the way—I handed my frequent flyer card over to the woman behind the counter, and she said, “You must have had a rough night?’”

‘I’d had nine hours of sleep. I haven’t had a drink since 1992.’
Key Takeaways

• Australian comedian and TV presenter Dave Hughes was rushed to hospital following a surfing accident on New Year's Eve.
  • Hughes suffered from a dislocated shoulder and nerve damage, which he described as the 'worst pain' of his life, resulting in the use of strong pain relief administered by lifeguards.
  • He shared his experience on social media, including photos and a thank you to those who assisted him, and mentioned he’d be in a sling for a while due to the injury.
  • Friends and celebrities sent their well-wishes in the comments, with some making lighthearted jokes about the incident.
We wish Hughesy a speedy recovery and look forward to seeing his smiling face back on our screens soon.

Have you experienced similar beach trip accidents? Share them with us in the comments below!

Last edited:
  • Sad
  • Love
Reactions: Liag, Lesle and BJM
Sponsored
Hope you have a speedy recovery Hughesy, one of mine & my sons favourite Aussie comedians.