Comedian Dave Hughes shares latest health update after New Year’s Eve mishap

Members, you might have heard of Dave Hughes’ unfortunate start to 2024. Affectionately known as Hughesy to his fans, the TV comedian was involved in a surfing accident on New Year’s Eve that resulted in a dislocated shoulder.

He described it as 'the worst pain' he'd ever experienced.

In a recent video, Hughes, known for his trademark humour, updated his followers on his condition.

With his arm encased in a sling, he demonstrated his challenges with everyday tasks, such as eating a bowl of cereal.

The video, captioned 'Be grateful for what you have', showed Hughes attempting to manoeuvre a spoonful of cereal into his mouth using his injured arm.

Despite his efforts, he struggled to get very far, even as he bent forward and tried to direct the spoon upwards.

photo (51).jpg
Dave Hughes shared a health update on social media after his surfing accident. Source: @dhughesy/Instagram

'Four days into my surfing accident, and I'm nearly back!' he joked, maintaining his sense of humour despite the circumstances.

The video sparked a wave of responses from fans, with many turning to classic Aussie humour to offer their support.

‘Use the other hand & it won’t be so painful,’ one follower commented.

‘Ouch! But try using your other arm. Love [you]. Speedy recovery,’ someone suggested.

Others shared their experiences with similar injuries, sharing advice and encouragement.

‘Oh, Hughsey. It’s the worst. I’ve done it and remember all the things I couldn’t do. The pain is revolting,’ a social media user shared.

A fourth person wrote, ‘Rest your arm when in the sling and do your physio as prescribed. Good luck! Be well soon.’

‘Not such a handy way to eat, legend. Speedy recovery, Hughesy,’ a fifth person stated.

Meanwhile, some of his fans focused on the comedian’s positive attitude.

‘I’m so pleased we can hear a little giggle! Wishing you a speedy recovery,’ one fan said, while another commented: ‘Don’t lose your sense of humour. We all love you.’

You can watch his video here:

Source: Instagram/@dhughesy​

The father-of-three, who has been sober since the age of 21, earlier shared the details of his unfortunate accident in a post on New Year's Day.

‘Happy NY. Had my least sober NYE in 30+ years. Green whistle came after two hours of (the) worst pain of my life, plus morphine and the rest of them,’ he wrote on social media.

‘Shoulder dislocation whilst surfing. 9 out of 10 level nerve damage,’ Hughes shared.

He then posted a set of photos that captured him visibly in distress, one showing him hunched over in a Surf Life Saving Club buggy and another displaying his pained expression while lying in a hospital bed.

You can read more about that story here.

The injury comes just months after Hughes shared the sad news of his mother's passing in October. Despite the unfortunate events, Hughes keeps his spirits high, even joking about the potential for new standup material from his experience.

Key Takeaways
  • Comedian Dave Hughes experienced a dislocation of his shoulder while surfing on New Year's Eve, which resulted in a hospital visit and significant pain.
  • Hughes shared an update and video on social media showing the difficulty he faces while eating due to his arm being in a sling, maintaining his humorous perspective despite the injury.
  • Fans and followers have shown support, offering advice, sharing their experiences with similar injuries, and wishing him a speedy recovery.
  • The accident occurred amidst a challenging time for Hughes, following the passing of his mother in October and his commitment to sobriety since age 21.

As Hughes navigates his recovery, we join his fans and followers in wishing him a speedy recovery and a better 2024.

Have you ever experienced a similar injury, members? How did you cope with the recovery process? Share your experiences and advice in the comments below.

Sponsored
Grow a pair you wimp! There's a bowl of milk over there in the corner just for you!

Comedian? The only person he has made to laugh is his wife....when he dropped his pants.

Same goes for Peter Helliar or whatever his name is.
"A Life Threating Injury" what are these overrated, uneducated Journo's talking about. It's quite obvious they are in the wrong job - false reporting use to be a crime.

Reactions: magpie1 and 52-KID
Grow a pair you wimp! There's a bowl of milk over there in the corner just for you!

Comedian? The only person he has made to laugh is his wife....when he dropped his pants.

100%

Reactions: magpie1
Members, you might have heard of Dave Hughes’ unfortunate start to 2024. Affectionately known as Hughesy to his fans, the TV comedian was involved in a surfing accident on New Year’s Eve that resulted in a dislocated shoulder.

In a recent video, Hughes, known for his trademark humour, updated his followers on his condition.

With his arm encased in a sling, he demonstrated his challenges with everyday tasks, such as eating a bowl of cereal.

The video, captioned 'Be grateful for what you have', showed Hughes attempting to manoeuvre a spoonful of cereal into his mouth using his injured arm.

Despite his efforts, he struggled to get very far, even as he bent forward and tried to direct the spoon upwards.

View attachment 38695
Dave Hughes shared a health update on social media after his surfing accident. Source: @dhughesy/Instagram

'Four days into my surfing accident, and I'm nearly back!' he joked, maintaining his sense of humour despite the circumstances.

The video sparked a wave of responses from fans, with many turning to classic Aussie humour to offer their support.

‘Ouch! But try using your other arm. Love [you]. Speedy recovery,’ someone suggested.

Others shared their experiences with similar injuries, sharing advice and encouragement.

‘Oh, Hughsey. It’s the worst. I’ve done it and remember all the things I couldn’t do. The pain is revolting,’ a social media user shared.

A fourth person wrote, ‘Rest your arm when in the sling and do your physio as prescribed. Good luck! Be well soon.’

‘Not such a handy way to eat, legend. Speedy recovery, Hughesy,’ a fifth person stated.

‘I’m so pleased we can hear a little giggle! Wishing you a speedy recovery,’ one fan said, while another commented: ‘Don’t lose your sense of humour. We all love you.’

The father-of-three, who has been sober since the age of 21, earlier shared the details of his unfortunate accident in a post on New Year's Day.

‘Happy NY. Had my least sober NYE in 30+ years. Green whistle came after two hours of (the) worst pain of my life, plus morphine and the rest of them,’ he wrote on social media.

‘Shoulder dislocation whilst surfing. 9 out of 10 level nerve damage,’ Hughes shared.

He then posted a set of photos that captured him visibly in distress, one showing him hunched over in a Surf Life Saving Club buggy and another displaying his pained expression while lying in a hospital bed.

The injury comes just months after Hughes shared the sad news of his mother's passing in October. Despite the unfortunate events, Hughes keeps his spirits high, even joking about the potential for new standup material from his experience.

Key Takeaways
  • Comedian Dave Hughes experienced a dislocation of his shoulder while surfing on New Year's Eve, which resulted in a hospital visit and significant pain.
  • Hughes shared an update and video on social media showing the difficulty he faces while eating due to his arm being in a sling, maintaining his humorous perspective despite the injury.
  • Fans and followers have shown support, offering advice, sharing their experiences with similar injuries, and wishing him a speedy recovery.
  • The accident occurred amidst a challenging time for Hughes, following the passing of his mother in October and his commitment to sobriety since age 21.

As Hughes navigates his recovery, we join his fans and followers in wishing him a speedy recovery and a better 2024.

Have you ever experienced a similar injury, members? How did you cope with the recovery process? Share your experiences and advice in the comments below.

A badly broken wrist, ended up having plaster up to the armpit. On the left arm, I am left handed. You don't need to go too far to find someone worse off than
yourselves.

A badly broken wrist, ended up having plaster up to the armpit. On the left arm, I am left handed. You don't need to go too far to find someone worse off than
yourselves.
When I was 22, I broke a scaphoid bone in my right wrist. Being right handed, I enjoyed the challenge of learning to wank left handed. I am deadly serious.

horray, we agree. my reply was going to be he is a pain in the arse. No comedians left, they all need a bottle in one hand and a f out of the mouth. hilarious.

View attachment 38695

Key Takeaways

Take Lyrica every night for a great sleep , it works

I agree totally!!!!