ErictheViking

Feb 16, 2024
Coles XL Prawns

Beware buying Coles so-called Extra Large Black Tiger Prawns. Only 2 met the criteria of XL, the rest were a mix of smaller ones. We had to eat the prawns that evening, but I saved the shells. Complained to Coles on their website, but no response as yet.

This is not about the prawn issue but wondered if someone could enlighten me about 2 oranges I bought at Coles recently....when I got them home and out of the bag they emitted a terrible chemical smell. Have washed them several times but can still smell it. Not game to eat it after paying $8.90 per kg....for the humble orange??
Could it possibly be a spray used on the growing fruit? But why such a horrible strong smell?

Is a XXL prawn in the range 12.0 +/- 2.0 cms when fully extended?

Who knows? Not me.
According to fishme.com.au, it's not the size of the prawn but the quantity of prawns per pound or kilogram.

For details, check out the link below. I learnt something new today!

Reactions: DLHM
I don"t believe this for a minute, Eric the Viking went shopping.
Vikings raped and pillaged their way thru other countries.
They would just take whatever they wanted!
"Shops be buggered" 😸 😸

• Haha
Reactions: DLHM
This is not about the prawn issue but wondered if someone could enlighten me about 2 oranges I bought at Coles recently....when I got them home and out of the bag they emitted a terrible chemical smell. Have washed them several times but can still smell it. Not game to eat it after paying $8.90 per kg....for the humble orange??
Could it possibly be a spray used on the growing fruit? But why such a horrible strong smell?
Not sure about the smell, but if you think the product is inedible then you should return the oranges for a refund.

Most varieties of fruit sold by Coles & Woolies is bought before it is ripe & then gassed in special rooms to ripen it, even so-called "organic" products. I'm not sure what the gas is called, but it's "supposed" to be "similar" to the gas naturally produced by some fruit (E.g. bananas) that ripen other fruit. It is still a man-made chemical. They say that it's so that we can have year round varieties, instead of seasonal. I would rather eat my fruit naturally seasonal.