Coles, Woolworths and ALDI misleading customers with 'responsibly sourced' salmon label, groups say

When you pick up a packet of salmon labelled 'responsibly sourced' from your local supermarket, you trust that the product you're buying is ethically and sustainably produced.

However, recent allegations against major Australian supermarkets Coles, Woolworths, and ALDI suggest that this trust may be misplaced.

The Environmental Defenders Office (EDO), representing four environmental groups, has lodged a complaint with the Australian Competition and Consumer Commission (ACCC).

They allege that these supermarkets may be misleading consumers with their 'responsibly sourced' labelling on salmon products.

SDC 4.png
Salmon products sourced from Tasmania’s Macquarie Harbour were reportedly affecting the Maugean skate in the area. Image source: yastremskaolga on Freepik.

The crux of the issue? The salmon in question is sourced from Tasmanian farms, more specifically, from Macquarie Harbour.

The Living Oceans Society, Neighbours of Fish Farming, the Bob Brown Foundation, and Ekōclaim that the 'responsibly sourced' label is unqualified and may constitute greenwashing, a deceptive practice where a company presents itself as more environmentally friendly than it truly is.

Salmon farming, particularly in Macquarie Harbour, has been a contentious issue for years.

In September, the federal threatened species scientific committee reported that a drastic decline in water quality attributed to the salmon industry has 'catastrophically' impacted the Maugean skate—an ancient fish species found only in the area.

The environmental groups argue that about 10% of Tasmanian salmon sold in these supermarkets comes from these controversial farms.

'When a company makes false claims about its products, it wrongfully gains a competitive advantage by misleading customers who want to do the right thing,' EDO lawyer Kirsty Ruddock said on behalf of the four environmental groups.

'Our clients allege ALDI, Coles and Woolworths may have used misleading or deceptive statements to capitalise on the public’s strong preference to buy sustainably farmed salmon.'

In response to concerns raised by environmental groups, Environment Minister Tanya Plibersek initiated a review of the salmon industry's operations in Macquarie Harbour.

The review assessed whether the industry has the necessary permits to operate in the area.

This decision follows an application filed by the Australia Institute, the Bob Brown Foundation, and the Environmental Defenders Office, who claimed that the salmon industry was harming the Maugean skate.

In July, more than 80 organisations also requested the Best Aquaculture Practices (BAP) and Global G.A.P. (GGN), which are two international accreditation schemes, to revoke the certifications issued to salmon and trout farmed in Macquarie Harbour as they argued that the certification was misleading.

The RSPCA and the Aquaculture Stewardship Council have also withdrawn their endorsement of certified salmon sourced from Macquarie Harbour farms due to the known environmental impacts.

In August, the environmental groups wrote to Woolworths, ALDI, and Coles requesting them to stop procuring salmon from the farm and to remove the 'responsibly sourced' logo from the packaging, and used the decline of Maugean skate as evidence.

'No urgent due diligence by way of removing the product from shelves, or at the very least the removal of environmental claims, has been taken by the supermarkets or certifications to date,' Kelly Roebuck, the SeaChoice representative for Living Oceans said.

'Marketing extinction as “responsible” and “best practice” is greenwashing at its worst.'

Meanwhile, in response to the group’s complaint, a spokesperson for Woolworths stated that they have stringent protocols to ensure products meet their seafood sourcing policy.

They also noted that they are aware of the concerns regarding Macquarie Harbour farms and are closely monitoring developments.

'We note that the industry, state, and federal governments are taking this matter seriously and that a review is underway along with investment into research to better understand the issue and protect the Maugean skate.'

It is understood that Coles was contacted for comment but did not respond in time, while ALDI has declined to comment on the issue.
Key Takeaways
  • The Environmental Defenders Office, on behalf of four environmental groups, has asked the consumer watchdog to investigate whether supermarkets may be misleading consumers about the sustainability of their salmon products.
  • Environmental groups claim that 10% of Tasmanian salmon is sourced from Macquarie Harbour salmon farms, negatively impacting the local environment and endangered species.
  • The allegations suggest that supermarkets may be using deceptive statements to take advantage of the public's preference for sustainably farmed salmon.
  • The RSPCA and the Aquaculture Stewardship Council have withdrawn their endorsements for certified salmon sourced from Macquarie Harbour farms due to notoriety over its environmental impacts.
What are your thoughts on this issue, dear readers? Have you been buying 'responsibly sourced' salmon from these supermarkets? Share your thoughts in the comments below.

Sponsored
Quote: "In September, the federal threatened species scientific committee reported that a drastic decline in water quality attributed to the salmon industry has 'catastrophically' impacted the Maugean skate—an ancient fish species found only in the area."

There's a lot of talk in the article of "greenwashing".
Here's some observations re the Maugean Skate: "The species was discovered in 1988 by Dr Graham Edgar.
The Maugean skate holds a high trophic position in the food web (3.70). Their diet consists of benthic prey species, with crustaceans as their dominant prey type."

Sounds to me that, being close to, but not quite, an apex predator, the Maugean Skate (which was barely known when the salmon-farming industry was hailed as The Big New Thing) really doesn't have much going for it at the best of times; it might possibly benefit the crustacean industries ("Tassie Crayfish, anyone?") if this Skate were to decline.

Greenwashing? Plenty of it, sure, but by whom and for what motive?
Follow the money.......

After watching the documentary on tassie salmon farming a number of years ago we have never purchased Aussie salmon again. We buy Alaska's Pacific salmon occasionally, far too expensive as a weekly purchase and smoked from Denmark. Plenty of other fish which is sustainably sourced.

Reactions: Ezzy
"Ethically and sustainably sourced". Honestly, what does this mean other than nothing? The manufacturers capture the said salmon and kill it. End of story.

Do these environmental misfits sit around a round table with high ranking officials of the Salmon Society to discuss the ethical practice of killing their kin? I bet they don't even speak Salmonesque!

Reactions: Macarj and DLHM
"Ethically and sustainably sourced". Honestly, what does this mean other than nothing? The manufacturers capture the said salmon and kill it. End of story.

Do these environmental misfits sit around a round table with high ranking officials of the Salmon Society to discuss the ethical practice of killing their kin? I bet they don't even speak Salmonesque!
My thoughts precisely! It’s just a catch phrase thrown around in an attempt appeal to people that they’re buying a quality product. Nonsense. (Although I don’t buy any seafood so I don’t really have a “beef” about salmon, or any seafood.)

When you pick up a packet of salmon labelled 'responsibly sourced' from your local supermarket, you trust that the product you're buying is ethically and sustainably produced.

However, recent allegations against major Australian supermarkets Coles, Woolworths, and ALDI suggest that this trust may be misplaced.

The Environmental Defenders Office (EDO), representing four environmental groups, has lodged a complaint with the Australian Competition and Consumer Commission (ACCC).

They allege that these supermarkets may be misleading consumers with their 'responsibly sourced' labelling on salmon products.

View attachment 36653
Salmon products sourced from Tasmania’s Macquarie Harbour were reportedly affecting the Maugean skate in the area. Image source: yastremskaolga on Freepik.

The crux of the issue? The salmon in question is sourced from Tasmanian farms, more specifically, from Macquarie Harbour.

The Living Oceans Society, Neighbours of Fish Farming, the Bob Brown Foundation, and Ekōclaim that the 'responsibly sourced' label is unqualified and may constitute greenwashing, a deceptive practice where a company presents itself as more environmentally friendly than it truly is.

Salmon farming, particularly in Macquarie Harbour, has been a contentious issue for years.

In September, the federal threatened species scientific committee reported that a drastic decline in water quality attributed to the salmon industry has 'catastrophically' impacted the Maugean skate—an ancient fish species found only in the area.

The environmental groups argue that about 10% of Tasmanian salmon sold in these supermarkets comes from these controversial farms.

'When a company makes false claims about its products, it wrongfully gains a competitive advantage by misleading customers who want to do the right thing,' EDO lawyer Kirsty Ruddock said on behalf of the four environmental groups.

'Our clients allege ALDI, Coles and Woolworths may have used misleading or deceptive statements to capitalise on the public’s strong preference to buy sustainably farmed salmon.'

In response to concerns raised by environmental groups, Environment Minister Tanya Plibersek initiated a review of the salmon industry's operations in Macquarie Harbour.

The review assessed whether the industry has the necessary permits to operate in the area.

This decision follows an application filed by the Australia Institute, the Bob Brown Foundation, and the Environmental Defenders Office, who claimed that the salmon industry was harming the Maugean skate.

In July, more than 80 organisations also requested the Best Aquaculture Practices (BAP) and Global G.A.P. (GGN), which are two international accreditation schemes, to revoke the certifications issued to salmon and trout farmed in Macquarie Harbour as they argued that the certification was misleading.

The RSPCA and the Aquaculture Stewardship Council have also withdrawn their endorsement of certified salmon sourced from Macquarie Harbour farms due to the known environmental impacts.

In August, the environmental groups wrote to Woolworths, ALDI, and Coles requesting them to stop procuring salmon from the farm and to remove the 'responsibly sourced' logo from the packaging, and used the decline of Maugean skate as evidence.

'No urgent due diligence by way of removing the product from shelves, or at the very least the removal of environmental claims, has been taken by the supermarkets or certifications to date,' Kelly Roebuck, the SeaChoice representative for Living Oceans said.

'Marketing extinction as “responsible” and “best practice” is greenwashing at its worst.'

Meanwhile, in response to the group’s complaint, a spokesperson for Woolworths stated that they have stringent protocols to ensure products meet their seafood sourcing policy.

They also noted that they are aware of the concerns regarding Macquarie Harbour farms and are closely monitoring developments.

'We note that the industry, state, and federal governments are taking this matter seriously and that a review is underway along with investment into research to better understand the issue and protect the Maugean skate.'

It is understood that Coles was contacted for comment but did not respond in time, while ALDI has declined to comment on the issue.
Key Takeaways

• The Environmental Defenders Office, on behalf of four environmental groups, has asked the consumer watchdog to investigate whether supermarkets may be misleading consumers about the sustainability of their salmon products.
  • Environmental groups claim that 10% of Tasmanian salmon is sourced from Macquarie Harbour salmon farms, negatively impacting the local environment and endangered species.
  • The allegations suggest that supermarkets may be using deceptive statements to take advantage of the public's preference for sustainably farmed salmon.
  • The RSPCA and the Aquaculture Stewardship Council have withdrawn their endorsements for certified salmon sourced from Macquarie Harbour farms due to notoriety over its environmental impacts.
What are your thoughts on this issue, dear readers? Have you been buying 'responsibly sourced' salmon from these supermarkets? Share your thoughts in the comments below.
Wow this skate is only found in this bay 😳 well shit there's a he'll of a lot of coast line in Tasmania guaranteed they haven't looked at the whole of Tasmanian coast 😳 bloody greenies will have you eating dirt

I don't recall ever having Tasmanian salmon. Or any type of salmon for that matter. I'm a tuna type of bloke.

Which reminds me. Haven't had tuna mornay or pasta bake for ages! Better get a big tin of tuna in springwater tomorrow!
I buy woollies tuna in oil it’s delicious and healthy in recipes I find spring water bland in recipes. I use tuna in oil in all my fish dishes and it’s not expensive.enjoy😁

I buy woollies tuna in oil it’s delicious and healthy in recipes I find spring water bland in recipes. I use tuna in oil in all my fish dishes and it’s not expensive.enjoy😁
I used to buy tuna in oil but became worried about bad cholesterol after a heart attack in December 2013. Might give it another go. Oh hell! It's the 10th anniversary of my stent installation on Friday!!

Reactions: magpie1 and Ezzy
After watching the documentary on tassie salmon farming a number of years ago we have never purchased Aussie salmon again. We buy Alaska's Pacific salmon occasionally, far too expensive as a weekly purchase and smoked from Denmark. Plenty of other fish which is sustainably sourced.
Also I never buy Australian salmon because of the price !!