Coles shoppers accuse Cadbury of practising “shrinkflation” after its Easter Egg treats appeared to have “slimmed down”

A Coles customer's complaint about the alleged size reduction on Cadbury's beloved chocolate Easter egg has unexpectedly triggered a spur of grumblings from shoppers who accused the company of practising "shrinkflation".

An eagle-eyed Coles shopper took to Facebook to air her frustration over the "slimmed down" version of the Humpty Dumpty Milk Chocolate Eggs, sarcastically saying that the treats must have gone on a diet.

The shopper wrote: “Tradition in our house that every year the 'kids' get Humpty Dumpty Easter Egg for Easter. I think this year’s batch from Coles has been to Weight Watchers. Very slim.”

She also included a photo on the post, showing the "slim" 130-gram Humpty Dumpty chocolate egg inside the box.

LwJeatmVJ7Ek-Phpf9pzXXPmNusTv0OzpB6pApnv6d-aybvsSilQQFew-AKwKU7eJQucqvP117t_YK96cqmffU531mcJOXxPZ5pochwyWHjJyZGO7zSuoTchwmlJM0rtdiIVKo4

An eagle-eyed Coles shopper claimed that Cadbury’s Humpty Dumpty Easter Eggs have reduced in size despite being sold for the same price. Credit: Facebook/Getty Images.

The post captured the attention of other suspicious Coles shoppers, sparking a barrage of complaints about the Cadbury eggs.

One person wrote: “I was thinking exactly the same when I saw them in Kmart. Very slim.”

“Agree. I got mine for home delivery today and they are about half the size,” another added.

Meanwhile, the woman debunked the claim of one shopper who said that the eggs are "half the size, twice the price”, saying that the cost of the Cadbury treats was the same amount as last year.

“Haven’t opened them yet, but the price was $5 – same as last year, so they shouldn’t be half,” she wrote.

It should be noted that Cadbury's 130-gram Humpty Dumpty Chocolate Egg is currently available at Coles, Woolworths, Big W, and Kmart for $5.

Elsewhere in the thread, a number of users jokingly suggested that the Cadbury eggs "had been on a diet" since 2021.

One person joked: “I noticed today they had been on a diet.”

Others accused Cadbury of practising "shrinkflation".

One woman wrote: "Things are getting made smaller but they are the same price, chocolate is getting smaller and miniature and chips will be as well."

zgKNzfaKnVuV7Aes7TlShmq4Ron4oLXL2SwMFH9uTUbiObDrFy6azGn5475rMxO6aiP-la2mwJNTLmo3PbQIPU4226OoAj0ONr04-NedEppcpweNPXsu3h_so13srg1c5LvTHxg

Many shoppers accused Cadbury of practising “shrinkflation”, with many sarcastically saying that the treats had been “on a diet”. Credit: Getty Images.

A Cadbury spokesperson addressed these complaints, explaining that while a pack of the Humpty Dumpty Milk Chocolate Egg is being retailed at the same weight and at the same amount of chocolate as last year, the company changed its packaging.

The spokesperson said that Cadbury is currently using more eco-friendly packaging — less cardboard and a smaller plastic inner holder, both of which are recyclable.

Have you recently purchased some Cadbury Easter eggs? Did they really shrink in size? Share your thoughts with us in the comments below.

Sponsored
When our grandchildren were little we used to buy a lot of cheaper eggs to use for an egg hunt in the garden which they loved. These days our 11 grandchildren range in age from 27 to 11 so they are all too big for egg hunts. In fact last Easter we got lovely Lindt bunnies from them. The tables have turned.

Reactions: Ricci
Have you recently purchased some Cadbury Easter eggs? Did they really shrink in size? Share your thoughts with us in the comments below.

I bought some a week ago, have been watching them closely in that time, and NO, they did not really shrink in size.
I believe that they won't shrink in size until I eat them

Every year I make numerous Easter and Christmas gifts for the grandchildrens’ daycare teachers. I knit covers for the Terry‘s Choc orange chocolates. This year I had to make a size smaller cover because the chocolates have shrunk by 37g -but the price has remained the same!!

Reactions: Ashmenou
Shrinkflation is the way of the world for decades. Making the cardboard roll in the toilet paper bigger and loosely rolling on the paper. That started decades ago. Mersey Valley Cheese, one of my favourites going from going from 250g to 235g. It was SO obvious when they pulled that stunt. Disappointing as it's always been mega overpriced anyways. I use to buy that cheese by the dozen when it was on sale for $5 each (down from $7). I'd freeze them. Since they changed the size, nope, haven't bought it since. Anything in boxes or bags have half air. The box or bag stays the same size but less is put in. Those are only a few examples. We all see every product pretty much getting smaller. The thing that really ticks me off is they think shoppers are SO stupid and unaware that we won't notice. They are Very wrong.

Reactions: debjane
Every year I make numerous Easter and Christmas gifts for the grandchildrens’ daycare teachers. I knit covers for the Terry‘s Choc orange chocolates. This year I had to make a size smaller cover because the chocolates have shrunk by 37g -but the price has remained the same!!
Yes they are smaller

Even my 14 year old granddaughter commented on how the humpty dumpty eggs had gotten smaller

Coles shoppers accuse Cadbury of practising “shrinkflation” after its Easter Egg treats appeared to have “slimmed down”

A Coles customer's complaint about the alleged size reduction on Cadbury's beloved chocolate Easter egg has unexpectedly triggered a spur of grumblings from shoppers who accused the company of practising "shrinkflation".

An eagle-eyed Coles shopper took to Facebook to air her frustration over the "slimmed down" version of the Humpty Dumpty Milk Chocolate Eggs, sarcastically saying that the treats must have gone on a diet.

The shopper wrote: “Tradition in our house that every year the 'kids' get Humpty Dumpty Easter Egg for Easter. I think this year’s batch from Coles has been to Weight Watchers. Very slim.”

She also included a photo on the post, showing the "slim" 130-gram Humpty Dumpty chocolate egg inside the box.

LwJeatmVJ7Ek-Phpf9pzXXPmNusTv0OzpB6pApnv6d-aybvsSilQQFew-AKwKU7eJQucqvP117t_YK96cqmffU531mcJOXxPZ5pochwyWHjJyZGO7zSuoTchwmlJM0rtdiIVKo4

An eagle-eyed Coles shopper claimed that Cadbury’s Humpty Dumpty Easter Eggs have reduced in size despite being sold for the same price. Credit: Facebook/Getty Images.

The post captured the attention of other suspicious Coles shoppers, sparking a barrage of complaints about the Cadbury eggs.

One person wrote: “I was thinking exactly the same when I saw them in Kmart. Very slim.”

“Agree. I got mine for home delivery today and they are about half the size,” another added.

Meanwhile, the woman debunked the claim of one shopper who said that the eggs are "half the size, twice the price”, saying that the cost of the Cadbury treats was the same amount as last year.

“Haven’t opened them yet, but the price was $5 – same as last year, so they shouldn’t be half,” she wrote.

It should be noted that Cadbury's 130-gram Humpty Dumpty Chocolate Egg is currently available at Coles, Woolworths, Big W, and Kmart for $5.

Elsewhere in the thread, a number of users jokingly suggested that the Cadbury eggs "had been on a diet" since 2021.

One woman wrote: "Things are getting made smaller but they are the same price, chocolate is getting smaller and miniature and chips will be as well."

zgKNzfaKnVuV7Aes7TlShmq4Ron4oLXL2SwMFH9uTUbiObDrFy6azGn5475rMxO6aiP-la2mwJNTLmo3PbQIPU4226OoAj0ONr04-NedEppcpweNPXsu3h_so13srg1c5LvTHxg

Many shoppers accused Cadbury of practising “shrinkflation”, with many sarcastically saying that the treats had been “on a diet”. Credit: Getty Images.

A Cadbury spokesperson addressed these complaints, explaining that while a pack of the Humpty Dumpty Milk Chocolate Egg is being retailed at the same weight and at the same amount of chocolate as last year, the company changed its packaging.

The spokesperson said that Cadbury is currently using more eco-friendly packaging — less cardboard and a smaller plastic inner holder, both of which are recyclable.