Coles shopper 'tricks' cashier into giving him free grapes – and people are fuming!

A user on the video-sharing platform TikTok has come under fire from people on social media for his allegedly "funny" checkout prank directed at a Coles supermarket worker.

In the video that went viral and received more than 6.5 million views, a person can be seen attempting to buy two single grapes from a cashier at the checkout counter.

"I just wanted to grab those. I didn't want to be caught stealing," the shopper tried to explain to the employee working the register. "You know how it is." But when the cashier attempted to weigh the two grapes to complete the transaction, she ran into an issue.

Apparently, the scales on the cash register were unable to recognise the two grapes because of how light they were.

7tvnYleurB86Z9VR0iBO1ULHzgweTfv95IDBrD22nfe9xTCsJ2g_Vqq1lLjwnC-HeaDmp9Era2TTxAQqQUAL_cN7fMROZSLdouj9Z1wyxD5XkdSONofzZiKpAZYNSd0HJp5GtqJ24xGfegnSpA

A TikToker's cruel "prank" on a Coles employee has drawn criticism online. Credit: TikTok.

She smiled nervously and informed the customer, "Well I can't weigh them because there isn't enough to weigh."

When the customer asked if he could "eat them" instead, the employee can be seen looking around in confusion, uncertain of what action to take next.

Finally, she said, "Well, I can't weigh them, so..."

And right there and then, the customer picked up the grapes from the checkout and ate them. "Just don't say anything," he told the cashier.

Even though the user who posted the video included the hashtag "prank" in the post's caption, it appears that thousands of users on TikTok didn’t see the funny side.

On the man's video, hundreds of viewers left comments in which they express their frustration with the "prank" and criticise him for harassing the employee.

One user said that employees are "not paid enough" to experience encounters like this, while another user agreed and added, "Leave her alone."

A third user even went as far as saying, "If someone did this to me, I would quit."

A number of users also voiced their concern for the Coles employee who was forced to go through the entire incident.

"I hope she doesn't lose her job," one user commented. "That is so mean. She appeared young and nervous; I hope she didn't get into any trouble," said another.

The viral TikTok video was reportedly removed from the platform on Wednesday; however, the user who uploaded it has not issued an apology despite the huge backlash he has received.

There is a saying among pranksters that goes, "Nobody ever died from a prank." Even though that’s almost always true (there are definitely a few notable exceptions), the emotional damage done to the victim can often cause lasting damage.

It’s believed that pranks are more common these days because of the ubiquity of smartphone cameras, and the popularity of social media sites like YouTube or TikTok.

We like to think we’re not curmudgeons here at the SDC, and we admit that pranks can be funny every once in a while if they’re done tastefully. However, more often than not these days, it seems they are inappropriate, harmful, or worse, even sexual.

What some people are willing to do in exchange for a few seconds of internet fame is beyond us...

What are your thoughts, folks? A little late for April Fools, don't you think?

We believe that instead of "pranks," people should perform "random acts of kindness" towards strangers instead.

In the video that can be found below, you can watch a man go out of his way to pay for the groceries of complete strangers.

Credit: Mike Lewis.

Sponsored
A user on the video-sharing platform TikTok has come under fire from people on social media for his allegedly "funny" checkout prank directed at a Coles supermarket worker.

In the video that went viral and received more than 6.5 million views, a person can be seen attempting to buy two single grapes from a cashier at the checkout counter.

"I just wanted to grab those. I didn't want to be caught stealing," the shopper tried to explain to the employee working the register. "You know how it is." But when the cashier attempted to weigh the two grapes to complete the transaction, she ran into an issue.

Apparently, the scales on the cash register were unable to recognise the two grapes because of how light they were.

7tvnYleurB86Z9VR0iBO1ULHzgweTfv95IDBrD22nfe9xTCsJ2g_Vqq1lLjwnC-HeaDmp9Era2TTxAQqQUAL_cN7fMROZSLdouj9Z1wyxD5XkdSONofzZiKpAZYNSd0HJp5GtqJ24xGfegnSpA

A TikToker's cruel "prank" on a Coles employee has drawn criticism online. Credit: TikTok.

She smiled nervously and informed the customer, "Well I can't weigh them because there isn't enough to weigh."

When the customer asked if he could "eat them" instead, the employee can be seen looking around in confusion, uncertain of what action to take next.

Finally, she said, "Well, I can't weigh them, so..."

And right there and then, the customer picked up the grapes from the checkout and ate them. "Just don't say anything," he told the cashier.

Even though the user who posted the video included the hashtag "prank" in the post's caption, it appears that thousands of users on TikTok didn’t see the funny side.

On the man's video, hundreds of viewers left comments in which they express their frustration with the "prank" and criticise him for harassing the employee.

One user said that employees are "not paid enough" to experience encounters like this, while another user agreed and added, "Leave her alone."

A third user even went as far as saying, "If someone did this to me, I would quit."

A number of users also voiced their concern for the Coles employee who was forced to go through the entire incident.

"I hope she doesn't lose her job," one user commented. "That is so mean. She appeared young and nervous; I hope she didn't get into any trouble," said another.

The viral TikTok video was reportedly removed from the platform on Wednesday; however, the user who uploaded it has not issued an apology despite the huge backlash he has received.

There is a saying among pranksters that goes, "Nobody ever died from a prank." Even though that’s almost always true (there are definitely a few notable exceptions), the emotional damage done to the victim can often cause lasting damage.

It’s believed that pranks are more common these days because of the ubiquity of smartphone cameras, and the popularity of social media sites like YouTube or TikTok.

We like to think we’re not curmudgeons here at the SDC, and we admit that pranks can be funny every once in a while if they’re done tastefully. However, more often than not these days, it seems they are inappropriate, harmful, or worse, even sexual.

What some people are willing to do in exchange for a few seconds of internet fame is beyond us...

What are your thoughts, folks? A little late for April Fools, don't you think?

We believe that instead of "pranks," people should perform "random acts of kindness" towards strangers instead.

In the video that can be found below, you can watch a man go out of his way to pay for the groceries of complete strangers.

Credit: Mike Lewis.

surely the store has a policy on this. the employee should have called over their supervisor i was taught in all my jobs if unsure of anything ask

Reactions: Ricci
Oh, here we go, the politically correct brigade strike again! I think it was very funny and at the cashier’s age I know I would have found it hilarious. Unfortunately, young people today are being raised without the carefree sense of humour that my generation enjoyed. Where’s the harm in putting a couple of grapes on the conveyor belt as a joke? I‘ve seen people taste the grapes in the fruit section all the time, so it should hardly be considered stealing. Come on people, don’t make our young Aussie kids grow up treading on eggshells with the constant worry of upsetting someone over something as simple as this. We’re at serious risk of losing our wonderful Aussie sense of humour. And that would be a huge loss. 🇦🇺🥱