Coles shopper shares one tip to slash his grocery haul: 'I find it a lot more interesting to compare'

In these times of tightening belts, every little saving counts, especially when it comes to the weekly grocery shop.

It's no secret that Australians feel the pinch of the cost-of-living crisis and are finding ways to cut down on expenses.

What if there was a way to know when your grocery items at Coles might be discounted next?

Data scientist Adam Williamson developed a nifty web browser tool that could be the answer to many shoppers' prayers.

He created a Google Chrome extension that sifts through Coles' online pricing data and revealed patterns in how long an item stays at a specific price before it's likely to be reduced.

'I built this Chrome extension mostly for myself, and I was clicking around, playing with it. Then I thought, "I'll share one of the insights on social media," Williamson stated.

compressed-coles grocery.jpeg
Several Coles items have temporary price cuts as seen in their online store. Image Credit: Shutterstock/Daria Nipot

Since Williamson shared his creation, the extension saw a surge in popularity.

The extension saw over 1,000 downloads in just a few days and amassed over 200,000 views, indicating a strong interest among Aussies.

While some apps compare prices between major supermarkets, Williamson's approach was unique.

He focused on tracking price fluctuations within a supermarket, allowing customers to see if a 'special' is genuinely a good deal or just a marketing ploy.

The Chrome extension could be a game-changer for those who want to save a few extra dollars.

It could reveal whether a product's price has been stable for a while or is due for a change.

Some prices could fluctuate weekly, while others might hold their price for up to 49 days before dropping.

The extension could also help shoppers decipher confusing price tags and determine if a markdown is a genuine bargain or a minor dip.

The extension showed prices for an Oral B Pro electric toothbrush pack from $199 to $99.50—a whopping $99.50 saving!

Other items like nappies, tea bags, olive oil, and dishwashing tablets could also see substantial discounts, with potential savings ranging from $6.75 to $36.50.

However, it's not just about the discounts.

The conversation around supermarket specials raised concerns about the honesty of promotional tags.

Consumer advocacy group CHOICE criticised the confusing language used in supermarket deals.

These deals could make it difficult for shoppers to understand if they're getting an actual discount.

Coles has been called out for labels like 'while stocks last', which, even after inquiry, remain ambiguous.

Coles CEO Leah Weckert acknowledged the need for more transparent pricing and discounts.

She also promised to hold the supermarket to a higher standard.

In the meantime, Williamson's Chrome extension started empowering consumers to navigate complicated supermarket prices.

For those eager to try the extension out, it is available for download for both Google Chrome and Firefox users.

As of writing, Williamson started developing a similar tool for Woolworths, which could double the opportunities for savings.
Key Takeaways

• Australian data scientist Adam Williamson created a Google Chrome extension that predicts when Coles items may reduce in price, aiding shoppers during the cost of living crisis.
  • The extension gained popularity with customers and helped them save money by providing insights into the supermarket's pricing.
  • The price tracking tool could reveal if price reductions are genuine markdowns or part of regular pricing cycles.
  • Australian consumer advocacy group CHOICE raised concerns over the clarity of Coles' promotional tags and pricing, suggesting that it contributes to customer confusion.
Have you tried out this extension yet, or do you have other tips and tricks for saving at the supermarket? Share your experiences and money-saving advice in the comments below!

Sponsored