Coles receipt comparison highlights unfair reality of today's supermarket prices

Money is tighter than ever, and our members here at the SDC understand it can be tough to stretch your weekly budget, especially when prices for food, essential items and other necessities continually increase.

Just how much have prices gone up? Recently, one Coles shopper did the math to compare a few items on her grocery list to the prices she paid for the same items mere months ago, and the results are quite staggering.

The New South Wales mum compared an online order from late 2022 to current prices on the Coles website, listing 52 products and finding that, on average, individual items had increased in price by 21 per cent, or 64c.

The mum wrote: ‘So because I’m a data-driven wife and mother, who does the groceries, I decided to sit down and compare my online orders with Coles in the second half of 2022 vs prices now on their website. I’m not sure if anyone else finds this interesting (absolutely f*****) but here it is, Coles and their “down down” prices. These increases are in LESS than a year.’

The lowest increase was 5c for a kilo of Coles brand plain flour, while the biggest jump was an eye-watering 194 per cent on a 425g can of the supermarket’s sliced beetroot–now priced at $2.35 compared to 80c nine months prior.

Screenshot 2023-08-21 090251.png
A Coles shopper compared the supermarket item prices in 2022 vs 2023. Credit: Coles

In 2022, the total came to $192.80, but it is now up to $226.24-–an increase of $33.34 or 17 per cent.

The shopper listed big increases in prices for Parkers Pretzels (up 60 per cent) and Coles Choc Wafers (45 per cent).

But even the small increases add up over time—the same shopper found that panty liners were up 20c, ibuprofen had also gone up 20c and a four-pack of Coles brand double-length toilet paper rolls were 50c pricier.

The list, which was shared on social media, has snared the interest of many online users. One user wrote: ‘I still have screenshots of the catalogue from 2018/2019 in my phone. The difference in pricing is just crazy. I'll always remember the toilet paper price was a massive increase–$8.50 to $11.90 in one go.’

‘A lady after my own heart—I myself have gone back in and checked prices on my online orders—because I thought I was literally losing my mind with some of the price differences. The escalation is crazy—and certainly beyond 7-8 per cent “inflation”’, another user commented on the post.

Previously, Coles stated that the war in Ukraine and natural disasters like the New South Wales floods had resulted in price increases for some ingredients. They also cited the rising cost of labour, freight and packaging as contributing factors to the additional costs of processed food items.

In 2022, Coles revealed a $1.04 billion annual profit.

shutterstock_1089233159 (3).jpg
Coles said that increase in labour cost, freight and packaging contributed to the price increase of processed food in their stores. Credit: doublelee/Shutterstock

The National Food Supply Chain Alliance—which represents various sectors of the food industry—recently predicted that threats to the domestic supply chain would likely put pressure on grocery prices until the end of 2023, at least.

You can browse the shopper’s complete list here:
Screenshot 2023-08-21 103554.png

Key Takeaways
  • A Coles shopper has shared a price comparison of her online orders in late 2022 and mid-2023 to reveal the rising costs of supermarket products.
  • The comparison disclosed significant price hikes across food items, health and personal care products.
  • Various reasons have been cited by Coles for the increase in costs, including global conflicts, natural disasters impacting ingredients like wheat and soft vegetables, and rising costs of labour, freight and packaging.
  • The National Food Supply Chain Alliance forecasted last year that certain challenges and threats to Australia's domestic supply chain will likely continue to cause upward pressure on grocery prices until at least the end of 2023.

Members, we know how important it is to make a careful budget and always strive to get the best value for your money. But at the same time, it’s important to take note of today’s prices and compare them to past prices for more accurate budgeting. That way, you can better anticipate and manage any future price increases.

Did you notice the same trend in your local supermarkets? What item has the largest price increase? Let us know in the comments below!

Sponsored
I couldn't tell you the lowest price increase , all I know is everything has gone up and it's gone up alot.what makes me really mad is the increase in staples
Milk
Bread
Rice
Cereal
Butter
Meat

Why not at least keep the prices down.

Wasn't there a post recently saying coles was revamping Down Down Prices are down.

I no longer buy products like ice cream or biscuits , better any way.

My son and daughter have ordered a bullet ice cream maker

I make all biscuits and muffins .

Greedy Supermarkets will in the end suffer because people will be buying only essential items

Money is tighter than ever, and our members here at the SDC understand it can be tough to stretch your weekly budget, especially when prices for food, essential items and other necessities continually increase.

Just how much have prices gone up? Recently, one Coles shopper did the math to compare a few items on her grocery list to the prices she paid for the same items mere months ago, and the results are quite staggering.

The New South Wales mum compared an online order from late 2022 to current prices on the Coles website, listing 52 products and finding that, on average, individual items had increased in price by 21 per cent, or 64c.

The mum wrote: ‘So because I’m a data-driven wife and mother, who does the groceries, I decided to sit down and compare my online orders with Coles in the second half of 2022 vs prices now on their website. I’m not sure if anyone else finds this interesting (absolutely f*****) but here it is, Coles and their “down down” prices. These increases are in LESS than a year.’

The lowest increase was 5c for a kilo of Coles brand plain flour, while the biggest jump was an eye-watering 194 per cent on a 425g can of the supermarket’s sliced beetroot–now priced at $2.35 compared to 80c nine months prior.

View attachment 27925
A Coles shopper compared the supermarket item prices in 2022 vs 2023. Credit: Coles

In 2022, the total came to $192.80, but it is now up to $226.24-–an increase of $33.34 or 17 per cent.

The shopper listed big increases in prices for Parkers Pretzels (up 60 per cent) and Coles Choc Wafers (45 per cent).

But even the small increases add up over time—the same shopper found that panty liners were up 20c, ibuprofen had also gone up 20c and a four-pack of Coles brand double-length toilet paper rolls were 50c pricier.

The list, which was shared on social media, has snared the interest of many online users. One user wrote: ‘I still have screenshots of the catalogue from 2018/2019 in my phone. The difference in pricing is just crazy. I'll always remember the toilet paper price was a massive increase–$8.50 to $11.90 in one go.’

‘A lady after my own heart—I myself have gone back in and checked prices on my online orders—because I thought I was literally losing my mind with some of the price differences. The escalation is crazy—and certainly beyond 7-8 per cent “inflation”’, another user commented on the post.

Previously, Coles stated that the war in Ukraine and natural disasters like the New South Wales floods had resulted in price increases for some ingredients. They also cited the rising cost of labour, freight and packaging as contributing factors to the additional costs of processed food items.

View attachment 27926
Coles said that increase in labour cost, freight and packaging contributed to the price increase of processed food in their stores. Credit: doublelee/Shutterstock

The National Food Supply Chain Alliance—which represents various sectors of the food industry—recently predicted that threats to the domestic supply chain would likely put pressure on grocery prices until the end of 2023, at least.

Key Takeaways

• A Coles shopper has shared a price comparison of her online orders in late 2022 and mid-2023 to reveal the rising costs of supermarket products.
  • The comparison disclosed significant price hikes across food items, health and personal care products.
  • Various reasons have been cited by Coles for the increase in costs, including global conflicts, natural disasters impacting ingredients like wheat and soft vegetables, and rising costs of labour, freight and packaging.
  • The National Food Supply Chain Alliance forecasted last year that certain challenges and threats to Australia's domestic supply chain will likely continue to cause upward pressure on grocery prices until at least the end of 2023.

Members, we know how important it is to make a careful budget and always strive to get the best value for your money. But at the same time, it’s important to take note of today’s prices and compare them to past prices for more accurate budgeting. That way, you can better anticipate and manage any future price increases.

Did you notice the same trend in your local supermarkets? What item has the largest price increase? Let us know in the comments below!
Hubby was an accountant in a previous lifetime and he still keeps track of our spending ( thank goodness) and we have been shocked at the increases in prices. Of course we knew things were more expensive but the percentages in some cases is phenomenal.

View attachment 27925

View attachment 27926

Key Takeaways

All the major supermarkets are making ridiculous amounts of profits and screwing us all. Those banks also while reduing branches and staff.

I noticed the majority of items on the list are processed food which are full of garbage. I mainly shop for fresh seafood, meat, vegies, fruit, dairy & of course paper products. I only buy mushrooms loose (Packaged are always dearer) and only when on special these days (they were $9.50 Kg last week). We have our own vegie & herb garden and have had for 50 years. We did have 3 citrus trees until last year & then they all died (strange) We have strawberries in vegepod and passionfruit growing in the garden. I DIY laundry liquid $35 per 10 Lt, dishwasher powder, cleaning products. I don't buy any personal products including toothpaste & medications etc as our house is toxic chemical free as much as possible. Why pay for things that are poisoning us? I would rather spend more on non-toxic products as you can't put a price on your health. Yes my groceries have gone up - nearly had a heart attack 3 weeks ago when I saw the price of Salmon had gone up $10 per Kg to $46 so haven't had any for a few weeks. If you really need to have biscuits & cakes try making your own (if you have children it is a nice thing to do at the weekend with them and they always enjoy cleaning the bowl out after. LOL. I do buy savoury biscuits to go with cheese platters when we have family get together's & I also buy cakes occasionally. If you looked into the ingredients of the processed food & the side effects I think people would be shocked. We need to go back to non-toxic food.

View attachment 27925

View attachment 27926

Key Takeaways

not only the groceries, what about the bags they don't have to supply now (a very large saving for the supermarkets)NOW we pay for paper bags at1000% markup (their new product)

View attachment 27925

View attachment 27926

Key Takeaways

Anyone who shops at Cole or Woollies has rocks in their head...get real people....Coles and Woollies are in the business of making money, lots of it, by screwing the customer or the supplier.. haven't shopped at Coles or Woollies for love 20 years and don't intend to till the day I die. I go into their store and can't stop laughing ..... as all the sheep grazing stagger me.

I don't know how the CEO 's of Coles and Woolworths can speak with a straight face of all the reasons they state for the price hikes as we the customers know the majority of it is pure greed and profit at our expense. The increases have been proven to be way above inflation and who is doing anything about it. ABSOLUTELY NOBODY. We have organisations to sort all this sort of thing, fuel prices etc but nothing ever changes and we tbe customers just keep getting ripped off. Meanwhile people get paid great money to keep all this sort of thing in check. Another thing not working so well for the everyday Aussi!

View attachment 27925

View attachment 27926

Key Takeaways

View attachment 27925

View attachment 27926

Key Takeaways

Down down the prices are staying down WHAT A LOAD OFF BULLSHIT, HENCE THE BILLION PLUS PROFIT 📈 SURE NOT

View attachment 27925

View attachment 27926

Key Takeaways

It's downright disgusting & indeed insulting the nature of the excuses these legalized thieves come up with! There should be laws against it, given the insane amount of profit these mongrels rake in!

I don't know how the CEO 's of Coles and Woolworths can speak with a straight face of all the reasons they state for the price hikes as we the customers know the majority of it is pure greed and profit at our expense. The increases have been proven to be way above inflation and who is doing anything about it. ABSOLUTELY NOBODY. We have organisations to sort all this sort of thing, fuel prices etc but nothing ever changes and we tbe customers just keep getting ripped off. Meanwhile people get paid great money to keep all this sort of thing in check. Another thing not working so well for the everyday Aussi!
Spot on! Blaming labour costs is the biggest joke! Who's wages have gone up at all in this time, honestly?

I noticed the majority of items on the list are processed food which are full of garbage. I mainly shop for fresh seafood, meat, vegies, fruit, dairy & of course paper products. I only buy mushrooms loose (Packaged are always dearer) and only when on special these days (they were $9.50 Kg last week). We have our own vegie & herb garden and have had for 50 years. We did have 3 citrus trees until last year & then they all died (strange) We have strawberries in vegepod and passionfruit growing in the garden. I DIY laundry liquid $35 per 10 Lt, dishwasher powder, cleaning products. I don't buy any personal products including toothpaste & medications etc as our house is toxic chemical free as much as possible. Why pay for things that are poisoning us? I would rather spend more on non-toxic products as you can't put a price on your health. Yes my groceries have gone up - nearly had a heart attack 3 weeks ago when I saw the price of Salmon had gone up $10 per Kg to $46 so haven't had any for a few weeks. If you really need to have biscuits & cakes try making your own (if you have children it is a nice thing to do at the weekend with them and they always enjoy cleaning the bowl out after. LOL. I do buy savoury biscuits to go with cheese platters when we have family get together's & I also buy cakes occasionally. If you looked into the ingredients of the processed food & the side effects I think people would be shocked. We need to go back to non-toxic food.
You are one of a few.... i have managed to keep living expenses down to $2.00 a day or less
They are all in it together....I used to go to meetings where there was always a position present and when asked why I was told he was the "non-executive director " who was there to you know "nod, nod. wink, wink" say no more. The whole bunch of them are corrupt..... and he was receiving a 6 figure sum as well.

Reactions: Rhondda@Benji

View attachment 27925

View attachment 27926

Key Takeaways

I didn't see the pension rise by these amounts, no wonder the charities are worn into the ground feeding people who usually wouldn't be in the queue......whilst the big companies are posting big returns for their shareholders.

I don't see the average wage earner getting a raise, everyone is just trying to keep their jobs as companies downsize. Too scared to ask for a pay rise.

Reactions: Rhondda@Benji