Coles' new vanilla 'ice cream' recipe sparks outrage for 'ruining' an Aussie favourite

The recent change to a beloved budget-friendly dessert has left Australian consumers with a bitter taste, as Coles' own brand 'Simply Vanilla' frozen treat undergoes a controversial transformation.

The supermarket's decision to introduce a 'new recipe' for its $4.50 2L tub of vanilla 'ice cream' has sparked a wave of disappointment and frustration among its loyal customers.

The product has now been rebranded as a 'flavoured frozen dessert', sparking outrage and confusion among consumers.

The change was first noticed by an eagle-eyed shopper who took to social media to express their disappointment.

SDC Images (24).png
Coles has introduced a new recipe for its vanilla ice cream tub. Image sources: Coles (left), Reddit (right).

'PSA: Coles vanilla ice cream is no longer ice cream, it’s now a “flavoured frozen dessert”,' they wrote, alongside a photo of their discarded tub.

'I assume they can’t call it ice cream anymore since the first ingredient is water.'

'As a lifelong cheap ice cream eater, this stuff is not fit for human consumption. Here it is, pictured in the bin, where it belongs.'

Coles responded quickly, assuring customers that the product's flavour remains the same.

'Dessert lovers can rest assured that this product still has the same great taste they know and love,' a spokesperson said.

The supermarket also explained that the product's return to stores was delayed due to disruptions caused by the Lismore floods.

But what exactly has changed in the recipe? And why can't it be called 'ice cream' anymore?

According to codes set by Food Standards Australia New Zealand 'ice cream means a sweet frozen food that is made from cream or milk products or both, and other foods, and is generally aerated'.

Furthermore, for a product to be labelled as 'ice cream', it must 'contain not less than 10 per cent milk fat, 3.5 per cent protein and 36 per cent total solids'.

Starch may be added, but only to a maximum extent of 5 per cent under a declaration on the label.

If a product doesn't meet these specific compositional requirements, then it cannot be called ice cream.

The same standards also apply to soft serve ice cream.

It is understood that the recipe for Coles' product was changed about five years ago, but the recent packaging redesign has brought the change to the forefront.

The old label described the treat as 'vanilla flavoured ice dessert', and now it reads 'flavoured frozen dessert'.

The exact percentage of ingredients used on the frozen vanilla dessert's label has yet to be disclosed by Coles.

However, it does state that the main ingredient is water, followed by sugar syrup, and then glucose syrup.

Skimmed milk concentrate is the fourth item listed followed by 'maltodextrin', a form of wheat, then 'cream and/or milk fat'.

On the Coles website, the product is no longer labelled as ice cream, and is only labelled as 'Coles Simply Vanilla Ice Dessert'.

Meanwhile, the 4L version priced at $7 is still labelled as 'Coles Simply Vanilla Ice Cream'.

The change has sparked a wave of reactions online, with many customers expressing disappointment.

'That’s not ice cream, it’s some abomination,' one user commented.

While another replied: 'Well, I will not be buying Coles ice cream any more, or should I say frozen dessert?'

However, some customers were more forgiving, stating they would still eat it if it tasted good and was affordable.

'If it tastes like ice cream, looks like ice cream, smells like ice cream, it’ll do,' one wrote.

'New look—same great taste,' another commented.
Key Takeaways
  • Coles shoppers have expressed their dissatisfaction with the new recipe for the supermarket's own brand 'Simply Vanilla' frozen dessert, previously known as ice cream.
  • The product's main ingredient is now water, and due to regulatory standards, it has been re-labelled as a 'flavoured frozen dessert' rather than ice cream.
  • The most recent packaging redesign has drawn attention to the fact that the recipe and labelling have changed—despite being changed five years ago—leading to a flurry of customer complaints on social media.
  • Some customers remain unaffected by the change, stating they would still consume the product if it tastes good, while others are severely critical.
What are your thoughts on this change, members? Have you tried the new 'flavoured frozen dessert' from Coles? Let us know in the comments below.

Sponsored
Watered down milk now watered down ice cream! Not that i use either from Coles or woollies. Used to get Pauls full cram milk now i get the milk from 7-11 as it is cheaper than the supermarkets and is nice. Ice cream i get either streets (regular use) or Hagen Das (treat).

With a family member having osteoporosis and myself a permanent broken arm (can't get it fixed as i can't have anasthetic and they won't do arm block cause it's over 6 months) we can't stuff about with calcium levels. So if it's watered down or not got the right info on the label (ie frozen dessert) then why should i bother with it when i can spend the money on something of better benefit for us.

Wouldn't even bother with what coles calls ice cream now.

Just like Coles BBQ sausages.
They have now changed them to “Simply” brand and they are disgusting!
Totally full of fat.
The original ones had hardly any fat in them!
Will not be buying “Simply” branded products from Coles ever again!

Used to be called "Ice Confection" Aldi's Ice "cream" is the same. Coles sausages no longer have sausage casings on them, they have a type of gelatin on them that will burn very, very quickly leaving the middle under-cooked (I cook them on less than quarter heat, stove top) and they swell a lot (man, if I could swell like that I'd be happy).
Arise! Sir Sausage, go forth unto the butchers and find out what has happened to the casings! Oh, and by the way, please don't multiply!

Make it at home..... at least you know what is going into it.....

Used to be called "Ice Confection" Aldi's Ice "cream" is the same. Coles sausages no longer have sausage casings on them, they have a type of gelatin on them that will burn very, very quickly leaving the middle under-cooked (I cook them on less than quarter heat, stove top) and they swell a lot (man, if I could swell like that I'd be happy).
Arise! Sir Sausage, go forth unto the butchers and find out what has happened to the casings! Oh, and by the way, please don't multiply!
Brings a whole new meaning to "slip her the sausage". Great sex thanks to Coles!

Just like Coles BBQ sausages.
They have now changed them to “Simply” brand and they are disgusting!
Totally full of fat.
The original ones had hardly any fat in them!
Will not be buying “Simply” branded products from Coles ever again!
This must be very new as I didn't see anything new, naming the Coles brand ice cream on Tuesday. :unsure:

My mother used to make 'icecream' (questionable), when l was a lad with CARNATION MILK & other ingredients. I think the taste is still in my mouth. Thank goodness for what we buy now.
I thought that would have tasted nice! Mum used to make all sorts of things using Carnation Milk when I was a kid combined with vanilla essence. I used to sneak some when she wasn't looking. But I do recall it was quite sickly!

I thought that would have tasted nice! Mum used to make all sorts of things using Carnation Milk when I was a kid combined with vanilla essence. I used to sneak some when she wasn't looking. But I do recall it was quite sickly!
Yes, l remember other uses for Carnation Milk such as in hot drinks. Perhaps my mother didn't add the vanilla essence?

Reactions: Veggiepatch