henrybraude

Jun 6, 2022
Coles gauging at the checkout

Just a little snippet. This has happened before at Coles (Neutral Bay) but not on two successive days! I scanned my 7 seeded bread which has gone up to $3.70 a loaf yesterday & it scanned at $3.80! I demanded that it be free as it should be according to the ACCC & got it free. Today I scanned a Scweppes bottle of Blood Orange - shown as & $2.60 on the tag on the shelves and it scanned as $3.00 - again I know my rights & got it free.

I wonder how many people pay these gouging amounts, who don't take not of the prices or who go to the manned checkouts & who wouldn't be any the wiser unless they checked their dockets when they had already paid & got their items home

Reactions: deedum and crickit
To be honest I would be to embarrassed 😳 to actually demand it for free. If I saw that I was over charged I would say something but would never demand it for free.
That's on there policy and that's what the state on there goods, if you get over charged on an item then they will give it to you for free .. nothing to be embarrassed about..... they charge enough as it is... so why not get something for nothing :cool:

Coles and Woolies are notorious for over charging. I have received many free items over the years. I'm annoyed that it's only when you the customer are watching the scanned price and think to yourself I'm sure that wasn't the ticketed price and get a price check them remind them of their policy that the item is free. I feel sorry for the elderly and those who may not have good vision to keep up and watch the scanned price when unpacking their groceries as this over charging all adds to huge extra profits! And it is always an overcharge!

Alan Kohler is perhaps the best finance man on tv news and recently pointed out that the profit supermarkets make is approximately 3% of revenue....less than interest paid into a savings account. Grocery shopping has become more expensive...yes but they are in the business of retail and their real return is certainly not excessive. This forum seems to avoid criticism of banks...perhaps a change of focus is necessary.

I think this is a fabulous idea I will on future take more notice of the price on the shelf definitely

Alan Kohler is perhaps the best finance man on tv news and recently pointed out that the profit supermarkets make is approximately 3% of revenue....less than interest paid into a savings account. Grocery shopping has become more expensive...yes but they are in the business of retail and their real return is certainly not excessive. This forum seems to avoid criticism of banks...perhaps a change of focus is necessary.
I dont see where you get 3% I personally know many markups are over 35-40%. eg International coffee $10.90 one day and $16.50 the next.....also the comm bank works on %3 too but based on trillions, same as Coles.. this kind of money is not generally calculated on general economics.Also they sell goods today and then pay their suppliers 30-60-90-days a unbelievable amount of cash at zero interest...this is where they make the money..not selling groceries.....they also make a lot of money off their suppliers by way of penalties etc

That's on there policy and that's what the state on there goods, if you get over charged on an item then they will give it to you for free .. nothing to be embarrassed about..... they charge enough as it is... so why not get something for nothing :cool:
It is o.k. to point out the error to the checkout person & expect them to offer the product for free, BUT WHY MAKE A PRAT OF YOURSELF & DEMAND IT FOR FREE?

Reactions: Suzanne rose
More fool you - the ACCC advocates that it should be free..
Some children are brought up knowing how to treat people with respect while other children are dragged up.
Being respectful to people will always get you further in this world than disrespect.

Put yourself in that shop assistant's position being spoken to like that, wouldn't you be tempted to punch that arrogant person making demands? OF COURSE YOU WOULD!!!

Reactions: henrybraude
I only stood up for my rights - dis not abuse the shop assistant & they provided the items free with a smile on their face - so if anything you are ABUSING ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I only stood up for my rights - dis not abuse the shop assistant & they provided the items free with a smile on their face - so if anything you are ABUSING ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I don't think l am. Just calling the situation as l see it from your statement. Left yourself open to criticism. "I DEMANDED". The shop assistant would have been aware of their obligations. DID YOU RAISE YOUR VOICE & DEMAND THESE ITEMS FOR FREE?

AFTER ALL, YOU DID AGREE WITH MY STATEMENT, WHICH MUST ACCOUNT FOR SOMETHING, WOULDN'T YOU AGREE???