Coles experiences ‘technical mishap’ with new anti-theft device

It's no secret that retail theft is an ongoing issue for supermarkets.

They will go to protect their merchandise—from security guards and CCTV cameras to more discreet sensor detection technologies. And let's not forget those alarms at store exits.

But Coles has devised a new way to protect their stores and customers.

Coles is now installing ‘Anti-Theft Fog’ devices at its stores across the country.

The ‘Anti-Theft Fog’ releases a thick fog over shelves, check-outs, and store registers when an alarm is triggered after hours, making it difficult for thieves to see within the premises.

20231121_082027_0000.png
Coles’s Anti-Theft Fog creates a mishap in one of its stores. Credit: Reddit

However, a 'technical mishap' at one store made people witness the ‘smoke cloak’ in action—the fog began to be released during store hours.

A shopper shared photos of their alarming experience on social media.

They said they went grocery shopping at Coles’s Melbourne late at night when the smoke filled the front of the store.

‘Not sure exactly what happened as I was wearing my headphones and zoned out in my own world, but I stopped by my local Coles to grab something for dinner on my way home around 10:20 pm last night,’ they said.

'As I was walking to the checkout, I heard a loud pop and smoke gradually filling the store (there was no burning smell, and everyone in the store was relatively calm, however, the firm alarm did go off).’

'The smoke eventually went away after two to three minutes. Does anyone know what it may have been?'

Several users answered that the smoke was likely the store’s anti-theft device.

‘Anti-theft fog, it’s used to stop thieves,’ one confirmed.

‘They're meant to go off if the store is broken into/ram raided after closing time as it’s nearly impossible to steal stuff when you can't see s***,’ another said.

‘Definitely a malfunction if it was during open times.’

Another commented, ‘It’s called a smoke cloak.’

The shopper said he wasn’t aware that this type of device existed.

‘Thank you to everyone who took the time to clarify that it’s a security/anti-theft mechanism,” they said.

‘I genuinely had no idea that they used them at grocery shops!’

It’s also understood that there are no health risks associated with fog technology.

Did you know that Coles has another security measure in its stores?

In a previous story, a shopper shared his experience pushing his trolley–with nothing but his toddler and empty reusable bags in it. As the alarm began to beep, his trolley wheels were locked up, and they couldn’t move.

‘I had no idea Coles had tech to lock up your trolley,’ he told his shocking experience.

According to Coles, ‘Trolley lock technology has been in place at several of our stores in recent years, and this technology uses sensors to prevent trolleys leaving the store if someone hasn't first paid at a register.’

Coles also confirmed that they employ plain-clothes 'loss prevention officers' and use other anti-theft measures, such as product protection and target hardening, to ensure their customers’ safety and the security of goods.

Key Takeaways

• Coles is installing 'Anti-Theft Fog' devices in stores around Australia to deter robbery attempts.
  • The technology works by discharging a heavy fog, hindering visibility, when a break-in is detected after hours.
  • A 'technical mishap' at a Melbourne store allowed customers to witness the device in action.
Members, do you think anti-theft fog devices are an effective tool for catching thieves? Let us know in the comments below!

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsored

They will go to protect their merchandise—from security guards and CCTV cameras to more discreet sensor detection technologies. And let's not forget those alarms at store exits.

Coles is now installing ‘Anti-Theft Fog’ devices at its stores across the country.

The ‘Anti-Theft Fog’ releases a thick fog over shelves, check-outs, and store registers when an alarm is triggered after hours, making it difficult for thieves to see within the premises.

View attachment 35297

However, a 'technical mishap' at one store made people witness the ‘smoke cloak’ in action—the fog began to be released during store hours.

They said they went grocery shopping at Coles’s Melbourne late at night when the smoke filled the front of the store.

‘Not sure exactly what happened as I was wearing my headphones and zoned out in my own world, but I stopped by my local Coles to grab something for dinner on my way home around 10:20 pm last night,’ they said.

'As I was walking to the checkout, I heard a loud pop and smoke gradually filling the store (there was no burning smell, and everyone in the store was relatively calm, however, the firm alarm did go off).’

'The smoke eventually went away after two to three minutes. Does anyone know what it may have been?'

‘They're meant to go off if the store is broken into/ram raided after closing time as it’s nearly impossible to steal stuff when you can't see s***,’ another said.

‘Thank you to everyone who took the time to clarify that it’s a security/anti-theft mechanism,” they said.

It’s also understood that there are no health risks associated with fog technology.

In a previous story, a shopper shared his experience, that as he was pushing his trolley–with nothing but his toddler and empty reusable bags in it. As the alarm began to beep, his trolley wheels were locked up, and they couldn’t move.

‘I had no idea Coles had tech to lock up your trolley,’ he told his shocking experience.

According to Coles, ‘Trolley lock technology has been in place at several of our stores in recent years, and this technology uses sensors to prevent trolleys leaving the store if someone hasn't first paid at a register.’

Coles also confirmed that they employ plain-clothes 'loss prevention officers' and use other anti-theft measures, such as product protection and target hardening, to ensure their customers’ safety and the security of goods.

Key Takeaways

• Coles is installing 'Anti-Theft Fog' devices in stores around Australia to deter robbery attempts.
  • The technology works by discharging a heavy fog, hindering visibility, when a break-in is detected after hours.
  • A 'technical mishap' at a Melbourne store allowed customers to witness the device in action.
Members, do you think anti-theft fog devices are an effective tool for catching thieves? Let us know in the comments below!
Give me strength...... all this cost comes out of your pockets.......

And so does the cost of theft itself. If people would just stop stealing stuff then things might just change, but until then money has to be spent to protect against low as thieves.
And don't all go 'oh the poor people that have to steal to survive' most theft is not by necessity!

I agree.

Stores have to spend and pass those costs on to us.

Governments, do what's needed to protect us.

Change legislation to impose harsher penalties.

Thieves will think twice if they face prison time instead of good behaviour bonds and suspended sentences.

I agree.

Stores have to spend and pass those costs on to us.

Governments, do what's needed to protect us.

Change legislation to impose harsher penalties.

Thieves will think twice if they face prison time instead of good behaviour bonds and suspended sentences.
Now that it has been made public you will find them wearing gas masks.....

View attachment 35297

In a previous story, a shopper shared his experience, that as he was pushing his trolley–with nothing but his toddler and empty reusable bags in it. As the alarm began to beep, his trolley wheels were locked up, and they couldn’t move.

Key Takeaways

Perhaps it's time to tell them to FOG OFF!!

Stupid thing about the anti theft fog is that it would be only operational during the night time in the event of a break in.
Can you imagine it going off during the day when people are shopping???????????? Me thinks not.
wear your anti fog glasses---hahah!

Reactions: Nichola and magpie1
If it is meant to go off after hours when there is a break in it might work. But if the fog only lasts a few minutes is there any point. Won’t take long for the thieves to work that out, they probably won’t even have time to get out of the store before the fog is cleared.

Well i guess if you're desperate to go in store shopping after hours now you need to pack some fog lights for the trip. HAHAHA

Reactions: magpie1
Seriously.... What else can they do with the millions they rake in from ripping everyone off with high prices? Maybe next they'll employ a staff member to shadow every customer and make sure they don't pinch anything.

Reactions: Nichola and Heddy
PLEASE - Just go back to manned checkouts and let us all get on with our lives!!
People need the work for heavens sake, and we all prefer a greeting from a human not a bot🤖
Do you actually believe that theft has started because of self checkouts?
People steal and just walk out of the store with pants or strollers full of groceries, through self serve and manned checkouts. Staff/ security for some reason aren't allowed to do anything. But why? They should be allowed to question them and check their bags. But no, they get aggressive.
And anyway, this story is about after hours break and enter measures.

Reactions: Nichola and PattiB

View attachment 35297

Key Takeaways

No idea if it helps on not. No concern to me as I don't break in or steal from my supermarket.

Seriously.... What else can they do with the millions they rake in from ripping everyone off with high prices? Maybe next they'll employ a staff member to shadow every customer and make sure they don't pinch anything.
Not bloody likely....they won't even employ staff members on the checkouts anymore.