Coles’ brand new ‘lazy’ buy has customers baffled - see why!

Whenever we go shopping, it's nice to have options and convenience, but we've all heard the expression ‘sometimes, less is more’, and it seems to be more and more accurate every passing day.

Sometimes it can be hard to decide how much is the right amount of convenience, which is exactly the feeling this Coles shopper experienced.

The customer posted a photo of the supermarket’s newest offering on Twitter: Coles Bakery Pancakes 5pk.

Much to the man’s confusion, this product was not a pancake mix or batter, but pre-made pancakes sealed in individual plastic containers.

‘Nice work reducing plastic waste,’ he sarcastically wrote in the tweet, tagging the official account of the supermarket. ‘And how lazy do you have to be to buy these? I can’t cook to save myself, but even I can do pancakes.’

Screen Shot 2022-12-16 at 9.41.11 AM.png
A shopper called out Coles online for offering pre-made pancakes and contributing to unnecessary plastic in stores. Credit: Twitter.

Others, though, called out the shopper for being ‘insensitive’ with his post.

In a reply to his tweet, one user said: ‘Looks to me like a handy product for people who can't cook for whatever reason... age, ability, etc. It’s nice to have variety.’

‘I say pancakes for everyone... not just those of us privileged enough to be able to cook them,’ they added.

Another user responded and argued, ‘Disabled people exist, mate. It's pretty cr***y feeling to be called lazy when it’s just something you’re physically unable to do.’

Coles has been trying to reduce the amount of single-use plastic in their products as part of the company’s ‘Together to Zero waste’ ambitions.

A Coles spokesperson reviewed this commitment to a news source, saying that these pre-made pancakes do indeed come in 100% recycled single-use plastic.

‘Coles bakery pancakes use packaging that is recyclable and made with 100 per cent recycled plastic,’ said the representative.

‘This is one of the many initiatives Coles has adopted as part of our Together to Zero waste ambition, to reduce problematic and unnecessary single-use plastics packaging in our Coles Own Brand product packaging.’
Key Takeaways

• A shopper was left unimpressed with the latest offering from Coles: their Bakery Pancakes 5pk - pre-made pancakes packaged in plastic.
  • The customer voiced his frustrations on Twitter, calling out the supermarket for their backward effort in reducing plastic waste.
  • A Coles representative commented on the situation and confirmed that the supermarket uses packaging that is recyclable and made with 100 per cent recycled plastic.
  • Others disagreed and mentioned that it may be helpful for those unable to cook due to disabilities, age or other factors.
This comes after the supermarket giant had to pause their soft plastic recycling initiative, the REDCycle Program, after it was discovered that over one billion pieces of soft plastic were diverted from landfill.

REDCycle confirmed the news and explained that ‘unforeseen challenges’ have rocked their operations, including key partners being unable to take in recycled soft plastic.

This led to some shoppers being left with no choice but to ‘dump’ their soft plastics in the section of a store previously occupied by a recycling station.

What do you think of this, members? Are you also concerned about the increasing number of pre-packaged items in supermarkets? Share your thoughts with us in the comments below!

And while we’re at it, here is a quick and simple tutorial on how to make pancakes at home, saving you from having to buy pre-made and pre-packaged foods at the store.

Credit: delicious. Australia

Sponsored
This gentleman should look around the bakery section with his eyes OPEN..prepare pancakes by a different company have been on the shelves for years...this items don't have to be purchased if you can make yourself, but extremely handy for people who can't...I assume he has never bought an item for convenience

Wow to be so perfect to maybe never use convenience products or ready meals must be amazing. Don't forget my friend people with certain disabilities may not be able to produce yummy pancakes, busy working families like for their kidlet's to be able to get their own breakfast or maybe Mum or Dad want a break on the weekend's so they get a couple of packets of pancakes for a fun family breakfast. Think before you put finger to keyboard.

Whenever we go shopping, it's nice to have options and convenience, but we've all heard the expression ‘sometimes, less is more’, and it seems to be more and more accurate every passing day.

Sometimes it can be hard to decide how much is the right amount of convenience, which is exactly the feeling this Coles shopper experienced.

The customer posted a photo of the supermarket’s newest offering on Twitter: Coles Bakery Pancakes 5pk.

Much to the man’s confusion, this product was not a pancake mix or batter, but pre-made pancakes sealed in individual plastic containers.

‘Nice work reducing plastic waste,’ he sarcastically wrote in the tweet, tagging the official account of the supermarket. ‘And how lazy do you have to be to buy these? I can’t cook to save myself, but even I can do pancakes.’

View attachment 10578
A shopper called out Coles online for offering pre-made pancakes and contributing to unnecessary plastic in stores. Credit: Twitter.

In a reply to his tweet, one user said: ‘Looks to me like a handy product for people who can't cook for whatever reason... age, ability, etc. It’s nice to have variety.’

‘I say pancakes for everyone... not just those of us privileged enough to be able to cook them,’ they added.

Another user responded and argued, ‘Disabled people exist, mate. It's pretty cr***y feeling to be called lazy when it’s just something you’re physically unable to do.’

Coles has been trying to reduce the amount of single-use plastic in their products as part of the company’s ‘Together to Zero waste’ ambitions.

A Coles spokesperson reviewed this commitment to a news source, saying that these pre-made pancakes do indeed come in 100% recycled single-use plastic.

‘Coles bakery pancakes use packaging that is recyclable and made with 100 per cent recycled plastic,’ said the representative.

‘This is one of the many initiatives Coles has adopted as part of our Together to Zero waste ambition, to reduce problematic and unnecessary single-use plastics packaging in our Coles Own Brand product packaging.’
Key Takeaways

• A shopper was left unimpressed with the latest offering from Coles: their Bakery Pancakes 5pk - pre-made pancakes packaged in plastic.
  • The customer voiced his frustrations on Twitter, calling out the supermarket for their backward effort in reducing plastic waste.
  • A Coles representative commented on the situation and confirmed that the supermarket uses packaging that is recyclable and made with 100 per cent recycled plastic.
  • Others disagreed and mentioned that it may be helpful for those unable to cook due to disabilities, age or other factors.
This comes after the supermarket giant had to pause their soft plastic recycling initiative, the REDCycle Program, after it was discovered that over one billion pieces of soft plastic were diverted from landfill.

REDCycle confirmed the news and explained that ‘unforeseen challenges’ have rocked their operations, including key partners being unable to take in recycled soft plastic.

This led to some shoppers being left with no choice but to ‘dump’ their soft plastics in the section of a store previously occupied by a recycling station.

What do you think of this, members? Are you also concerned about the increasing number of pre-packaged items in supermarkets? Share your thoughts with us in the comments below!

And while we’re at it, here is a quick and simple tutorial on how to make pancakes at home, saving you from having to buy pre-made and pre-packaged foods at the store.

What's the fuss about. I don't see anyone complaining about the pikelets. I used to get the packaged pancakes all the time, now I live in Tasmania and they only have pikelets. Same packaging but different brand. Too much mess when you cook for one.

View attachment 10578

Key Takeaways

I find if staying in a Motel room where there is no cooking facilities it is a good idea and I agree with other people comment especially the aged,the disability or cannot have cooking ingredients available.

View attachment 10578

Key Takeaways

Why are they only a 5 Pk?

Just plain stupid!
So I suppose buying packaged bread is lazy, or vegetables, or meat? I see everything wrong with this whinger; I'll bet he doesnt grow and process ALL ingredients for every meal! Some people aren't happy unless they have something to bitch about! And then they have to put it all on "social" media! Build a bridge dickhead.

View attachment 10578

Key Takeaways

View attachment 10578

Key Takeaways

Im lazy. I would buy them if I felt like pancakes.

My comment has nothing to do with ability nor laziness. However, i just wonder how many people under the age of forty actually know how to make pancakes from scratch. That generation were brought up on the bottled stuff off the shelf, i wouldn't have a clue how that stuff is cooked.

View attachment 10578

Key Takeaways

I can make bread too, but I usually choose to buy it. I can chop up veggies, but pre-chopped veggies are available in the veg section. Why he's chosen pancakes to make a fuss about I can't fathom...