Coeliac or gluten-sensitive? Tim Tams now come in a gluten-free version!

Nom, nom, nom.

The unmatched experience of biting into a Tim Tam resonates with many Aussies, who are consistently captivated by its rich, chocolatey flavour.

However, for around 1 in 70 Australians, this pleasure has been out of reach due to coeliac disease, making Tim Tams off-limits for some.

Coeliac disease is an autoimmune disorder where the ingestion of gluten leads to damage in the small intestine, making it essential for those affected to avoid foods containing wheat, barley, and rye.

Recently, there's been encouraging news for those with coeliac disease: Arnott’s has introduced gluten-free Tim Tams, offering a beloved treat without the worry of gluten content.

Arnott's has reportedly been working on a gluten-free range of popular products behind the scenes, like Mint Slices, Tiny Teddies, Shortbread Cream, and Choc Ripples.

Finally, here comes the gluten-free Tim Tam, available in packs of seven biscuits, priced at $5.50.

For comparison, the standard Tim Tam, which contains 11 biscuits, retails for $4.50.

While the gluten-free version is notably pricier, it’s a welcome development for those with dietary restrictions.

This new offering has been anticipated by many, especially considering the success and positive reception of Arnott's other gluten-free products in supermarkets.

FB resize 152.jpg
Tim Tams now offer a gluten-free variant. Image source: TikTok (@han_fitzy)

Social media user Hannah Fitzy was excited upon discovering three years ago that she has coeliac disease, a condition where individuals are allergic to gluten, barley, and other wheat products.

‘I woke up super early to go find gluten-free Arnott’s Tim Tams,’ she said, hopping in her car for the goods.

‘I went to three places. I found them. They were fully stocked. They smell the same, they smell the same as others.’

After taking a bite, she felt they tasted just like regular Tim Tam biscuits and even double-checked to ensure they were genuinely gluten-free because of their striking resemblance.

Other social media users were also delighted by the new development.

‘I have lived in Australia for five years and I am going to finally taste my first Tim Tam,’ one wrote.

‘But why does GF always have less than a normal pack?’ another asked.

‘Literally sold out everywhere I’ve looked,’ another said.

‘Not a fan of the price though,’ one shared.

‘That’s so good. About time they did more GF (gluten-free) foods,’ another commented.

Gluten-free Tim Tams.jpeg
A shopper spotted Gluten-Free Tim Tams at Coles in North Perth. Image source: Facebook (@melaniekphillips)

A representative from Arnott’s shared with news.com.au that the brand was honoured to introduce the item.

‘For the quarter of Aussies who avoid gluten in their diets, Arnott’s is proud to be able to provide a range of great tasting products for these Aussies including Mint Slice, Shortbread Cream, Tiny Teddy, Choc Ripple, Scotch Finger, and TeeVee Snacks Original; now including Gluten Free Tim Tam,’ the spokesperson said.

‘The product has started to appear on shelves, with wider availability from November at Coles, Woolworths, IGA and independent retailers.’

‘In order to deliver a quality Gluten Free biscuit…our Gluten Free Tim Tam is made on a separate gluten-free line using a combination of high quality, gluten-free ingredients which come at a higher cost versus original Tim Tam flavours,’ the spokesperson added.
Key Takeaways

• Arnott's has released a gluten-free version of their iconic Tim Tam biscuit, a development that has been met with great excitement from coeliac and gluten-sensitive Australians.
  • The gluten-free Tim Tam is more expensive than the original and comes in a pack of seven for $5.50 compared to the traditional pack of 11 biscuits for $4.50.
  • Social media users have shared their experiences finding and tasting the new biscuits, with many reporting that they taste similar to the original.
  • Arnott’s spokesperson said that the product was developed on a separate gluten-free line, using high-quality, gluten-free ingredients, which contributed to its higher cost.
Members, who are excited about the gluten-free Tim Tam? Which other Arnott’s items or snacks would you love to see in a gluten-free version? Share your thoughts in the comments!

Sponsored