Clever man outwits a bank scammer: 'He had an excuse for everything!'

In an era where technology has made our lives easier, new avenues for fraudsters to exploit unsuspecting victims have also opened up.

One such incident recently occurred in New South Wales, where a quick-thinking man managed to outwit a scammer attempting to gain access to his bank details.

Ray, a resident of NSW, found himself on the receiving end of a sophisticated phishing scam.

The scammer, who posed as a National Australia Bank (NAB) bank employee, attempted to trick Ray into revealing his bank details.

shutterstock_2058303887.jpg
A man successfully stopped a scammer from obtaining his bank details. Image source: Shutterstock.

However, Ray's sharp instincts and knowledge of banking procedures helped him identify the red flags.

The scammer initiated contact with Ray via a text message containing a suspicious link.

'He sent me a text message with a link, and he wanted me to open the text,' Ray explained.

'I said to him, “No, I'm not going to open this text until I get confirmation from NAB,” because I wasn't just going to open a random text from someone calling off a private number.'

'It was a man with a British accent. He said everything you expect NAB would say, but he called me off a private number. He had an excuse for that. He had an excuse for everything.'

However, Ray remained sceptical and refused to open the text message.

'When he started getting irritated, I knew this guy was a scammer.'

In a surprising turn of events, the scammer ended the call with an explicit goodbye message, 'OK, f*** yourself, love you, bye bye,' before abruptly hanging up.

Chris Sheehan, NAB Executive for Group Investigations and National Fraud, praised Ray's actions and used the incident to highlight the warning signs Australians should be aware of.

'Ray did the right thing. NAB will never call you and ask you to share your one-time PIN, transfer money to another account to keep it safe, give us remote access to your devices or provide personal information like your driver’s licence details,' Mr Sheehan said.

'Criminals are masters at being insistent and pushy to create a sense of fear or urgency.'

'Their goal is to pressure the person to make the payment themselves or share personal details, such as log-in details or one-time passcodes.'

'If you aren’t sure if it is NAB calling you, hang up and call the bank yourself using the number on the back of your card or via searching it on our public website.'

Despite efforts by banks to reduce the number of Australians falling victim to scams, Mr Sheehan revealed that the global epidemic cost Australians more than $3 billion in 2022.

'While phone phishing remains an issue, we have seen a 77 per cent reduction in cases when comparing October to December 2023 to October to December 2022,' he said.

'We worked with telecommunications providers to put protections in place to make it harder for criminals to impersonate bank phone numbers and infiltrate legitimate text message threads.'

'This means that scam calls may appear as an unknown number or no caller ID, like in Ray’s case, whereas previously they might have appeared to come from a legitimate bank number.'

'NAB has also removed links from text messages we send customers to make it easier to identify when a message is legitimate. Text messages are the biggest front door to phishing scams.'
Key Takeaways
  • A man named Ray successfully identified a phishing scam attempt by a con artist pretending to be a NAB employee and seeking bank details.
  • Ray received a text message with a suspicious link, which he wisely chose not to open without confirmation from NAB as he recognised the warning signs of a scam.
  • NAB Executive Chris Sheehan affirmed that the bank will never ask customers for sensitive information like one-time PINs or personal details over the phone and advised customers to be wary of pushy calls that create a sense of urgency.
  • Despite challenges, NAB has seen a significant reduction in phone phishing cases and has implemented measures with telecommunications providers to make it harder for criminals to impersonate bank numbers and has removed links from text messages as an additional security measure.
Have you ever encountered a similar situation? Share your experiences and tips in the comments below to help others stay safe.

Sponsored
Diversity is not our friend, more trojan horse imports pretending with British accents now, scammers every day trying to get our money. If caught , deport. But who's going to catch them, nobody is looking.

Oh yes i have had a few the funniest one being a person with an Indian accent rang me and told me they were from taxation department informing me that I owed them a couple of thousand dollars, I told that was impossible and he kept insisting I owed it and and had to pay...I started laughing at him and he got upset demanding I pay the money and I said absolutely not because I have a a qualified tax agent that does my tax and to take it up with them and none to politely told them where to go...never heard from him again.🤣🤣

A little while ago I had someone with an Asian accent ring me. I was very suspicious & so asked him where he was ringing from. The answer was definitely the wrong one - he said New South Wales. I would have expected him to give the me city/town/suburb not the state. He was told none too politely where to go as I hung up.

I have given up trying to stop them so instead I have fun with them. I know my financial institutions would not ask the questions they do and have now learned most of the introductions on these scam calls. My phone also warns me of a possible scam so I am pretty ready for them. I go along with their questions always giving false information which really annoys them when they try to check it. I also agree with them that I made a purchase via Amazon (which I did not) but that the price they were saying was actually not enough. They usually say between $500.00 and $900.00 but I correct them and say it was $9,899Before that they often ask was my purchase made in California which I say no to. They then say that it must have been a purchase made by someone in California to which I reply it must have been someone from my family. They usually try to convince me to cancel the transaction so they can go into another pitch to obtain my banking details. Before they do I tell them that it is OK and to just process the payment. That annoys the hell out of them. I just have fun with them to waste their time and maybe help reduce the amount of calls they make each day. They are absolutely the scum of the earth and I dislike everything they do and stand for.

Diversity is not our friend, more trojan horse imports pretending with British accents now, scammers every day trying to get our money. If caught , deport. But who's going to catch them, nobody is looking.
They have caught a few of these scumbags. It's thanks to people reporting them to scamwatch. One of the scams I was getting a while ago I kept reporting as I assume many other people did and last week I read that they caught all the people that were involved. So I will continue to report the scams as it does help.

A few years back now l had a call on my land line from an overseas man with a lot of noise in the back ground. He informed me my computer had a virus which he would help me step through and fix. Instantly l thought this is a scam. He asked me to turn on the the computer l said l have done so. I was no where near the computer and had no intention of turning it on. Then he asked me to press two keys. I said l have now what? He lost it and told me he hoped l had a huge d...K went up me go f....K myself you stupid b...tch go get F...ked.
Then hung up on me. I must admit if shook me up. Of course a good lesson was if l don't know the number whether it be land line or mobile l don't answer the calls.

Kind regards Vicki

A few years back now l had a call on my land line from an overseas man with a lot of noise in the back ground. He informed me my computer had a virus which he would help me step through and fix. Instantly l thought this is a scam. He asked me to turn on the the computer l said l have done so. I was no where near the computer and had no intention of turning it on. Then he asked me to press two keys. I said l have now what? He lost it and told me he hoped l had a huge d...K went up me go f....K myself you stupid b...tch go get F...ked.
Then hung up on me. I must admit if shook me up. Of course a good lesson was if l don't know the number whether it be land line or mobile l don't answer the calls.

Kind regards Vicki
Well done Vicki. It is a common scam used to this day. Please don't be upset by the insults they throw at you. Treat them as scum and remember you have frustrated them and probably saved another person from the results of a scammer.

Kind regards Vicki
Obviously the 2 keys were supposed to bring something up and when you said now what, he knew you didn't do it. It just goes to show you how easy it is to upset them. They obviously think everyone is as stupid as they are, that is why the expletive rant.

I think authorities try, but there are so many.

Reactions: Ezzy and Bridgit
I have given up trying to stop them so instead I have fun with them. I know my financial institutions would not ask the questions they do and have now learned most of the introductions on these scam calls. My phone also warns me of a possible scam so I am pretty ready for them. I go along with their questions always giving false information which really annoys them when they try to check it. I also agree with them that I made a purchase via Amazon (which I did not) but that the price they were saying was actually not enough. They usually say between $500.00 and $900.00 but I correct them and say it was $9,899Before that they often ask was my purchase made in California which I say no to. They then say that it must have been a purchase made by someone in California to which I reply it must have been someone from my family. They usually try to convince me to cancel the transaction so they can go into another pitch to obtain my banking details. Before they do I tell them that it is OK and to just process the payment. That annoys the hell out of them. I just have fun with them to waste their time and maybe help reduce the amount of calls they make each day. They are absolutely the scum of the earth and I dislike everything they do and stand for.
I too have fun with them such as when the insurance call does the rounds about "the accident you had last year." I say "so you are the prick that ran into me, when are you going to pay me what you promised?" That gets them angry and abruptly hang up. One of them abused me and hung up then called me five times in the next half an hour to continue to abuse me. Each time I laughed at him which made him even more angry.

I once received a call supposedly from ANZ saying there was suspicious activity on my bank account from somewhere overseas that was trying to debit $800 so they were checking to see if I had recently made any purchases for that amount. When I said no, I was then asked to provide my bank account number so she could double check. Despite me telling her that ANZ obviously already had that or they wouldn’t have called me, she just kept talking over the top of me until I said (VERY loudly) “Stop talking!” Immediately a man came on the line and tried to soothe me, all the while insisting that it was imperative that I give them my account number so they could check the details of the supposed fraudulent debit. My response was that I was outside my local branch of ANZ and would go in to speak to the Manager to confirm what he was telling me. The line went dead. I was just sorry I hadn’t had the chance to say “loser!”

While you are having fun and reacting with them, they are collecting voice and grammar samples to scam the next person. If you don't know them when you answer hang up, as you are assisting their scams.
This was told to me by an officer in the fraud squad.

Finally someone with a brain and he used it. Well done. It is not hard to engage and we all know (it has been advertised widely) that the banks do not send you text messages like this at all. Unsolicited phone calls my hackles immediately go on alert.

Reactions: Ezzy and Marj53
Hello Everyone, well done Ray! There is a small selected group of people that understand my hearing issues. For the scammers out there, there phone calls would be silenced. I do not have the energy to take all these unknown callers. I get tired, because my ears get tired. I have always had to work harder trying to listen. I had a situation with the Tax Office, they sent me a text message, that someone from the the Tax Office, I am not giving the name, would call my mobile. My first instinct this is a scam. I never heard the caller because it was silenced. I got a letter from the tax office, a bit suspicious. This all turned out okay for me. I rang a trusted number. Thanks for reading. Bye everyone. Be kind to yourself.

Reactions: Ezzy and Marj53
I use an app called "Should I Answer" which has a POTENTIAL FRAUD warning when scammers call. The last call was an Amazon scam claiming someone had made a purchase in my name. Although a hadn't, I tell him I often make purchases in my name so wha't the problem. To waste his time, I ask him to repeat himself as I'm am nearly deaf thinking it would piss him off. He say my payment didn't work and he need my card details to fix it. to which I says I don't use cards to purchase online, only PayPal, After him trying to convince me to give up my card details, I thanks him for his time and hangs up. Over the next few days my phone hot from different numbers so I takes a call to have some fun and it's the same guy, same scam so I does the same thing all over again. I now have almost 300 blocked numbers from different scammers now and they even try calling from international numbers which fails as I have all international numbers blocked. You have to give them points for persistence.

What we do is just never answer the phone unless the person is in our "phone book". If the phone rings it always say "so and so is calling" so we pick up. Anyone else can leave a message. We signed up for Do Not Call and do not get as many these days. Works for us.

Reactions: Ezzy
On occasion I have had obvious scam telephone calls and plead that either I don't understand the caller (when they are obviously struggling with their English) or by telling them that I am deaf and they h ave to speak louder. Most of the time they will hang up immediately as they are not going to get anything they want from me.

Reactions: Ezzy