Churning up savings: Aussie mum’s butter-making trick is a spread above the rest!

In the face of rising living costs, Australians are getting increasingly inventive with their budgeting strategies.

Discover how one Australian woman has cracked the code to cost-effective indulgence with her ingenious recipe. Through a clever culinary manoeuvre, she's managed to churn out buttery goodness without breaking the bank.

Get ready to spread the savings as we unveil this thrifty kitchen trick that's bound to butter you up!

One clever Aussie, known as Frugal Fun Mum on social media, shared a delightful kitchen tip that not only saves dollars but also adds a touch of homemade charm to the kitchen.

‘Homemade butter is the way that I save money,’ she said.

photo (1).jpg
Frugal Fun Mum shared her cost-effective homemade butter recipe on social media. Credits: Tiktok / Frugal Fun Mum

She demonstrated how to make your own butter at home for less than $4—a testament to the ingenuity that can emerge from financial pressure.

By purchasing four tubs of thickened cream for $3.28 and using a stand mixer, she whips up not only butter, but also buttermilk, which can be used to create the perfect pancake mix or enrich other recipes.

‘I put them into the freezer until I’m ready to make cakes, biscuits, whatever I need with it as well. It is a great way to save money,’ she explained.

As Australians navigate the cost of living crisis, financial influencers and savvy savers are stepping up to share their top tips for stretching the dollar.

Victoria Devine, Host of the She’s on the Money podcast, recommended a simple yet effective approach: preparing a grocery shopping list.

To streamline the process and maximise savings, she suggests using apps like Copilot, which help shoppers compare sales at different supermarkets, such as Coles and Woolworths, and plan their shopping accordingly.

‘You can get it to tell you what’s on “special” at Coles versus Woolworths, and do your shopping list that way,’ Ms Devine said.

Sydney-based finance influencer Invest with Queenie also encouraged Australians to shop around, and not settle for high bills.

She recommended using comparison websites like Energy Made Easy, where you can input your current bills, and discover other areas for savings.

‘You can see whether it’s competitive and it recommends different providers that could cut down on your bills every month,’ she said.

You can watch Frugal Fun Mum’s full video here:

Source: Tiktok / Frugal Fun Mum

You can use this trick to make butter for your breakfast instead of eating out so you can avoid incidents like what this woman experienced at a hotel.

If you save some money doing this tip, you can try this fun way of managing your savings.
Key Takeaways

• An Australian mum, referred to as Frugal Fun Mum, shared her cost-effective hack for making homemade butter.
  • By using four tubs of thickened cream costing a total of $3.28, she was able to make butter and obtain butter milk, which can be used for making pancakes.
  • The hack is a helpful tip during the cost of living crisis, with Australians seeking ways to save money on everyday expenses such as groceries.
  • Finance influencers also offered advice, suggesting strategies such as preparing a shopping list with Copilot for the best sales, and using comparison sites like Energy Made Easy to find cheaper service providers.
Are you willing to try Frugal Fun Mum’s homemade butter recipe? What other money-saving tips do you have? Let us share and discuss in the comments below.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsored
I too make my own butter and freeze. But I’d like to know where the lady bought 4 tubs of thickened cream for $3.28! Certainly not around here!
Certainly not in Bundy but when I had my own cows I also made soft cheeses and milkshakes from half milk and half cream. My kids loved them.

Reactions: DLHM
Really silly headline - nothing FREE about making your own butter
Cream is a lot more than $3.28 for 4! More like $3.28 each and even that would be cheap
Woolworths New Zealand butter (so very likely grass fed apparently) is $4 - 4.50 for 250g anyway
So what’s free about it and why bother. . . Seriously????

Reactions: Jennie
She clearly bought the cream at reduced price, other not worth the trouble.
Nothing new either our mothers and grandmothers did this as well as some of us.
It's a good thing to do if you have purchased cream and it hasn't been used by UBD

Where does this lady buy thickened cream at the low price she bought in the demonstration??

Great! Thank you this have reinspired me to make my own butter, of course I will wait for the cream to be super discounted and I am actually shopping today so fingers crossed!

Don’t use much butter to warrant going to all that trouble waste of time.😊