Chocolate Angel Cake

Omg I made this on Saturday and it is so light and fluffy .
Follow the steps exactly, my daughter made this last week and took short cuts and wasn't perfect.

Total Time
Prep: 25 min. Bake: 35 min. + cooling
Makes
16 servings

Chocolate Angel Cake

Recipe by Taste of Home. One of my favourite sites​

Ingredients​

• 1-1/2 cups egg whites (about 8 large)
  • 1-1/2 cups icing sugar
  • 1 cup cake flour ( see below)
  • 1/4 cup cocoa
  • 1-1/2 teaspoons cream of tartar
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1 cup sugar
  • frosting:
  • 1 1/2 cups thickened cream
  • 1/2 cup sugar
  • 1/4 cup cocoa
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • Chocolate leaves, optional

METHOD
Preheat oven 190°C or 170°C fan-forced

1. Place egg whites in a large bowl; let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. Sift together icing sugar, flour and cocoa 3 times.

2. Add cream of tartar and salt to egg whites; beat on medium speed until soft peaks form. Gradually add sugar, about 2 tablespoons at a time, beating on high until stiff glossy peaks form and sugar is dissolved. Gradually fold in flour mixture, about 1/2 cup at a time.
  3. Spoon into an lightly greased 10-in. Bundt / tube pan. Cut through batter with a knife to remove air pockets.
  4. Bake on the lowest oven rack 190 °C or 170°C fan-forced until lightly browned and entire top appears dry, 35-40 minutes. Remove immediatelyfrom oven; cool completely, about 1 hour.
  5. Run a knife around side and center of pan. Remove cake to a serving plate.
  6. In a large bowl, combine the first 5 frosting ingredients; cover and chill for 1 hour. Beat until stiff peaks form.
  7. Spread over the top and sides of cake. Store in the refrigerator. Garnish with chocolate leaves if desired.
Notes

Use the egg yolks to nake custard dishes, custard pie or rice cream. All recipes are in the cooking section under my post

This is the cake flour I use . I also use this flour in my biscuit recipes
Slice of Cake.png

Last edited:
Sponsored
Sorry, but did I miss the temp to cook this at? Also, I feel this is an a American recipe, so does that mean the measurements will be the same as for Australia?

Sorry, but did I miss the temp to cook this at? Also, I feel this is an a American recipe, so does that mean the measurements will be the same as for Australia?
Why do you think its American ? I've added this recipe to Australian products ect and I've tried and tested it already.

Temperature was in the method. I have also added it now to the beginning of the Method .
I had already had the temperature in step 4

Last edited:
Reactions: DLHM and Littleboy8
I’d love to make this but I can only afford a dozen eggs a fortnight bummer.😩
Oh well I’ll just 👅 the screen and pretend🤣

• Haha
Reactions: DLHM
😋 Brings back memories for me. Have only baked it two or three times when my kids were young (we had chooks so no problems with all the egg whites). So light it feels like no calories! 😉
Hey I made my usual boring fruit cake today so next piece I have I’ll look at this cake and pretend I’m eating that instead.whaddya reckon think it’ll work🤣🤣

Why do you think its American ? I've added this recipe to Australian products ect and I've tried and tested it already.

Temperature was in the method. I have also added it now to the beginning of the Method .
I had already had the temperature in step 4
Sorry about that.... it was not intended to be anything other than a question. I missed the temp when going through the recipe, an oversight on my behalf. As to being American, I guess the term frosting I equate to an American recipe, tend to think of a topping as icing. Also, a number of the recipes that are posted here, all very good I might add, are not converted to metric and ingredients are listed by their American, or indeed British in some cases, names. I know it is not difficult to look up a conversion chart or Google a product for an equivalent, but perhaps the poster could do that for us prior to posting. And I tend to use weight when baking, as a cup measure can be a little subjective, and baking can be more of an exact science as the right amounts can be crucial to the outcome. All the best.

Reactions: Littleboy8 and DLHM