Child's outrageous stunt on flight sparks internet debate

If you’ve ever been stuck on a trip next to screaming babies, unruly children, and stressed-out parents, you know how frustrating it can get.

Such scenarios are enough to make even the most level-headed person lose their cool.

Unfortunately, that’s the case for one passenger when they witnessed an outrageous scene while flying recently.

In a video they posted on Reddit, a child could be seen bouncing on an extended tray table.

It is unclear whether or not the parent was anywhere nearby in the post titled ‘Letting children run wild during an 8-hour flight.’

The nine-second clip also shows an unfortunate man on the seat where the tray table was attached visibly getting rocked by the child’s motions

The post garnered almost 18,000 upvotes (likes) and thousands of comments, most of which showed displeasure at the child’s parents for unchecked behaviour.

Screenshot_1.png
The kid was barefoot as she jumped up and down the tray. Credit: Reddit/u/readysetgorilla

‘I would feel like a failed parent if my kids were doing this,’ one user wrote.

‘The parent or guardian is a moron. Not only is this rude, it’s f***ing dangerous,’ another pointed out.

A third one added: ‘If you were allowing your kids to do this you wouldn’t feel anything because you’d be too stupid to think critically about your awful parenting. That’s sadly how this works.’

Others took notice of the man whose seat was being jolted repeatedly.

‘Why is the guy just letting it happen? I would’ve said something,’ a user shared.

‘That dude is either the heaviest sleeper or us just dead inside,’ another user observed.

Some users also shared their experiences with errant children (and their irresponsible parents) on planes.

‘I had this happen to me once. The kid was sitting on the parent’s lap and kicking my seat as I tried to sleep. I asked the parent a couple of times to get the kid to knock it off and they told me to shut it and turn around.’ said one user.

Another said: ’I had a kid pulling strands of my hair as I tried to sleep last time I flew. My roommate caught them retracting their hand. The parents just shrugged at me.’

ezgif.com-gif-maker (1).png
Kids are a joy to see while travelling but can be a pain to be with when they get unruly. Stock Image Credit: Pexles/Oleksandr Pidvalnyi

Interestingly enough the most liked comment offered a calm and rational solution to similar situations despite the anger and disbelief in the comments.

The commenter, a frequent flyer by admission, encouraged people to contact flight attendants.

‘(I) usually deal with a rude passenger once or twice a year as I fly roughly 4-8 times monthly depending on work.’ they said.

‘Ask (the parents) politely once. Beyond that, don't engage, call over the flight attendant. They will ask them to stop, and if they refuse they'll usually move you to an upgraded seat if available.’

They said that if flight attendants don’t do the trick, then another official will step in.

‘They'll usually have an air marshal (also known as sky marshals) come over if one is available, but this is super rare. That will usually stop it.’

In cases where air marshals aren’t around, the commenter explained that flight attendants would threaten to speak to the pilot, which can even force a landing on a case-to-case basis.

‘If it gets to that point the customer will be blacklisted and you'll get a complimentary upgraded flight, (but) usually the (flight attendant) coming over is enough to put a stop to it.’

Speaking of flight attendants, you might want to read about a thing passengers do that apparently drives them ‘bonkers’.

You could also check out another flight attendant’s unfortunate experience with teens taking off for Schoolies that would leave most shaking their heads in disapproval.

What is your reaction to this story? What would you have done if you were being bothered on a flight or any other trip by a child whose parents won’t step in?

Share your thoughts and opinions below!

Source: Reddit/u/readysetgorilla

Sponsored
If you’ve ever been stuck on a trip next to screaming babies, unruly children, and stressed-out parents, you know how frustrating it can get.

Such scenarios are enough to make even the most level-headed person lose their cool.

Unfortunately, that’s the case for one passenger when they witnessed an outrageous scene while flying recently.

In a video they posted on Reddit, a child could be seen bouncing on an extended tray table.

It is unclear whether or not the parent was anywhere nearby in the post titled ‘Letting children run wild during an 8-hour flight.’

The nine-second clip also shows an unfortunate man on the seat where the tray table was attached visibly getting rocked by the child’s motions

The post garnered almost 18,000 upvotes (likes) and thousands of comments, most of which showed displeasure at the child’s parents for unchecked behaviour.

View attachment 9486
The kid was barefoot as she jumped up and down the tray. Credit: Reddit/u/readysetgorilla

‘The parent or guardian is a moron. Not only is this rude, it’s f***ing dangerous,’ another pointed out.

A third one added: ‘If you were allowing your kids to do this you wouldn’t feel anything because you’d be too stupid to think critically about your awful parenting. That’s sadly how this works.’

‘Why is the guy just letting it happen? I would’ve said something,’ a user shared.

‘That dude is either the heaviest sleeper or us just dead inside,’ another user observed.

Some users also shared their experiences with errant children (and their irresponsible parents) on planes.

‘I had this happen to me once. The kid was sitting on the parent’s lap and kicking my seat as I tried to sleep. I asked the parent a couple of times to get the kid to knock it off and they told me to shut it and turn around.’ said one user.

Another said: ’I had a kid pulling strands of my hair as I tried to sleep last time I flew. My roommate caught them retracting their hand. The parents just shrugged at me.’

View attachment 9485
Kids are a joy to see while travelling but can be a pain to be with when they get unruly. Stock Image Credit: Pexles/Oleksandr Pidvalnyi

Interestingly enough the most liked comment offered a calm and rational solution to similar situations despite the anger and disbelief in the comments.

The commenter, a frequent flyer by admission, encouraged people to contact flight attendants.

‘(I) usually deal with a rude passenger once or twice a year as I fly roughly 4-8 times monthly depending on work.’ they said.

‘Ask (the parents) politely once. Beyond that, don't engage, call over the flight attendant. They will ask them to stop, and if they refuse they'll usually move you to an upgraded seat if available.’

They said that if flight attendants don’t do the trick, then another official will step in.

‘They'll usually have an air marshal (also known as sky marshals) come over if one is available, but this is super rare. That will usually stop it.’

In cases where air marshals aren’t around, the commenter explained that flight attendants would threaten to speak to the pilot, which can even force a landing on a case-to-case basis.

‘If it gets to that point the customer will be blacklisted and you'll get a complimentary upgraded flight, (but) usually the (flight attendant) coming over is enough to put a stop to it.’

Speaking of flight attendants, you might want to read about a thing passengers do that apparently drives them ‘bonkers’.

You could also check out another flight attendant’s unfortunate experience with teens taking off for Schoolies that would leave most shaking their heads in disapproval.

What is your reaction to this story? What would you have done if you were being bothered on a flight or any other trip by a child whose parents won’t step in?

I would have laid my seat all the way back

We are quick to judge the parents on this and sometimes rightly so, but in these times of so many neurodiverse kids, this behaviour may be the norm for them. I don't like it but if it is not disturbing others too much and is keeping the child reasonably cooperative, then perhaps it could be overlooked. Not every story has a simple answer.

View attachment 9486

View attachment 9485

That poor man in the seat in front of her but I must say there’s NO WAY I would put up with that tbh

I would have spoken to the flight attendant. There is no way I would have had the patience to put up with the bouncing - it looks like the Chinese water torture!

Reactions: Jersey Girl
We did a 7 hour flight earlier this year from UK to Doha. There was a child of similar age on the other side of the isle one row down, who jumped, bounced, shouted, banged on the seats in front and behind, and yelled all the time (except during take off and landing). The mother (or carer) did nothing, the stewardess spoke to her but she just kept on and took no notice.

• Wow
Reactions: Ricci and Penny4