Chicken and Bacon Pie

This is a really easy dish and so tasty.

Screenshot_20240409_193034_Gallery.jpg
Recipe by Good Food

Ingredients​

• 1 tbsp oil (such as vegetable or sunflower oil)
  • 500g chicken breast or skinless and boneless thighs, roughly chopped
  • 200g bacon roughly chopped
  • 1 onion, roughly chopped
  • 2 carrots , roughly chopped
  • 1 celery stick, finely chopped
  • 1 bay leaf
  • a few stems if fresh tyme or 1 teaspoon dried
  • 150ml white wine or chicken stock extra
  • 1 tbsp wholegrain mustard
  • 2 tbsp plain flour
  • 250ml chicken stock
  • 150ml thickened cream
  • 320g pack ready-rolled puff pastry
  • 1 egg, beaten
  • peas or long-stemmed broccoli, to serve (optional)

Method​

• STEP 1
    Heat the oven to 200C/180C fan forced. Heat the oil in a large, lidded pan over a medium heat and fry the chicken and bacon until browned (the chicken does not need to be cooked through at this stage). Remove from the pan, leaving the oil behind, and set aside.

• STEP 2
    Tip the onion, carrots, celery, bay leaf and thyme into the pan, reduce the heat to medium-low, and cook with the lid on, stirring occasionally, for 10-12 mins until the carrot has softened a little and the onion is softened but not golden. Stir in the wine ( or extra stock) and cook for 2-3 mins to reduce a little. Tip the cooked chicken and bacon back into the pan and mix together. Stir in the mustard, then the flour, and cook for 1 min before pouring in the stock. Season, mix well and bring to a simmer. Reduce the heat and stir in the cream. Bring back to a simmer then turn off the heat and pour the mixture into a large ovenproof dish (ours was 23cm). You can freeze the filling at this stage for up to three months, defrost fully and continue making the pie.

• STEP 3
    Unwrap the puff pastry and, if needed, roll out a little more to ensure it will cover the dish. Cover the pie dish and remove any excess pastry before crimping the edges using your fingers. Use any excess pastry to decorate the top of the pie. Glaze the pastry all over with beaten egg, poke two holes in the top to allow steam to escape, then bake for 30-40 mins until golden. The pie can be frozen, unbaked, for up to three months. Cook from frozen for 1 hr-1hr 15 mins. Ensure it’s fully cooked through and cover with foil if it’s browning too much. Serve with peas or broccoli, if you like

Last edited:
Sponsored
I am sure it would taste very nice if someone else cooked it for me LOL

Reactions: DLHM
I'm sure if you followed the step by step recipe you could do it 😉
Not to say I don't take on challenges sometimes, but seeing that there are quite a few ingredients being used to create this delicious looking dish, some of which l have, it's not really feasible to purchase them all just to create the dish. Would never know how long it would be until I had a need for all of them again, if that makes sense? :)
Am about to go out and raid my vegie garden (only a small one) and pick some pumpkins to make soup for this winter. Having containers to store excess in the freezer, is a good thing. :)

Not to say I don't take on challenges sometimes, but seeing that there are quite a few ingredients being used to create this delicious looking dish, some of which l have, it's not really feasible to purchase them all just to create the dish. Would never know how long it would be until I had a need for all of them again, if that makes sense? :)
Am about to go out and raid my vegie garden (only a small one) and pick some pumpkins to make soup for this winter. Having containers to store excess in the freezer, is a good thing. :)
You should share your pumpkin soup recipe , if it's as good as your jokes then you should share

They look great, I would do soup with one and pumpkin balls and rissoles with the other . Yum pumpkin is my favourite vegetable
One is going to a lovely couple that are friends of mine. They have just left for Bali for 10 days.
The pumpkin ball rissoles I could probably manage to make :)

Last edited: