Chery Omoda 5 and Volvo XC40 trigger urgent recalls due to manufacturing and software issues

Two prominent automotive brands, Chery and Volvo, have issued urgent recalls for their vehicles due to separate concerns that could potentially compromise driver safety.

In our first story, Chery Australia has issued an urgent recall for 5,901 units of its Omoda 5 model following the discovery of a potentially fatal defect that could result in brake failure.

This recall affects all Chery Omoda 5 vehicles sold in Australia since local deliveries began in mid-2023.

'Due to a manufacturing defect, the bolt securing the brake pipe union may not have been tightened sufficiently,' the recall read.

SDC Images (24).png
Chery Omoda 5 and Volvo XC40 vehicles have been recalled. Image source: Chery Australia, Volvo Australia.

'This could cause the brake fluid to leak and result in reduced braking performance.'

'A reduction in braking performance could increase the risk of an accident resulting in serious injury or death to the vehicle occupants, pedestrians and other road users.'

Chery Australia has urged all Omoda 5 owners to immediately contact their nearest Chery dealership to arrange an inspection of the brake pipe union bolt.

If the defect is found, the necessary rectification will be carried out free of charge.

The Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) list can be found here.

Chery Motor Australia Customer Care Team can be reached by calling 1800 424 379, emailing [email protected], or their website.

Meanwhile, Volvo Australia has issued an urgent recall for 2,513 units of its 2023 Volvo XC40 model due to a software glitch that could potentially compromise the functionality of the vehicle's left indicator.

This recall is a precautionary measure to ensure the safety of Volvo drivers and other road users.

The software malfunction in question could cause the left turn indicator lamp to fail to illuminate as intended.

This could lead to a situation where other road users are unable to identify if the vehicle is turning, increasing the risk of accidents.

According to the recall notice lodged with the Department of Infrastructure, Transport, Regional Development, Communications and the Arts, if the malfunction occurs, a warning will appear in the instrument cluster to alert the driver that the indicator is not operational.

'The left indicator functionality can be reset by switching the indicator off and on again.'

However, this is a temporary solution and does not address the root cause of the problem.

A complete list of the VIN can be found can be found here.

To address the issue, Volvo Australia has developed a downloadable software update to rectify the problem.

The company has confirmed that vehicles running 'software version 2.13.3 or later' already have the fix installed.

Owners of the affected vehicles can download the update to fix the issue themselves.

This can be done by navigating to settings, system, and software updates on their vehicle centre touchscreen.

However, those who are unable to update the vehicle themselves were advised to contact Volvo Car Australia Customer Care Centre at 1300 787 802 or at [email protected] to book an appointment.

The vehicle will be updated at no cost to the owner.
Key Takeaways
  • Chery Australia recalled 5,901 of its Omoda 5 model due to a potentially deadly defect that could result in brake failure.
  • The recall affects Chery Omoda 5 SUVs sold in Australia since deliveries began in mid-2023.
  • The defect involves a bolt securing the brake pipe union that may not have been tightened sufficiently, causing a risk of brake fluid leaking and reduced braking performance.
  • Volvo Australia has also recalled 2,513 examples of its 2023 Volvo XC40 due to a software malfunction affecting the left turn indicators.
  • The issue may prevent the left indicators from illuminating but can be temporarily corrected by switching the indicator off and on again.
  • The issue poses a safety risk by potentially confusing other road users.
Are you, or anyone you know, affected by this recall? Let us know in the comments below!

Reactions: Ezzy
Sponsored
Can't anyone make a decent car anymore? And:

"To address the issue, Volvo Australia has developed a downloadable software update to rectify the problem.
The company has confirmed that vehicles running 'software version 2.13.3 or later' already have the fix installed" .

Or design a simple switch and a simple circuit for a simple light bulb in a simple left turn indicator? Ah, the wonders of modern technology!

Can't anyone make a decent car anymore? And:

"To address the issue, Volvo Australia has developed a downloadable software update to rectify the problem.
The company has confirmed that vehicles running 'software version 2.13.3 or later' already have the fix installed" .

Or design a simple switch and a simple circuit for a simple light bulb in a simple left turn indicator? Ah, the wonders of modern technology!
It used to be the law in Australia that all blinkers were a 21 watt 12 volt bulb [normal] and the [normal] blinker unit made the bulbs flash so many times a second... Now recently this law seems to be changed. as most new cars have LED blinkers and some do NOT flash but seem to run backwards or forwards etc.. plus they are now so hard to see in daylight as they seem to be less than 20mm wide and 100mm or more long. but because they are only 20mm wide or narrower they can be very difficult to see. Also.. everything in late model cars are electric or electronic , and all are connected to a computer which can be connected to a tool which lets mechanics change most things.. I can connect MY Hyundai to My Phone and wind down windows, unlock or lock the car etc... and turn many things on or off...Naturally I haven't used My phone to do any of these things as yet.... as I didn't need to do any of these things before.... 68autobug Bugbuyer

It used to be the law in Australia that all blinkers were a 21 watt 12 volt bulb [normal] and the [normal] blinker unit made the bulbs flash so many times a second... Now recently this law seems to be changed. as most new cars have LED blinkers and some do NOT flash but seem to run backwards or forwards etc.. plus they are now so hard to see in daylight as they seem to be less than 20mm wide and 100mm or more long. but because they are only 20mm wide or narrower they can be very difficult to see. Also.. everything in late model cars are electric or electronic , and all are connected to a computer which can be connected to a tool which lets mechanics change most things.. I can connect MY Hyundai to My Phone and wind down windows, unlock or lock the car etc... and turn many things on or off...Naturally I haven't used My phone to do any of these things as yet.... as I didn't need to do any of these things before.... 68autobug Bugbuyer
Yes; indicators now come with a clear glass cover, and use a yellow bulb or whatever passes for such, which is very hard to see in strong sunlight. Now here's a potential scam; somebody gets into your mobile phone and turns off your car or something...............or nicks it. I recall the good old days when everything was mechanical and I could fix it myself with an appropriate set of tools, from window-winders to big-ends to pistons and valves. And assorted stuff was interchangeable between different models of cars.

And at least if I wanted to nick your car I'd have to get into it (easy) and break the ignition lock to hot-wire it (also easy). Now when we have self-drive cars controlled by mobile phones it will be a hacker's dream.

Last edited: