Cheers to affordable experience: $95 Aussie whiskey goes toe-to-toe $1,200 competitor

In a world where the price tag often dictates expectations of quality, a remarkable story has emerged from the heart of Victoria.

This tale transcends mere competition, showcasing the strength and innovation within the craft distillery world. Its significance is magnified by the fact that it competes with much pricier whiskies.

The narrative of The Gospel's success has revealed how it stood toe-to-toe against towering giants through creativity and a passion for crafting whiskey in Australia.

The Gospel's Straight Rye Whiskey, a homegrown delight, has stunned enthusiasts and casual drinkers alike by securing the title of the second-best whiskey in the world at the prestigious 2024 International Wine & Spirits Competition (IWSC).

What's even more astonishing is that this $95 bottle stood shoulder to shoulder with the Thomas H. Handy Straight Rye Whiskey, a rare and luxurious spirit that commands a price of $1,200.

For those who appreciate a fine drop without the exorbitant cost, this news is as warming as a sip of the golden nectar itself.

unnamed (1).png
The Gospel's Straight Rye Whiskey won gold at the 2024 IWSC and became Australia's top-scoring whiskey for the second year in a row. Credit: The Gospel Whiskey

Straight Rye Whiskey ($95) didn't just win gold; it won the hearts of the judges with its 'divine' taste, described as 'long, sweet, and satisfying', with a 'hint of mint complementing indulgent chocolate tones'.

‘Perfumed and wonderfully peppery on the nose, full of pleasing, punchy rye spice aromas with deep liquorice tumbling through,’ the judges remarked.

‘Dry and remarkably layered, with well-defined flavours of cognac, green tea, and menthol adding complexity on the palate.’

Andrew Fitzgerald, co-founder of The Gospel, expressed immense pride in achieving the brand’s mission.

‘The Gospel Whiskey has one mission: to take the distinct taste of Mallee-grown rye to the world, and continued success like this on the world stage really helps to endorse that mission,’ he explained.

‘We've spent years defining The Gospel's unique style of whiskey to craft something distinctly Australian and expressive of the site we source the grain from.’

‘We're not aiming to taste like other whiskeys or fit in with the crowd—it's unique to us, and I think the judges at the IWSC appreciated its difference.’

The Gospel's success didn't stop with their Straight Rye Whiskey.

Its Legacy Rye and High Wheat Rye also impressed, with each taking home a silver medal.

The IWSC stands as one of the largest and most enduring spirits competitions globally, bringing together over 250 expert judges from around the world to evaluate and score over 4,100 entries from 98 countries.

The accolades received by The Gospel's Straight Rye Whiskey in Australia underscore its remarkable journey in the spirits industry.

As this premium whiskey garners attention for its quality and craftsmanship, it's intriguing to explore how such excellence can be accessible to a broader audience.

This notion is exemplified by ALDI's Winter Liquor Range, which featured award-winning spirits at budget-friendly prices.

The juxtaposition of luxury and affordability in the liquor market offers consumers diverse options without compromising on quality.
Key Takeaways
  • The Gospel's Straight Rye Whiskey, a Victorian whiskey, was named the best in Australia and the second-best in the world at the 2024 Wine & Spirits Competition (IWSC).
  • It shared second-place globally with Thomas H. Handy Straight Rye Whiskey, which sells for $1,200, compared to The Gospel's $95 price tag.
  • Judges described The Gospel's Straight Rye Whiskey as 'divine', with a complex palate featuring cognac, green tea, and menthol notes.
  • The distiller, The Gospel, aims to showcase the distinct taste of Mallee grown rye, with a focus on creating a uniquely Australian whiskey.
Have you tried The Gospel's Straight Rye Whiskey? Do you have another favourite Australian whiskey that you think deserves recognition? Share your thoughts and experiences in the comments below.

Reactions: Ezzy and NotNats
Sponsored
Why pay $1200 for a bottle of something you just look at? Bit of an expensive way to get drunk!

I have a mate in Bundaberg who has $10000s worth of rare Bundaberg Rum varieties with its own room and luxurious cabinets. Just sitting there, doing nothing! He even camps out overnight at the East Bundaberg Rum Distillery to ensure he gets his bottle(s) of limited edition of whatever!

I prefer Guiness; no accounting for taste.

A hint of mint,
With chocolate overtones;
And in the morning,
The headache's groans.
The Sun will rise,
And the Sun will set,
But a pint of Guinesss,
Is the healthy bet.

I recall my mother telling me that Guy's Hospital, London, used to issue half a pint of Guiness to some/all patients in the evening to help them relax and sleep better. I believe it was during the days when the NHS worked. A long time ago.

I wonder how long it's going to be $90 per bottle. now....I dont think the$1200 per bottle stuff will be reduced....but im pretty sure I know about where the $90 one is going

I prefer Guiness; no accounting for taste.

A hint of mint,
With chocolate overtones;
And in the morning,
The headache's groans.
The Sun will rise,
And the Sun will set,
But a pint of Guinesss,
Is the healthy bet.

I recall my mother telling me that Guy's Hospital, London, used to issue half a pint of Guiness to some/all patients in the evening to help them relax and sleep better. I believe it was during the days when the NHS worked. A long time ago.
I like that one! Never heard it before. 👍🏻