Check out these STUNNING summer looks made on a budget!

Ladies, are you still scrambling for stunner outfits to wear this summer? Well, we’ve got you covered!

With the help of very creative ladies who are big fans of budget buys, we’ve put together two show-stopping looks that won’t cost you an arm and a leg. In fact, both ensembles can be put together for less than $50!

Let’s start with our first outfit, an amazing creation by confessed fashion lover Selika Harris.

It’s a mini dress with a trim waist, covered with lemon print all over guaranteed to have eyes looking at you — it just screams ‘summer’!

The dress also has a square cut and puffed sleeves, which is perfect for those who want to show their shoulders off!

Now, for some weird reason, the lovely dress might seem oddly familiar to you… where have you seen it? Online? At the mall during one of your window shopping trips? Kmart?

35166072-8907093-image-a-2_1604357248891.jpg
Selika’s tea towel dress puts more expensive outfits to shame. Credit: Daily Mail

Well, Kmart indeed, because believe it or not, Selika made her dress entirely from $1.50 tea towels!

Amazing, right? The dress is made up of 20 lemon-print tea towels, which adds up to only $30. Not bad considering how much designer dresses cost!

After first giving the towels a quick wash, Selika stitched four tea towels together for the dress’ bodice.

She next worked on the sleeves with three towels each. Once the sleeves were good, she attached them to the bodice.

Selika then used the remaining towels for the dress’ front and back panels for the skirt. She also put a cut on the back panel for a zipper to be placed later on.

Some extra tulle and cotton were also added inside the skirt to add more volume.

Once the skirt was done, Selika then connected it to the finished bodice, placed a zipper along the back cut, and trimmed the skirt’s hem to her desired dress length.

35166062-8907093-Next_Selika_explained_that_she_added_some_tulle_and_cotton_under-a-8_16043600...jpg
Selika placed tulle in the skirt for more volume. Credit: Daily Mail

And there we go! Selika’s dress hack fit for sunshine.

'That lemon print made it into a totally summer vibe outfit, while the tulle and cotton made it puffier,' she said.

If you want a more concrete visual, we also found a video of her making a similar dress. Watch below!

Source: TikTok/@selika2904

Now, onto our next item from Louise!

Lousie was on the hunt for something to wear for Melbourne Cup, but like any frugal Aussie, she baulked at the thought of shelling out $50 (in this economy!) for a fascinator she’d likely wear only once.

So, thinking quickly on her feet, she set on to find a solution.

Using some feathers she had lying around, a $2 hair clip, a $2.50 piece of tulle, $10 fabric glue, and — the real star of this piece — a $1.75 black round placemat!

Once she had her $16 worth of materials ready, Louise went to work.

35176754-8908045-image-a-97_1604376884014.jpg
Louise held the black placemat in place with glue and clothes pegs. Credit: Daily Mail

She first folded the black round placemat to her desired shape and used fabric glue on spots she wanted to stick together. To keep the shape in place, she used clothes pegs.

Once dried, she arranged the black tulle and feathers, attached the hair clip on the now-finished fancy hat’s bottom… and voila! The resulting piece might as well have been a pricey $50 fascinator!

Key Takeaways

• Kmart is a great place to find cheap, last minute summer outfit options.
  • You can transform inexpensive Kmart buys into stunning looks with a little creativity.
  • If you're looking for a statement piece, consider making your own dress or fascinator using a tea towels, placemats and other budget items!
Like us, many online were amazed when Louise shared her creation.

One woman said: ‘I’d actually pay $50 for that.’

‘I saw this craze in Kmart groups last year. Yours looks awesome, nice job.’ another added.

Nice job is an understatement!

One of the best parts is that no one will have the same look as you – except, perhaps, Louise.

35176750-8908045-image-m-96_1604376872886.jpg
Good on Louise for making such a classy DIY fascinator. Credit: Daily Mail

Speaking of Kmart, if you have time, check out this mum’s $16 find that changed her living room wall and this mum’s amazing $12 Birkenstock hack!

What is your reaction to these budget looks offered by Selika and Louise? Do you see yourself making the dress and fascinator?

Tell us your thoughts and opinions below!

Sponsored
As an ex-dressmaker, I could always make a silk purse out of a pig's ear. I often made things from whatever I could get cheap. I am not tight just careful. I have made many pairs of trousers out of kimono lengths only 14inches wide, joined to make a normal width for the trousers. I would also buy odd ends & make colourful dresses from matching patterns or colours. I really miss not being able to do this now as a pensioner. ( arms don't work anymore so can't sit & use the machine like before.)

As an ex-dressmaker, I could always make a silk purse out of a pig's ear. I often made things from whatever I could get cheap. I am not tight just careful. I have made many pairs of trousers out of kimono lengths only 14inches wide, joined to make a normal width for the trousers. I would also buy odd ends & make colourful dresses from matching patterns or colours. I really miss not being able to do this now as a pensioner. ( arms don't work anymore so can't sit & use the machine like before.)
You were lucky to have the skill, my aunt was the same great skill...she made my and many others wedding dress, bridesmaids, debutante gowns...but in an old folks home now, she doesn't even play the piano anymore 😢

If you want a fascinator try going to Red Dot or a similar cheap shop. I did and got a red one for $10. In regular shops similar ones sell for $70 to $90. No need to be creative!!!

I have the artistic talent of a plank of wood! I look at these and other creations and just marvel at their ability to see something as something else entirely. To me a milk carton will always be just that, a milk carton!!:rolleyes:
And I have that of a splinter 🤣 soon as I touch something I break it!

Thanks all for your comments! Glad to see you share your experiences here 😊

I admire her creativity. I don't know much about styles but believe the dresses look very fashionable.

Years ago we took youth from a Church on vacation & one of the leaders made herself a pair of shorts from tea towels for fun. Looked great too.

The pink floral print dress and the hat are very attractive, while the lemon-printed dress does nothing for me and looks like it would be uncomfortable to wear. We don't all have the same tastes, fortunately. 10/10 for creativity though.

Reactions: Ezzy