Channel Nine sacks veteran journalist over mass layoffs and wage disputes

In a media landscape as unpredictable as the Melbourne weather, the latest shake-up at Channel Nine's Melbourne office has left viewers and industry insiders alike in shock.

Allan Raskall, a veteran journalist with a career spanning over a decade at the network, has parted ways amid a tumultuous period of mass sackings and wage disputes that have rocked the Australian media sector.

Raskall took to social media with a tongue-in-cheek post that left no doubt about his current employment status.

Dressed in a suit, the newsman held up a sign that read 'Work Wanted', captioning the image with a light-hearted nod to the freelancer's life and an open call for opportunities.

‘Such is (a freelancer's) life. Work wanted. Call me,’ the caption read.

Screenshot 2024-08-14 at 7.27.29 AM.png
Channel Nine veteran journalist Allan Raskall parted ways with the network over mass sackings and wage disputes. Credit: @AllanRaskall / Instagram

The departure of Raskall comes at a time when the media industry is grappling with significant economic challenges.

Inside sources revealed that his casual contract with Channel Nine would not be renewed, a decision that reflects the broader cost-cutting exercises the network is undertaking to salvage its financial health.

'I've freelanced for more than a decade at Nine, I guess during a cost of living crisis, even big business has to cut back on luxury items! Who knows what the future holds?’ Raskall told The Herald Sun.

A Nine spokesperson confirmed the news of Raskall's exit, attributing the tough decision to the ‘economic challenges facing the media sector’.

Despite the circumstances, the spokesperson emphasised that Raskall remains a 'much-loved member' of the Channel Nine family.

Raskall's career at Nine has been nothing short of illustrious, having started at the Sydney headquarters before moving to Darwin and eventually the Melbourne newsroom.

His return to freelancing preceded a six-year stint before he joined the 9News Melbourne team on a casual basis in October 2013.

Beyond his journalistic endeavours, Raskall is also set to make his on-stage debut in a guest role in Club Vegas, showcasing his versatility and passion for the arts.

The media sector's job losses have not spared even the most iconic figures, with broadcasting legend Liz Hayes also feeling the sting.

Hayes' true crime series, Under Investigation with Liz Hayes, is reportedly under review and facing the axe amid the network's widespread budget cuts and forced redundancies.

The decision has caused ripples of disbelief through Nine, especially given Hayes' recent Silver Logie nomination for her work on the series.

‘If that's what they feel comfortable doing to Liz Hayes' show, then nothing is out of bounds,’ one network insider shared.

'Liz is a Nine legend and the face of the network. To even consider killing off her show is just brutal—it means absolutely no one and nothing is safe.'

Nine's CEO, Mike Sneesby, has announced a $30 million cost-cutting plan that will see approximately 200 jobs affected across the network.

‘From our nationwide team of almost 5000 people, around 200 jobs are expected to be affected across Nine, including some vacant and casual roles not being filled,’ he said.

This announcement has been met with criticism, particularly in light of Sneesby's perceived extravagance, such as his trip to Paris to carry the Olympic torch and the luxurious accommodations for Nine's leadership team during the Games.

In a similar story, another veteran reporter launched legal Federal Court action against Seven Network after allegedly being illegally dismissed by the network.

The respected journalist received public support from colleagues as he entered the legal battle. You can read more about the story here.
Key Takeaways

• Veteran journalist Allan Raskall has parted ways with Channel Nine's Melbourne office amidst mass sackings and wage disputes.
  • Raskall's departure was confirmed by a Nine spokesperson who cited economic challenges in the media sector as the reason for pausing all casual contracts.
  • The journalist, known for his presence on Melbourne's social scene and television reporting, shared a light-hearted post on social media seeking work.
  • Amidst the network's cost-cutting measures, Channel Nine also faces scrutiny for discontinuing Liz Hayes' true crime series, sparking outrage and concerns over job security within the company.
How do you feel about the shifting tides in the media? Share your thoughts and insights in the comments below.

Sponsored
This is the result of people switching off Free-to-air television and paying for TV subscriptions to Netflix, YouTube etc. Advertisers are leaving in droves as viewing numbers drop and commercial TV stations can not afford decent programs or presenters any more. It is a very sad and depressing situation for both presenters and viewers.

With all the replays that are on every channel, is it any wonder people don't want to watch their programs. I will not pay to view any of the pay-to-view channels so just turn my TV off. Great way to save money on the cost of electricity to run the TV. Thanks Channels 9 & 7 for finding a way for me to save more money.

l watch the news on 7 because it covers Tasmania and 9 is more Melbourne news also ''Britains Got Talent'' although l must say BGT has got a bit silly and one of the male judges over the top but still has a few good acts on. l switch my smart tv onto Netflix and Stan and watch movies mostly.

Reactions: BeautifulMousey
With all the replays that are on every channel, is it any wonder people don't want to watch their programs. I will not pay to view any of the pay-to-view channels so just turn my TV off. Great way to save money on the cost of electricity to run the TV. Thanks Channels 9 & 7 for finding a way for me to save more money.
Allen was on the channel 9 news

This is the result of people switching off Free-to-air television and paying for TV subscriptions to Netflix, YouTube etc. Advertisers are leaving in droves as viewing numbers drop and commercial TV stations can not afford decent programs or presenters any more. It is a very sad and depressing situation for both presenters and viewers.
I wish I had seen the decent programmes in the first place. The rubbish they call television these days is appalling as is the sport and gambling adds