Channel 7 presenter Abbey Gelmi opens up about pregnancy struggle: ‘Terribly isolating’

In television and media, presenters often become familiar faces that we invite into our homes to share their triumphs and challenges.

Recently, Channel 7 sports presenter Abbey Gelmi has opened up about a deeply personal struggle, one that has resonated with many of her viewers and fans.

Gelmi, a beloved figure on Australian screens, has courageously revealed the health battle she's been facing during her second pregnancy.

Engaged to AFL star Kane Lambert, Gelmi has been noticeably absent from her roles with Channel 7 and iHeart Radio recently.

In her social media post, she shared the reason behind her absence, announcing 'Baby Lambert 2.0 coming '24' and detailing her struggle with Hyperemesis gravidarum (HG).

1_20240527_090532_0000.png
Channel 7 presenter Abbey Gelmi opened up about her personal struggle during her pregnancy. Credit: @abbeygelmi / Instagram

HG is a severe form of nausea and vomiting experienced during pregnancy, which can lead to weight loss and dehydration.

The NSW Health website noted that HG affects around one in 100 women, a statistic that underscores the rarity and severity of the condition.

'Pregnancy is such a sensitive subject, and my thoughts are with those struggling,' Gelmi wrote.

'However, I wanted to share our experience with Hyperemesis in the hope that those who endure it know they’re not alone.'

‘While we’re so grateful to be adding to our family, HG has been debilitating. I’ve been in hospital three days a week for most of the first trimester, unable to keep anything down or leave bed with relentless nausea.’

‘I’d get dizzy when I stood, couldn’t care for (firstborn) Louis, and my mental health took a dive.’

‘It can be terribly isolating, but there is help available, and Hyperemesis Australia is a great place to start.’

Yet, through it all, she has found solace in the support of her community, including fellow journalist Emma Vosti, kidswear brand founder Emma Hawkins, and her mother.

‘The stories of others like Emma Vosti and Emma Hawkins really helped me, and I hope I can do the same by sharing more when the time is right,’ Gelmi said.

‘We’re so grateful to our people, especially my mum, who has been Herculean.’

‘I’ve received wonderful care from our OB and the nurses at (Melbourne maternity hospital) Frances Perry House, where I’ve become part of the furniture.’

The response to Gelmi's revelation has been overwhelmingly supportive, with messages of love and solidarity pouring in from her followers.

‘Love you and so so proud of you. Wish it wasn’t like this for you, but so grateful to have been able to relate at a time you needed it most,’ Vosti wrote.

‘Incredible news mama, so so excited for you. Sending you lots of love. Sorry you’ve been so so unwell. Any two under two tips I am here for you,’ social media personality Lisa De Sanctis said.

‘I feel for you as I suffered from this for the entire nine months. It is so debilitating and lonely. Even though you are surrounded by a wonderful circle of family and friends. I wish you all the best and may you feel stronger each day. On the positive side, I was continuously told that my baby was strong and healthy,’ another commented.
Key Takeaways

• Channel 7 presenter Abbey Gelmi has shared her struggle with Hyperemesis Gravidarum during her second pregnancy.
  • Gelmi has been hospitalised three days a week due to severe nausea and has been absent from her Channel 7 and iHeart Radio duties.
  • Support from her mother, fellow journalists, and Hyperemesis Australia has been instrumental in her coping with the condition.
  • Despite her health battle, Gelmi is grateful for the support and care she's received, and she looks forward to returning to work and being a mum to two under two.
We at the Seniors Discount Club send our best wishes to Abbey Gelmi and her growing family, and we commend her for sharing her journey with grace and courage.

Have you or someone you know experienced having HG? How did you overcome this challenge? Share your stories with us in the comments below.

Sponsored
Can so relate, I had it in both my pregnancies - in the first I did not put on any extra weight and immediately after the birth, ended up weighing the same as before the pregnancy,
With the second pregnancy, I lost 5.5kg. During this time I was very weak and for 5 months my husband had to carry me from one room to another.
Surprisingly, both babies were born very healthy, weighing nearly 8kg each.

The worst part of HG is the lifetime problems created, such as:
GORD (Gastro-Oesophagul Reflux Disease) - a common condition of reflux, heartburn and nausea resulting in my oesophagul valve wearing away from the acidity. After 2 surgeries to rectify the problem, both only lasted one year each and no other cure is available.
Barret's Oesophugus - the lining of the oesophagus, becomes red and lumpy from acidity wearing it away. There is no cure and the problem can often be pre-cancerous.

For the love of children, the outcome of it all was still worth it!

Can so relate, I had it in both my pregnancies - in the first I did not put on any extra weight and immediately after the birth, ended up weighing the same as before the pregnancy,
With the second pregnancy, I lost 5.5kg. During this time I was very weak and for 5 months my husband had to carry me from one room to another.
Surprisingly, both babies were born very healthy, weighing nearly 8kg each.

The worst part of HG is the lifetime problems created, such as:
GORD (Gastro-Oesophagul Reflux Disease) - a common condition of reflux, heartburn and nausea resulting in my oesophagul valve wearing away from the acidity. After 2 surgeries to rectify the problem, both only lasted one year each and no other cure is available.
Barret's Oesophugus - the lining of the oesophagus, becomes red and lumpy from acidity wearing it away. There is no cure and the problem can often be pre-cancerous.

For the love of children, the outcome of it all was still worth it!
Thankyou for sharing your story it was very moving.😍