Centrelink warns customers about new 'bonus payment' scheme

In today's digital age, where convenience and speed often take precedence, it's easy to get caught up in the excitement of unexpected windfalls.

However, it's crucial to stay vigilant, especially regarding offers that seem too good to be true.

This cannot be stressed enough, particularly in light of a recent scam targeting Centrelink customers with a tempting lure that may cause distress.

Services Australia issued an urgent warning about a scam circulating that promised customers an $1800 'Centrelink' payment.

'They may encourage you to read about a new "one-off" or "bonus" payment by clicking a link,' Services Australia said.

This scam has been available through 'unofficial websites' that disseminate false information about a supposed bonus payment for Age Pension recipients.

centrelink.jpeg
Centrelink warned users about a new scam making rounds. Image Credit: Shutterstock/Rose Marinelli

The scam may include the phrase: '$1800 extra Australia pension coming', followed by prompts such as 'Who is eligible?' and 'Fact check about payment dates'.

Customers are enticed to open the scam link to 'check their eligibility'; however, the too-good-to-be-true payment does not exist.

'Only trust http://servicesaustralia.gov.au and http://my.gov.au for official information about our payments,' the agency reiterated.

Unfortunately, some believed these links were genuine and fell for the scam.

This is why it's imperative to double-check the sources of such information.

'If the website URL doesn't end in ".gov.au", it is not an official government website,' Services Australia stated.

'We will always let you know when there are changes to any of our payments or services. We'll let you know on our official website and social media channels.'

Scams impersonating Services Australia representatives are also on the rise, as scammers pretend to be employees from myGov and Medicare.

It's a reminder to all of us to be cautious about where we get our information and to be sceptical of any offers that come our way.

The statistics from Scamwatch were sobering—Australians have already lost $92 million to scams within the first five months of the year.

In 2023, Aussies lost a staggering $2.74 billion to scams alone.

These numbers are not just figures; they represent the hard-earned money of individuals, many of whom cannot afford such losses.

We urge everyone to exercise caution and educate themselves about these scams.

Always verify the source of any emails or notifications regarding payments.

Do not click on unauthorised links or provide personal information unless you are certain of the legitimacy of the request.

You can contact Services Australia for confirmation if you encounter suspicious activity or are unsure about the authenticity of a Centrelink message.

You can also get warnings about the latest scams at the SDC Forum's Scam Watch section.
Key Takeaways

• Services Australia issued a warning about a scam involving a fake $1800 Centrelink payment bonus for Age Pension recipients.
  • The scam involves misleading information shared on unofficial websites, enticing members to click on a link.
  • Services Australia urged people to only trust official websites ending in .gov.au for accurate information about payments and services.
  • In 2024, Scamwatch reported a loss of about $92 million to scams, with a total loss of $2.74 billion in the previous year.
Have you received this dubious message about a bonus payment? We invite you to share your experiences and tips on staying safe from scams in the comments below.

Sponsored
I have also come across a $750 one off payment for hardship/cost of living that appears on a website but it related back to 2020-2021 COVID payment.

It is definitely not listed under MyGov Centrelink.

Once again!
if anyone falls for this then they a bloody fools and deserve to lose every cent they have!

Reactions: Scaveola
I have also come across a $750 one off payment for hardship/cost of living that appears on a website but it related back to 2020-2021 COVID payment.

It is definitely not listed under MyGov Centrelink.
Yeah we have to be so care full these days, scams are everywhere on the internet even see them coming up on youtude adds

Reactions: bluetang
Here’s another one…
You get an email saying; “myGov.au wants you to update your password“ it looks so real, but probably a scam.
They are so clever...
The scammer’s email address looks so much like the legitimate myGov email address.
I didn’t reply to the email, didn’t click on any links and didn’t phone any numbers.
I blocked the sender & trashed it.
Then I went to the myGov app & logged in and there were no messages in my mailbox - asking me to change my password.
If it was legitimate, why wouldn't there be a message in my inbox - reiterating that I should change my password???
Bloody scammers…

Last edited:
I wouldn't say that .... the scammers can be so convincing after all that's there full time job and that's how they live scamming money out of those that are not so savvy on the net
They only have to catch the odd one out to have a good day
Yeah, I agree it sounds a bit harsh to say one deserves to lose all their money just for clicking on a link.

Although if one lost a staggering amount of money, it was probably greed that separated the fool from his money. If it was desperation that compelled someone to click on the link, they wouldn't have lost much money as none there in the first place.

$2.7Billion scammed in a year, that must mean there's truck loads of odd ones around the traps. Plenty of grubs having many good days as well.

Just guessing. I think most that lose out are just vulnerable people not familiar with the actions of the bottom feeders of society who grub around in the dirt collecting shekels dropped by a blind man and scurrying off into the nether with their ill-gotten gains. Probably not supposed to say it these day, but you'd like to get a hold of them, just to see the smirks disappear off their faces.

Excellent reason to put a non-staffed non-built prison on Heard Island.

Yair, surely the absence of ".gov.au" in the From line should ring a warning bell, or are those who fall for this lurk deaf and dumb as well as stupid? Don't answer that ...

Last edited: