Centrelink recipients begging for ’real’ relief - see why living off this income is nearly impossible

The high cost of living is a harsh reality for those who live on a fixed fortnightly income.

In a previous report, the recent increase in Centrelink payments was discussed. While some pensioners welcomed this boost, many still find it challenging to make ends meet. The increase in payments has not kept up with the pace of inflation, leaving some pensioners in a tight financial situation.

This month, indexation will see the JobSeeker payment increase by $1.77 per day, but for many people – including 63-year-old Victorian Cliff Fraser – this won’t be enough.

Cliff, who lives north of Bridgewater, Victoria, has been receiving a fortnightly JobSeeker payment of around $560 since he lost his part-time job several weeks ago.

He has had an extensive work history, having held various roles such as a computer technician, pilot, cleaner, hospital orderly, and truck driver. However, his life took a turn in 2011 when he suffered a heart attack.

sydney-nsw-australia-june-14-260nw-1992002486.jpg copy.png
Jobseeker recipients are calling on Centrelink to provide ‘real boosts’ on their payments. Credit: Shutterstock.

Despite his experience in juggling different roles, Cliff is now struggling to make ends meet. As someone with a fixed income, it's clear that the payment is a lifeline for him, but unfortunately, it's too flimsy to provide him with a comfortable life.

Living about 40km away from Bendigo also means Cliff has to keep tabs on how much he spends on fuel whenever he needs to drive into town.

With rent in Bendigo far too expensive to consider, Cliff and his wife Anne (who receives the pension) can't even afford small pleasures.

Cliff said: ‘It is survival rates and that is all.’

‘We can't afford to run into town just because we're short of milk.’

Calls for the ‘real’ increase

For those on JobSeeker, monthly payments averaging around $50 a day remain woefully inadequate to cover even the most basic cost of living expenses.

With recent cost-of-living expenses skyrocketing, JobSeeker recipients are pleading for a ‘real’ increase to income support.

The Australian Council of Social Service (ACOSS) is now calling for the JobSeeker payment to be raised from around $50 a day to $73, which would align with the pension.

According to the group, the current system, which calculates payments based on the Consumer Price Index (CPI), needs to recognise the impact of deregulation and stagnant wage growth on income support payments.

Acting CEO Edwina MacDonald has spoken out about the harrowing stories of Jobseekers struggling to make ends meet - stories of regularly skipping mealtimes, going without essential medicines and struggling to pay the rent.

'It’s just not acceptable for us in a country like Australia to have a system that’s really forcing people further into poverty,' MacDonald said.

According to MacDonald, the situation has only worsened in the past year, with rent rising by 10 per cent and food and electricity bills increasing by 9 per cent.

More people are pleading for aid

Catherine Byrne, who works at Uniting Vic.Tas in Wodonga as the emergency relief coordinator, said that she had seen a startling 72 per cent increase in people demanding the organisation’s services this February.

These services include food, material aid, and financial counselling, all of which have become extremely important to the people she helps.

The people Byrne speaks to are understandably anxious and upset that the interest rates have been raised again, which unsurprisingly is being passed on from landlords to tenants and pushes people into housing stress.

'We try to stream them into financial counselling and those services to find any savings they may have,' Ms Byrne said.

And yet, no matter how talented people are at budgeting - it does not matter if there just is not enough money to go around.

According to Byrne, the current $2 per week increase to JobSeeker will not buy much.

'What is $2 going to buy you?' she questioned.

Key Takeaways
  • Many people who live on a fixed fortnightly income struggle to make ends meet, with the recent JobSeeker increase not enough to keep pace with inflation.
  • 63-year-old Victorian Cliff Fraser is one such person, receiving a fortnightly JobSeeker payment of $560.
  • The Australian Council of Social Services has called for the JobSeeker payment to be raised to $73 per day to bring it in line with the pension.
  • Emergency relief coordinator Catherine Byrne has seen a 72% increase in people seeking services, highlighting the need for more financial support for those on JobSeeker.

It’s an incredibly daunting reality, and one we shouldn’t be facing in a country like Australia. Proper support should be available for those who need it.

Members, if you’re struggling with a fixed income, please reach out for help. A financial counsellor can help you manage your money more effectively and take some of the burdens off your shoulders.

What are your thoughts on this? Better yet, can you relate to Cliff’s situation? Share your stories with us in the comments below.

Sponsored
Update. For all that have chosen to have a go, I did state not everyone will agree. It is the system which is broken, not me. For those that have long term illness/disability that will forever prohibit them from working, the govt needs to change the rules around dsp & leave job seeker for the purpose it was originally intended. Toomany on job seeker due to lack of any options besides jobseeker or pension!

Sorry, but job seekers is not meant to be a payment you can comfortably live on. It's an emergency 'get by' payment & this article states its supporting necessities, but nothing left over for enjoyment. Some may disagree, but in my view it's done it's job at it's current level!

Last edited:
Many many people are in this situation.

I worked fulltime for many years and never ever thought I would be on centrelink.
Even when all my kids were young and we could have actually got more on centrelink I chose to work

But my how things can change . When you go in for a simple operation only to come out worst and far worst than before because of a negligent surgeon causing alot of pain and chronic infection for 2 years as well as anxiety and depression.

Needing to go on jobsearch was something I never ever thought I would do but here I am on it and needing to hand in a medical certificate every 3 months.

For those who say people chose this life, then think again. I struggle to mange on it.

Hubby doesn't work due to illness and now looking after me , he has never received a payment from centrelink at all

So we live on $600 a fortnight. We are blessed that we own our house and a couple of our kids pay our electricity and water bills.

But we are better off than some.

I've now applied for DSP and hubby will apply for careers but what I'm hearing I m not sure I will get it, even with many doctors and psychologists reports.

For those who criticises jobseeker recipients please don't as no one can survive on these measly payments and if I could go back to work I would jump at it

Sorry, but job seekers is not meant to be a payment you can comfortably live on. It's an emergency 'get by' payment & this article states its supporting necessities, but nothing left over for enjoyment. Some may disagree, but in my view it's done it's job at it's current level!
I hope you don't need to be on it due to illness .

I don't think the article talked about luxuries it talked about necessities

if you want help, first I would say get off your backside. AND do not smoke anything or drink alcohol. Tough, yes, and time for some wake-up calls. What time do these ones complaining get out of bed? do they do any community work? I guess not, just sit around and moan. I will grant not all but the majority yes!

The high cost of living is a harsh reality for those who live on a fixed fortnightly income.

In a previous report, the recent increase in Centrelink payments was discussed. While some pensioners welcomed this boost, many still find it challenging to make ends meet. The increase in payments has not kept up with the pace of inflation, leaving some pensioners in a tight financial situation.

This month, indexation will see the JobSeeker payment increase by $1.77 per day, but for many people – including 63-year-old Victorian Cliff Fraser – this won’t be enough.

Cliff, who lives north of Bridgewater, Victoria, has been receiving a fortnightly JobSeeker payment of around $560 since he lost his part-time job several weeks ago.

He has had an extensive work history, having held various roles such as a computer technician, pilot, cleaner, hospital orderly, and truck driver. However, his life took a turn in 2011 when he suffered a heart attack.

View attachment 15209
Jobseeker recipients are calling on Centrelink to provide ‘real boosts’ on their payments. Credit: Shutterstock.

Despite his experience in juggling different roles, Cliff is now struggling to make ends meet. As someone with a fixed income, it's clear that the payment is a lifeline for him, but unfortunately, it's too flimsy to provide him with a comfortable life.

Living about 40km away from Bendigo also means Cliff has to keep tabs on how much he spends on fuel whenever he needs to drive into town.

With rent in Bendigo far too expensive to consider, Cliff and his wife Anne (who receives the pension) can't even afford small pleasures.

For those on JobSeeker, monthly payments averaging around $50 a day remain woefully inadequate to cover even the most basic cost of living expenses.

With recent cost-of-living expenses skyrocketing, JobSeeker recipients are pleading for a ‘real’ increase to income support.

The Australian Council of Social Service (ACOSS) is now calling for the JobSeeker payment to be raised from around $50 a day to $73, which would align with the pension.

According to the group, the current system, which calculates payments based on the Consumer Price Index (CPI), needs to recognise the impact of deregulation and stagnant wage growth on income support payments.

Acting CEO Edwina MacDonald has spoken out about the harrowing stories of Jobseekers struggling to make ends meet - stories of regularly skipping mealtimes, going without essential medicines and struggling to pay the rent.

'It’s just not acceptable for us in a country like Australia to have a system that’s really forcing people further into poverty,' MacDonald said.

According to MacDonald, the situation has only worsened in the past year, with rent rising by 10 per cent and food and electricity bills increasing by 9 per cent.

Catherine Byrne, who works at Uniting Vic.Tas in Wodonga as the emergency relief coordinator, said that she had seen a startling 72 per cent increase in people demanding the organisation’s services this February.

These services include food, material aid, and financial counselling, all of which have become extremely important to the people she helps.

The people Byrne speaks to are understandably anxious and upset that the interest rates have been raised again, which unsurprisingly is being passed on from landlords to tenants and pushes people into housing stress.

'We try to stream them into financial counselling and those services to find any savings they may have,' Ms Byrne said.

And yet, no matter how talented people are at budgeting - it does not matter if there just is not enough money to go around.

According to Byrne, the current $2 per week increase to JobSeeker will not buy much.

Key Takeaways

• Many people who live on a fixed fortnightly income struggle to make ends meet, with the recent JobSeeker increase not enough to keep pace with inflation.
  • 63-year-old Victorian Cliff Fraser is one such person, receiving a fortnightly JobSeeker payment of $560.
  • The Australian Council of Social Services has called for the JobSeeker payment to be raised to $73 per day to bring it in line with the pension.
  • Emergency relief coordinator Catherine Byrne has seen a 72% increase in people seeking services, highlighting the need for more financial support for those on JobSeeker.

It’s an incredibly daunting reality, and one we shouldn’t be facing in a country like Australia. Proper support should be available for those who need it.

Members, if you’re struggling with a fixed income, please reach out for help. A financial counsellor can help you manage your money more effectively and take some of the burdens off your shoulders.

What are your thoughts on this? Better yet, can you relate to Cliff’s situation? Share your stories with us in the comments below.
Hey ....jobseekers...good health ....PLENTY JOBS IN OUR LOCAL PAPERS.....YOU NAME IT...IT IS THERE....PENSIONERS ARE IN SAME BOAT.....SURE🤨

I feel sorry for anyone on unemployment payments. It's certainly not a lifestyle choice, and a situation I would hate to find myself in. I'm not sure I understand the Govts rationale that an unemployed person needs less that a single pensioner to live on. Pensioners do it tough, the unemployed have no hope. :(

If job seeker payments were raised to pension payments, then pension payments would necessarily need to increase even more. Job seeker payments are designed for the short term, to cover the period between jobs. The pension payments are higher to reflect the fact that people are on these payments long term. That may not seem fair, but I suspect Centrelink's rationale is that the higher the job seeker payment, the less incentive there is to find a paying job.

We have to pay as well ..yes we get some cheaper things not that many of you think........job seekers buy some glasses read the local papers....then ring up OR OUT ON YOUR MARCHING SHOES...AND GET A JOB.....YOU CAN EVEN GET A 2ND JOB...WHEN SUITS THE TIMES YOU WORK...
FOR HEAVENS SAKE THE SO CALLED MIGRANTS AND 300.000 COMING ....BLAME GOVT.....THEN LOT OF JOBS SHALL GO ...BECAUSE THESE PEOPLE COME FROM POOR COUNTRIES....
GUESS WHAT.!!!!....THEY WILL RUN TO GET JOBS....YOU LOT HAPPY KEEP AUSTRALIA...WHO RECKON THEY CANT FIND A JOB.....BUY A BIG BOX OF TISSUES...AND KEEP WIPING YOUR MOUTH....WITH ALL THE ...C**P COMING OUT

If job seeker payments were raised to pension payments, then pension payments would necessarily need to increase even more. Job seeker payments are designed for the short term, to cover the period between jobs. The pension payments are higher to reflect the fact that people are on these payments long term. That may not seem fair, but I suspect Centrelink's rationale is that the higher the job seeker payment, the less incentive there is to find a paying job.
There are myriad reasons why someone might find themselves on jobseeker (which is a misnomer). Not everyone is "between jobs". Some are unable to work for medical reasons but they don't fit any of the other boxes in Centrelink's arsenal. It's a catch all category for unemployed and a goodly number of them would rather not be in the situation they find themselves.
I'm not sure I understand your argument about the amounts of payments, if it's good enough for a single pensioner it should be good enough for a single unemployed person surely, regardless of the amount of time it's required.

The jobseeker payment is not even supporting necessities for a lot of people. People renting have very little left after rent is paid due to the cost of renting being so high. Medication costs a lot as quite a range of tablets required are not covered by the health care card. We are pensioners and our monthly medication bill is well over $100 as not all is available at $7.30 scripts. One tablet my husband needs costs $45 a month as it is not even on the PBS listing. Then there is every other basic necessity to pay for if you have any money left. I know people who go without medication and/or food all the time just so they can keep a roof over their heads. Even if you can’t work due to illness or injury and you are not pension age you have to go on jobseeker, it is extremely hard to get a disability pension, my sister has a work injury and struggles with mobility and looking after herself but is on jobseeker having been knocked back for a disability pension many times. Leaving people on jobseeker costs the government a lot less than the disability pension would so I’m guessing that’s why Centrelink do it.

I live in the outback in a little town called Koorda.
I am 65 years old and husband is 81 years old.
I don't drive have no car license and have no car
When jobs are available they go to families or back packers.
We also have no local transport
We both receive separate benefits The money that we receive
is gone in the first week and we have nothing for the second week'
the people on centrelink are finding it hard
to make ends meet

this also includes the old people who are on benefits
The money for both should be between 40.00 to 50.00 to make
ends meet

I am struggling a lot as I was told not to come back to work until I fix me knee this was 3 yrs ago they ended up sacking me as I couldnt do my job I get jobseeker $734 a fortnight and I still pay a mortgage of $664 a fortnight so it leaves me $70 to live on I also live by myself . .I had a small super which I had to get some things for me as I cant walk very well at all. Now I have applied for a pension the 1st time I got declined in 2020. I have now applied again its been nearly 3 months as I have 2 bad knees kidneys are failing chronic back pain ,also a lot more things .I have trouble eating never mind the house insurance, car insurance , fuel for car I had to sell my near new car for a much cheaper 1 so I could survive ,I have also contemplated ending my life but the help from a social worker and the resource centre here in waroona w.a. waroona resorce centre has been a god send for me they are always there for me . I cant sell my house as I would have no were to go and it is a old house but its mine.

Disability pension plus NDIS plus owning your own home is more than enough to live on. A person I know is in the equivalent of this situation and has a high five figure bank account. The person does not smoke or drink and is passionate about a few things and spends money on their hobbies and has money left over at the end of each fortnight.

I am a self funded retiree (been retired almost 20 years) and own my own home and have been debt free for maybe 30 years. I am not stressed by the cost of living.

Do you think you could live on this payment after a heart attack? I think not - walk in someone's shoes before you judge!!!!!Our wonderful parliamentarians see fit to throw our money around to all overseas country's except our own country- we are the people that make this money possible so it rightfully belongs to the people after expenses.
Australians are important people -wish those jackasses in parliament realized that especially a heart attack victim.

View attachment 15209

Key Takeaways

Im in that same position after a 5 tonne truck wiped me out over 5 years ago and I ended up with numorous injuries.
Unless you are granted Disability Pension , which is nigh impossible, the only option is for government to put this category of Job Seaker as sickness benefit was scrapped.
It is nowhere near enough to live on, my rent is $680 per fortnight leaving me $42 a fortnight for everything else . You people slagging people off need to have a good hard look at themselves as this is more than dire poverty its inhumane to live like this.

Disability pension plus NDIS plus owning your own home is more than enough to live on. A person I know is in the equivalent of this situation and has a high five figure bank account. The person does not smoke or drink and is passionate about a few things and spends money on their hobbies and has money left over at the end of each fortnight.

I am a self funded retiree (been retired almost 20 years) and own my own home and have been debt free for maybe 30 years. I am not stressed by the cost of living.
Well done.

Reactions: Ricci
I feel that all of you people who say get a job have never been out of work or are very wealthy
I was on sickness benefits after experiencing ovarian then breast cancer, yes I did have a job but was found reduntant.
Here I was a single woman no savings to speak of some would say she should have income protection, but it only lasted 7 years, so I sold my house and moved toTasmania where people actually care for each other.