Celebrity chef Jamie Oliver shares different shades of gravy, proving that YOUR PERFECT GRAVY varies depending on your taste

Celebrity chef Jamie Oliver shares different shades of gravy, proving that YOUR PERFECT GRAVY varies depending on your taste
I'm sure most of us here at the SDC are on the lookout for tips for serving the perfect feast for the upcoming holidays.

Tiny details — including side dishes such as crispy roast potatoes and gravy — can make or break your holiday celebrations.

However, "perfect" is subjective to one's perception. This is why celebrity chef Jamie Oliver shared a chart to show how gravy can vary wildly depending on one's taste.

The celebrity chef took to Instagram to share a photo of the 12 shades of gravy that people enjoy across the globe.

Each of the 12 gravy boats carries its own code, with A1 being the lightest and D3 the darkest.

Credit: Instagram/@jamieoliver

Gravy lovers had a debate on which hue signified the best gravy in the comments section of the post, to which many agreed that the best variety is the mid-brown gravy or B3 shade.

Jamie Oliver suggested that it is best to prepare the perfect gravy ahead of the festivities, saying that making them early can save time and stress on the big day.

The celebrity chef also promoted his upcoming video #GetAheadGravyDay, writing: 'Which gravy? Get involved on Saturday 11 December THIS weekend!!"

"We'll all get cooking up the most delicious gravy that you just pop in the freezer to enjoy later on Christmas day."

l6EP76SEHZy9uXPyx4H5ZI3AhFbNYmf6kfLZdiR4veoxUfozkUMiXav0PlaPJ9xfJoIg1pZJ_YrVUqeQSr-MtVi6Pwxo7LHIwtKKwK2QCtq3jBZdFw_1nczom_Wy3_-uPxW3cKI

The celebrity chef promoted his upcoming video #GetAheadGravyDay along with the gravy chart, inviting his followers to join him in making the perfect Christmas gravy this Saturday, December 11. Credit: Ken McKey/ITV/REX.

Jamie Oliver wrote on his website that home cooks should not underestimate how much this traditional sauce can make or break a Christmas dinner.

His post read: 'Good gravy has the power to transform, or even save, a meal. This year, open your mind to a slightly radical idea: make your gravy a few days, or even weeks in advance, simply reheating it in your turkey tray on the big day. Stress saved.'

He also advised that defrosting a gravy that you've properly made ahead of time will taste better compared to the sauce you whip up a few hours or minutes before dinner. Adding juices from the turkey tray can also enhance its flavour on Christmas Day.

75oOZVVn4dPf4siJyyCgzUvZB0JPhmLhIkXTLZX8QKfrtskzGNcPjndvz7pPMJZamjhn-o1VQmK7LR7bVhRbf4JR_ikYWKb3jHM0RRwp7nVp5zWKnKWTM7mRUZHavPmWikHynzo

Jamie Oliver said that the gravy can make or break Christmas dinners. Credit: Getty Images.

Here are some of the #GetAheadGravyDay videos that the celebrity chef posted through the years:

2014 #GetAheadGravyDay recipe

2019 Meat and Vegan Gravy recipe

Do you know of any top-notch gravy recipes? Share them with us in the comments below so other members of the SDC can make them too!

Sponsored
I have never made or eaten gravy. It always carried memories of the cooked to death stews of my childhood!!! Gravy was always used to cover a multitude of sins!!

Going myself with C2! My dad used to make the best gravies ever. He always used the roasting pan with the juices of the meat retained. He added flour & a small amount of water, cooking it over medium heat until flour cooked & all the juices & crunchy meat bits gathered up. Dad then added two beef oxo cubes melted in a jug of hot water. This was added to the pan gradually to monitor thickening of gravy. Taste test for flavour, add salt & pepper as required! My brother & I would take turns mopping up the pan with a “doorstep” of bread! We loved Sunday’s!!

Reactions: Phyll