Celebrating the legacy of prolific entertainers Dame Maggie Smith (89) and Drake Hogestyn (70)

The entertainment industry lost two shining figures over the weekend.

One kept generations entertained by wearing multiple hats in theatre and on stage.

Meanwhile, the other was a mainstay in one of the longest-airing series in TV history.

British actress Dame Maggie Smith left an indelible mark on the world of theatre, film, and television.

Her passing at the age of 89 prompted a wave of tributes from colleagues and fans all over the world.

Described by Simon Callow as 'the complete actor', Dame Maggie Smith's talents made her a household name, with a career that spanned over six decades.

compressed-maggie smith.jpeg
Dame Maggie Smith and her signature red head in 1978's California Suite. Image Credit: IMDb

Born in Ilford, she began her journey in the limelight with performances that would see her ascend to the pinnacle of acting royalty.

Her early days in cabaret and revue were a prelude to a storied career that would take her to The Old Vic and the National Theatre.

Under the leadership of Sir Laurence Olivier and the literary guidance of Sir Kenneth Tynan, Dame Maggie Smith cemented her status as a theatrical star.

The 1960s heralded a golden era for Dame Smith.

Her portrayal of Desdemona in Othello was a testament to this.

Sir Kenneth Tynan praised her for standing tall and dignified in the face of Othello's public humiliation.

It was not a typical portrayal of a damsel; instead, Dame Smith turned Desdemona into a figure of quiet strength and loyalty.

Playwright John Mortimer recognised her ability to subdue her natural mannerisms, which made her portrayal of Desdemona' simple and direct'.

Among her iconic roles were in Strindberg's Miss Julie opposite Albert Finney, which showcased her versatility and command of the stage.

Her talent was not confined to the theatre, as she also captivated audiences in film and television.

Dame Smith played the titular character in the 1969 adaptation of Muriel Spark's The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie.

She also touched on different generations thanks to her recent significant roles in Downton Abbey and the Harry Potter franchise.

Dame Smith's approach to her craft was one of fearless diversity.

'I just want to go on and on. I don't see myself doing only serious parts. That would be mad. I want to keep myself varied,' she shared in an interview dated back in 1966.

Her balancing of grand roles with fun was evident in her performances, which defied expectations and captured the hearts of both critics and the general public.

Dame Smith's personal life was as rich as her professional one.

She married Robert Stephens and had two sons—Chris Larkin and Toby Stephens—both of whom inherited their mother's acting prowess.

Her memorable stage partnership with Stephens shone through in Franco Zeffirelli's production of Much Ado About Nothing back in 1967.

Watch Dame Smith's performance here:

Source: Shakespeare Network/YouTube

This adaptation received both critical acclaim and public adoration.

Dame Smith's performances kept audience members enthralled by her ability to breathe new life into fiction.

She was an actor who kept evolving and enchanted audiences with her remarkable range and emotional intelligence.

On the other side of the globe, actor Drake Hogestyn passed away.

He succumbed to pancreatic cancer at 70 years old.

His family's announcement on Saturday left fans and colleagues grappling with the loss of a television mainstay whose career spanned nearly four decades.

Hogestyn's acting journey began with his 1982 silver screen debut in Seven Brides for Seven Brothers.

His talent and charisma quickly caught the attention of casting directors.

This led to his appearances in Beverly Hills Cowboy Blues, One Stormy Night, and a guest spot on the hit series Criminal Minds.

However, Hogestyn's role as John Black on Days of Our Lives cemented his status as a daytime television legend.

Since joining the soap opera's cast in 1986, his character became a cornerstone of the show.

Apart from playing John Black, he also played Pawn Sean and Roman Brady in the same series, further demonstrating his versatility in the series.

compressed-drake hogestyn.jpeg
Drake Hogestyn with his on-screen partner and colleague Deidre Hall. Image Credit: People

His on-screen chemistry with co-star Deidre Hall earned them the title of a daytime soap opera 'super-couple', a testament to their performances and their enduring appeal.

Hogestyn's passing prompted an outpouring of tributes from those who knew him best.

Actor Christopher Seans expressed his deep affection and gratitude towards his on-screen father.

'You were more than just my TV father; in my eyes, you were my dad. Thank you for everything you taught me and the love you gave me,' Seans wrote in a tribute.

'The world lost a true Hero. I miss and love you so much, Drake. Rest in Peace, Dad.'

Alison Sweeney, who played Sami Brady in the long-running series, remembered him as an 'incredible man' who was passionate about his craft.

'My heart breaks for his family. They meant everything to him. He was such a huge part of my life at Days. I will miss him terribly and treasure every story, every joke & every hug,' Sweeney wrote on social media.

Watch Drake Hogestyn and Deidre Hall's interview here:

Source: Days of Our Lives/ YouTube

Australian actor and Days of Our Lives alum Thaao Penghlis shared a touching tribute about Hogestyn.

'Great stories were told. To his family, to Deidre and Days, I am so sorry for your great loss. We will remember him well even though our hearts bleed,' Penghlis wrote.

'Drake, thank you, and may this next journey be one of great enlightenment.'

Key Takeaways

• Acclaimed actor Dame Maggie Smith passed away at 89.
  • Her diverse career spanned stage, film, and television, which made her famous across multiple generations.
  • She was celebrated for her dramatic performances at The Old Vic and the National Theatre.
  • Smith's work defied critics' expectations and maintained a desire to balance comical and serious roles throughout her career.
  • Actor Drake Hogestyn, who played John Black on Days of Our Lives, died at 70 after battling pancreatic cancer.
  • His family wrote a statement which expressed their sorrow and highlighted Hogestyn's strength and determination in facing his illness.
  • Tributes poured in from his co-stars and members of the soap opera community, attesting to the impact he had on those around him.
  • Drake Hogestyn's career spanned almost four decades and became a mainstay on Days of Our Lives with his on-screen partner, Deidre Hall.
If you stumbled upon Dame Maggie Smith or Drake Hogestyn's works, let us remember their talents and passion for the entertainment scene.

May they rest in peace.

Sponsored