Care worker guilty of performing sex act with elderly man with dementia

Content Warning: This article mentions distressing topics, such as sexual abuse, which may be distressing to some readers. Discretion is advised.

The safety and dignity of our elderly loved ones are paramount, especially when they are placed in the care of aged care facilities that we trust to provide the utmost care and respect.

However, a recent incident in Perth has shaken this trust to its core, revealing a harrowing breach of duty that has left many in our community outraged and deeply concerned.

James Ng'Ang'A Irungu, an aged care worker in Perth, was sentenced to two years in prison after pleading guilty to three counts of indecently dealing with an incapable person.

The court heard how Irungu forced an elderly man at the home to perform a sex act, a despicable act of abuse against a vulnerable individual who was unable to defend himself.

2148740011.jpg
James Ng'Ang'A Irungu was guilty of three counts of indecently dealing with an incapable person. Credit: Freepik

The WA District Court heard that the victim, who had dementia and Parkinson's Disease, was unable to control the shaking in his arms and hands.

Irungu placed the man’s hand on his genitals, even inside his trousers, and then moved them back when the victim tried to pull away.

The incidents were captured on CCTV and reported by the victim's daughter.

Irungu, a student from Kenya who arrived in 2023, expressed a ‘deep feeling of shame’. According to his lawyer Tony Hager, Irungu had ‘repressed his sexuality’ and struggled with financial stress since arriving in Australia.

Judge Alan Sefton, who presided over the case, emphasised that Irungu's actions had the ‘real potential’ to undermine trust in staff at the care facility, where vulnerable individuals require significant care and protection from such misconduct.

‘You selfishly betrayed that trust,’ he told Irungu. ‘You were in a position of care.’

The judge stressed the need for both personal and general deterrence, imposing sentences totalling 24 months, with eligibility for parole, his visa ‘likely to be cancelled’ and to be deported.

The court was also informed that the 83-year-old victim had recently passed away, and no victim impact statement was submitted.
Key Takeaways
  • James Ng'Ang'A Irungu, an aged care worker in Perth, has been jailed for sexually abusing an elderly man in his care.
  • He pleaded guilty to three counts of indecently dealing with an incapable person.
  • He was sentenced to two years in prison but is eligible for parole.
  • The judge indicated that Irungu's visa would likely be cancelled, leading to his deportation after serving his sentence.
What are your thoughts on this case? Let us know in the comments below.

Sponsored
LIKELY TO DEPORT HIM !!! send him straight back now. Keeping him in jail will be a luxury to him . He will love giving his new house mates a hand job, free food and plenty of sex.

Why should we pay for his upkeep

Absolutely disgusting , he committed the lowest of low acts. Deport him and beforehand hand put him in a room with the elderly man's relatives.

Last edited:
LIKELY TO DEPORT HIM !!! send him straight back now. Keeping him in jail will be a luxury to him . He will love giving his new house mates a hand job, free food and plenty of sex.

Why should we pay for his upkeep

Absolutely disgusting , he committed the lowest of low acts. Maybe deport him and beforehand hand put him in a room with the elderly man's relatives.
agree

Hard to fathom such a thing. At 84 with a great family I hope not to be in that position where aged care facility has more staff.
Thank goodness video,d every centre should have camera everywhere. I worked in childcare and were 100% monitored as we should.

I don't care if he suppressed his sexuality or not. There is no excuse for this behaviour. I am truly fed up with the poor excuses people come up for their disgusting behaviours.
The mental health card for criminal behaviour the crap childhood blah blah just excuses.
I have suffered with mental health since a child had a crap childhood. And l know l am not alone in that. I would not ever think of harming another human or animal.
To think as we all age we have no idea what health issues we will face. And our loved ones may have to make one of the most difficult decisions in life. Do l have to put mum or dad in care?
You expect the best care possible for our older folks. Not abuse in any form. The trust has completely been broken for this dear late soul. Even though this poor darling did not have his mind he still knew it was wrong what this creep was doing as he pushed him away.
I cannot begin to imagine what this man's daughter must of felt when she seen the video.
There has to be some way that these people cannot be employed into these positions of trust. I wish l had the answers to stop this.
I have told my kids. If my body gives up and l still have my mind l will be checking out. I have told them please don't put me into care. If my mind has gone so be it. Then by the grace of God please let me be safe.
My apologies for my rant but l feel very strongly about the conditions our dear older folks live in. Respect dignity care and love. If you cannot give that get out of the job.
Kind regards to all Vicki

After 6 months of meeting my (now deceased) quadriplegic partner, he confided in me that one of his carers had verbally, physically and sexually abused him for 2 years.

He always blamed himself, because he had initially accepted her advances, but it eventually turned into much more and he was too embarrassed to tell anyone. Eventually, when she started stealing his money and clothes, he had an excuse to report her for theft.

She was dismissed from her job, but later reemployed by the same company. When my partner found out that she had not only returned, but was currently caring for a close friend of his (the reason for the subject being brought up again) he was absolutely distraught and feared his friend would go through what he had.

With much coercion, I got his permission to report this to the authorities and found out that numerous clients, male and female, had endured similar treatment, but had only learned now who the perpetrator was.

Sadly, he declined to take it further, but we did manage to get her struck off the carer's list throughout Australia.

I don't care if he suppressed his sexuality or not. There is no excuse for this behaviour. I am truly fed up with the poor excuses people come up for their disgusting behaviours.
The mental health card for criminal behaviour the crap childhood blah blah just excuses.
I have suffered with mental health since a child had a crap childhood. And l know l am not alone in that. I would not ever think of harming another human or animal.
To think as we all age we have no idea what health issues we will face. And our loved ones may have to make one of the most difficult decisions in life. Do l have to put mum or dad in care?
You expect the best care possible for our older folks. Not abuse in any form. The trust has completely been broken for this dear late soul. Even though this poor darling did not have his mind he still knew it was wrong what this creep was doing as he pushed him away.
I cannot begin to imagine what this man's daughter must of felt when she seen the video.
There has to be some way that these people cannot be employed into these positions of trust. I wish l had the answers to stop this.
I have told my kids. If my body gives up and l still have my mind l will be checking out. I have told them please don't put me into care. If my mind has gone so be it. Then by the grace of God please let me be safe.
My apologies for my rant but l feel very strongly about the conditions our dear older folks live in. Respect dignity care and love. If you cannot give that get out of the job.
No need to apologise for your “rant”. I always enjoy reading your comments. 🌼 It’s society’s loss that there aren’t more people like you.

After 6 months of meeting my (now deceased) quadriplegic partner, he confided in me that one of his carers had verbally, physically and sexually abused him for 2 years.

He always blamed himself, because he had initially accepted her advances, but it eventually turned into much more and he was too embarrassed to tell anyone. Eventually, when she started stealing his money and clothes, he had an excuse to report her for theft.

She was dismissed from her job, but later reemployed by the same company. When my partner found out that she had not only returned, but was currently caring for a close friend of his (the reason for the subject being brought up again) he was absolutely distraught and feared his friend would go through what he had.

With much coercion, I got his permission to report this to the authorities and found out that numerous clients, male and female, had endured similar treatment, but had only learned now who the perpetrator was.

Sadly, he declined to take it further, but we did manage to get her struck off the carer's list throughout Australia.
Well done @mOiOz. 👍🏻

Sadly, he declined to take it further, but we did manage to get her struck off the carer's list throughout Austra
No need to apologise for your “rant”. I always enjoy reading your comments. 🌼 It’s society’s loss that there aren’t more people like you.
Oh bless you thank you for your kind words.
Love to you Vicki

Not a rant Vicki just from the heart as you always do. l agree with you completely and keep well