SX2002

Aug 23, 2021
Adelaide
Car theft

It never ceases to amaze me how far behind the times and out of touch with reality our government and police are. I'm referring to the laws pertaining to car theft. In the US, it's called "Grand Theft" while here it's "Illegal Use" or even one of the old time favourites, "Joy Riding". If one was to steal $10,000 from a bank or business or even a private residence, there would be a pretty severe gaol sentence involved. Here, with car theft, it's a smack on the wrist at best.
The average cost of a car these days would be around $20-40,000, in many cases much much more. Another case just recently here in Adelaide, four morons stole a family's Range Rove, worth about $100,000 new I think. Thrashed it and then trashed it and they were charged with illegal use of a motor vehicle.
If I was on the bench, these idiots would get 20 years hard labour and have their names and photos spread over every newpaper to give other morons the idea that it's not acceptable. Your car is, in most cases, the second most costly thing you will ever buy and should not be taken lightly by our authorities the way it is now. Having a classic sought after car myself I'm always a bit worried when I'm out driving with the car jackings that seem to be becoming more popular and always lock myself in just in-case. A practice we should all maybe do to keep safe. 😠
😠😠

Reactions: Placid
Good advice Ron, but the problem then becomes a possible difficulty getting you out of a car in the event of an accident.
I agree the law 7 Justice system is far too lenient to any sort of car theft. :rolleyes:

Not a real problem Ted, paramedics and emergency services carry those glass breaking hammers and can get into your car in about 5 seconds or less. Rather that than some thug opening the door and hitting you over the head with a hammer and stealing your car I suppose. I could defend myself once but with my rotten spine I'm a bit hopeless now.