Can you spot this tiny detail that separates a fake $50 note from a real one?

Members, it’s important to be familiar with the ways to spot counterfeit money, so we can quickly identify it should we come across any.

On Monday, a Shell petrol station in Chinderah–near Tweed Heads in New South Wales–found out firsthand how convincing these fakes are.

Taking to social media, the business posted two seemingly identical $50 notes and compared them side-by-side.

The petrol station wanted to see if the public could spot the fake.

'Be wary as there are fake notes in circulation–we had one come through this weekend,' they wrote.

photo (2).jpg
A petrol station shared a photo of two $50 notes, asking their followers to identify the fake one. Credit: Shell Chinderah Bay/Facebook

The caption continued: 'Incredibly, they have replicated the window and the seven-point star on the bottom left of the window. The only thing they couldn’t replicate is the ultraviolet serial number…it doesn’t light up under a blue light.'

Can you tell which one is fake?

The public had divided opinions when trying to discern which wasn't real between the two notes.

'I think the top one is fake. But I would not have picked at a glance,' one person said, while another replied, 'How do you even find out? They both look legit.'

A social media user pointed out: ‘It's a very good fake. What was the feel of the counterfeit? Did it have the same plastic feel? The top one looks like it has ink lifting off the note rather than part of the note. I hope it does not cause others to, unfortunately, lose money.’

The store later clarified that the top note was fake.

photo (3).jpg
The top $50 note was identified as fake. Credit: Shell Chinderah Bay/Facebook

The store hoped that their post would help out other Aussies: ‘Hopefully we will be able to prevent others accepting these fake notes’.

This incident came on the back of reports of a student from a private school offering fake $50 notes in Sydney. According to reports, a group of boys from the $40,000-a-year private school were caught on camera using counterfeit $50 notes to steal $100 from a Double Bay news agency.

If you’re worried that a fake note could swindle you, the Reserve Bank of Australia has some great tips that could help you save your hard-earned money.

Firstly, counterfeit notes may feel much thicker or thinner compared to a genuine banknote–so if the note feels off, it’s best to move on.

Legitimate currency should also have the Australian Coat of Arms near the top right when held up to the light.

Diamond-shaped patterns, forming a star, can also be found inside a circle on both sides of legitimate banknotes.

The 'window' on the banknote should be clear and unable to be rubbed off, while the window pattern can be checked alongside genuine notes.

Another detail to check is if the black and shaded areas on the banknotes are printed with a special raised ink that can be felt with the finger as it is on the actual currency.

If you spot a counterfeit note, we recommend immediately reporting it to the police.

Key Takeaways
  • Australians are being warned to watch out for fake $50 notes in circulation.
  • A Shell petrol station in Chinderah, near Tweed Heads, shared a photo of two $50 notes on social media, one of which was a convincing counterfeit.
  • The Reserve Bank of Australia has recommendations to detect fake banknotes, including checking if they feel thicker or thinner than genuine ones and looking for authenticating details such as the Australian Coat of Arms, diamond-shaped patterns, a clear 'window', and special raised ink.
  • The Reserve Bank of Australia also urges anyone encountering a counterfeit to report it to the police immediately.

If in doubt, remember that you can refuse suspect notes.

Have you encountered counterfeit money, members? Share your experience in the comments!

Sponsored
Members, it’s important to be familiar with the ways to spot counterfeit money, so we can quickly identify it should we come across any.

On Monday, a Shell petrol station in Chinderah–near Tweed Heads in New South Wales–found out firsthand how convincing these fakes are.

Taking to social media, the business posted two seemingly identical $50 notes and compared them side-by-side.

'Be wary as there are fake notes in circulation–we had one come through this weekend,' they wrote.

View attachment 27739
A petrol station shared a photo of two $50 notes, asking their followers to identify the fake one. Credit: Shell Chinderah Bay/Facebook

The caption continued: 'Incredibly, they have replicated the window and the seven-point star on the bottom left of the window. The only thing they couldn’t replicate is the ultraviolet serial number…it doesn’t light up under a blue light.'

The public had divided opinions when trying to discern which wasn't real between the two notes.

'I think the top one is fake. But I would not have picked at a glance,' one person said, while another replied, 'How do you even find out? They both look legit.'

A social media user pointed out: ‘It's a very good fake. What was the feel of the counterfeit? Did it have the same plastic feel? The top one looks like it has ink lifting off the note rather than part of the note. I hope it does not cause others to, unfortunately, lose money.’

View attachment 27738

The store hoped that their post would help out other Aussies: ‘Hopefully we will be able to prevent others accepting these fake notes’.

This incident came on the back of reports of a student from a private school offering fake $50 notes in Sydney. According to reports, a group of boys from the $40,000-a-year private school were caught on camera using counterfeit $50 notes to steal $100 from a Double Bay news agency.

If you’re worried that a fake note could swindle you, the Reserve Bank of Australia has some great tips that could help you save your hard-earned money.

Firstly, counterfeit notes may feel much thicker or thinner compared to a genuine banknote–so if the note feels off, it’s best to move on.

Legitimate currency should also have the Australian Coat of Arms near the top right when held up to the light.

Diamond-shaped patterns, forming a star, can also be found inside a circle on both sides of legitimate banknotes.

The 'window' on the banknote should be clear and unable to be rubbed off, while the window pattern can be checked alongside genuine notes.

Another detail to check is if the black and shaded areas on the banknotes are printed with a special raised ink that can be felt with the finger as it is on the actual currency.

If you spot a counterfeit note, we recommend immediately reporting it to the police.

Key Takeaways

• A Shell petrol station in Chinderah, near Tweed Heads, shared a photo of two $50 notes on social media, one of which was a convincing counterfeit.
  • The Reserve Bank of Australia has recommendations to detect fake banknotes, including checking if they feel thicker or thinner than genuine ones and looking for authenticating details such as the Australian Coat of Arms, diamond-shaped patterns, a clear 'window', and special raised ink.
  • The Reserve Bank of Australia also urges anyone encountering a counterfeit to report it to the police immediately.

Have you encountered counterfeit money, members? Share your experience in the comments!
looks like a scare campaign to eliminate all cash and introduce digital currency with a full state control when, where and how you can spent them. I am not supporter of conspiracy theories but it was most obvious step after introducing cashless bank branches with a silent node from government.

It’s been in the works for some time and not a conspiracy the WEF has said cash will be gone in 5 yrs and we will be digital and they will control everything we do, you will own nothing and be.happy, so be prepared for what’s coming.

View attachment 27739

View attachment 27738

Key Takeaways

my other half handed me a "$2 coin" she got in change from the supermarket saying she hadn't seen this design before.
on closer examination it turned out to be 2 five cent coins glued together and painted gold.

We the customers should not have to worry as we would only get them in change if we were using a $100 note t buy goods

Reactions: Mr Chips
I never carry more than a $20 bill. Not because of the cashless society thing, but because I once had my handbag stolen and have been very wary of how much cash I carry ever since.
When it happened, I cancelled my cards immediately and they couldn't use them, not from the lack of trying.
Even before, I was never a great fan of carrying large notes anyhow because I don't pay cash for anything big. Just happy to carry enough to have a cup of coffee or buy a magazine.
It is true. We are heading for a cashless society. However, it is not going to happen overnight. My hubby still likes to go to the ATM every fortnight and collect his spending money. He doesn't even have a pay wave on his Eftpos card. He is happy with things that way and sees no reason to change.
I reckon there would be a lot of people out there who feel the same. My oldest son is one of them.
I can't imagine parents giving kids pocket money bye EFT. Oh, the humanity.

There have always been counterfeit banknotes in circulation. The conspiracy theories are utter BS.
During my years in retail we had the $10 notes in the 1980s and then finally $50 & $100 notes in 2015. In the interim there were other denominations, some very convincing others not so, in fact when tallying up the days takings before I retired there was a $50 note, that had been printed on paper on a laser printer, that a staff member had accepted over the counter.
The modus operandi of the lowlifes passing these notes is to buy something of low value and pay with a high value note. Hence they convert the fake to legit currency. Unfortunately the recipient has the fake note confiscated by the bank and loses the money. Counting machines used by banks detect the fakes so, in reality, you are safer doing a withdrawal from an ATM or at the bank. Cashout at the supermarket checkouts can easily lead to you being, however inadvertently, caught with a dud.
So fellow SDC members be vigilant when handling cash. If you are the last person handling the note when it is identified as fake you will be out of pocket 👀

View attachment 27739

View attachment 27738

Key Takeaways

The only 50 dollar notes I get are from the bank, so the onus is on them, and as I only carry nothing higher than said 50 $ .

View attachment 27739

View attachment 27738

Key Takeaways

Should we be able to discern between the 2 banknotes pictured HERE? I cannot see how you distinguish between them in a photo!! (Please explain!)

Reactions: Wieso and Annna
We the customers should not have to worry as we would only get them in change if we were using a $100 note t buy goods
My bank only gives out $50 notes ,I haven’t seen $100 for years only if you ask for them

Reactions: TheBear
my other half handed me a "$2 coin" she got in change from the supermarket saying she hadn't seen this design before.
on closer examination it turned out to be 2 five cent coins glued together and painted gold.
You can’t be too careful.

Just checked my piggybank which has a number of 5-cent coins in it which appears to be the highest currency I have. Are there any issues with 5-cent coins I wonder? If there is an issue I might be in trouble. Does anybody have any clues? Lol. (That's my best contribution to support for a cashless society).

The 1% ultra-wealthy are working hard on a cashless society. The poor pay through the RBA inflation process while the banks and corporations record record profits. Pretty soon there will be no cash and if there was, the bottom 99% couldn't afford it anyway.

Happy to be 69 and on my way outa here. Good luck millennials.

looks like a scare campaign to eliminate all cash and introduce digital currency with a full state control when, where and how you can spent them. I am not supporter of conspiracy theories but it was most obvious step after introducing cashless bank branches with a silent node from government.
😒

The only 50 dollar notes I get are from the bank, so the onus is on them, and as I only carry nothing higher than said 50 $ .
Not really, there was someone caught out not long ago I seem to remember who got a fake out of the ATM and when they approach the bank to report it, the bank would not reimburse it because it was not legal tender.

Not really, there was someone caught out not long ago I seem to remember who got a fake out of the ATM and when they approach the bank to report it, the bank would not reimburse it because it was not legal tender.
The bank should be held accountable after all they should check before money 💰 is handed out even from the ATM,it’s their responsibility.

Reactions: Wieso and Annna
The bank should be held accountable after all they should check before money 💰 is handed out even from the ATM,it’s their responsibility.
A counterfeit note may be used as legal tender to buy something as was the case with students from the Private school at the hardware & before the Bank receives it or them. At the Bank staff would be expected to check denominations which are known to have been the centre of counterfeit & withdraw any forgeries from circulation.