Cabbage stuffed with Meat n Rice

I do a variety of stuffed vegetables and cabbage I have a couple of variations of cabbage leaves and wanted to share this

This one is Cabbage leaf rolls filled with beef, rice & plenty of fresh herbs in an egg lemon sauce.

Screenshot_20230811_203139_Gallery.jpg

INGREDIENTS

1 whole cabbage.
1/4 cup white vinegar.
1 Tbsp salt.
Water to fill the pot.

Filling.
1 large onion, chopped finely.
2cloves crushed garlic.
500g beef mince.
1/4 cup chopped fresh mint.
1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley.
1 tomato peeled and grated.
1/2 cup washed medium grain rice.
2 Tbsp tomato paste
Salt & pepper to taste.
2 cups Vegetable stock
Water.

Sauce

2 eggs
Juice of 3 lemons.

METHOD

Peel away a few outer leaves of the cabbage if they’re damaged or dirty & discard. Cut out the core of the cabbage, place it in a large pot and fill with water, vinegar & salt. Allow it to boil and gently remove the leaves as they pull away from the body and set aside.
For the filling combine all ingredients into the one bowl. Set aside & prepare the leaves.

To prepare the leaves, cut out the large vein running through the the leaf, this will make the dolmades easier to roll. Do not discard. Then cut the leaf in half which is now ready to fill. Refer to my highlights to watch a more in-depth description.
Line your large pot with the leaf cut offs & any odd pieces you cannot use to roll. To fill your prepared leaves, add approximately 1.5 Tbsp of filling toward the bottom of the leaf. Begin to roll up, bring in the sides to seal then continue rolling tightly. Place the Cabbage seam side down tightly in your pot, add stock and water until it just reaches the top layer but not fully covering them. Place a plate on top , bring to boil & simmer on medium heat for approximately 2 hours .

Screenshot_20230813_174653_Gallery.jpgScreenshot_20230813_174709_Gallery.jpgScreenshot_20230813_174703_Gallery.jpgScreenshot_20230813_174703_Gallery.jpgScreenshot_20230813_174720_Gallery.jpgScreenshot_20230813_174646_Gallery.jpg

Sauce
Prepare the sauce by whisking the eggs & lemon until frothy. Scoop out some of the stock from the pot of cabbage and pour it into the egg & lemon whisking vigorously. Pour the egg and lemon mixture back into the pot and let it stand for 10-15 minutes before serving.

Note: I also cook this is a slow cooker for 6 hours

Attachments

• 20230813_131128.jpg
    20230813_131128.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot_20230813_174715_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20230813_174715_Gallery.jpg
    75.6 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Sponsored
I do a variety of stuffed vegetables and cabbage I have a couple of variations of cabbage leaves and wanted to share this

This one is Cabbage leaf rolls filled with beef, rice & plenty of fresh herbs in an egg lemon sauce.

View attachment 27277

INGREDIENTS

1 whole cabbage.
1/4 cup white vinegar.
1 Tbsp salt.
Water to fill the pot.

Filling.
1 large onion, chopped finely.
2cloves crushed garlic.
500g beef mince.
1/4 cup chopped fresh mint.
1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley.
1 tomato peeled and grated.
1/2 cup washed medium grain rice.
2 Tbsp tomato paste
Salt & pepper to taste.
2 cups Vegetable stock
Water.

Sauce

2 eggs
Juice of 3 lemons.

METHOD

Peel away a few outer leaves of the cabbage if they’re damaged or dirty & discard. Cut out the core of the cabbage, place it in a large pot and fill with water, vinegar & salt. Allow it to boil and gently remove the leaves as they pull away from the body and set aside.
For the filling combine all ingredients into the one bowl. Set aside & prepare the leaves.

To prepare the leaves, cut out the large vein running through the the leaf, this will make the dolmades easier to roll. Do not discard. Then cut the leaf in half which is now ready to fill. Refer to my highlights to watch a more in-depth description.
Line your large pot with the leaf cut offs & any odd pieces you cannot use to roll. To fill your prepared leaves, add approximately 1.5 Tbsp of filling toward the bottom of the leaf. Begin to roll up, bring in the sides to seal then continue rolling tightly. Place the Cabbage seam side down tightly in your pot, add stock and water until it just reaches the top layer but not fully covering them. Place a plate on top , bring to boil & simmer on medium heat for approximately 2 hours .

View attachment 27346View attachment 27348View attachment 27347View attachment 27347View attachment 27350View attachment 27345

Sauce
Prepare the sauce by whisking the eggs & lemon until frothy. Scoop out some of the stock from the pot of cabbage and pour it into the egg & lemon whisking vigorously. Pour the egg and lemon mixture back into the pot and let it stand for 10-15 minutes before serving.

Note: I also cook this is a slow cooker for 6 hours
Now that's different I'm from a Ukrainian back ground and my grandmother and mother made cabbage rolls and they were cooked in a tomato 🍅 based sauce good to see different variations 👍

Reactions: Bridgit and Penny4
Now that's different I'm from a Ukrainian back ground and my grandmother and mother made cabbage rolls and they were cooked in a tomato 🍅 based sauce good to see different variations 👍
This isn't my normal ones , I usually add tomato paste and no herbs to the mince and I usually add butter to the water. This is a healthy variation which I've made a lot and family love it

My family love cabbage rolls - your recipe is slightly different - coming from a Lebanese/Greek background this dish is a regular in our household :)

Reactions: Suzanne rose
My family love cabbage rolls - your recipe is slightly different - coming from a Lebanese/Greek background this dish is a regular in our household :)
Our family are from a Greek background, my sister inlaw is always sending me new recipes and this was one of them

This is different to what I usually do . I also do stuffed vine leaves .

I love how food is cooked differently on each Greek Island