My mum was an amazing Baker taking over from her father (who sadly I never met) she could turn her hand to anything, butterfly cakes were always in the cake tin, from there she made everyone in our small towns birthday cake & wedding cake at a no cost - how?? we were rather poor in those days, but when I go home - people of all ages still remember her.

Adored Mumma's butterfly cakes. They always seemed to just appear in one of the cake tins which were always full of treats that we would pop into our pockets as we made our way to the cubby up in the trees. We were lucky kid's, a generation that knew freedom to play in safety. Those were the days 😊

Butterfly cakes

Childhood birthday parties wouldn’t be complete without these fluffy cakes. Kids called them butterfly cakes topped with a dollop of whipped cream and a pair of spongy wings. Yum! Do you remember these cakes?

View attachment 14542
Credits: Australia Remember When FB Page

I remember my mum making them every party that was had at our home, there were 7 of us and money was tight but she always managed to give us a party on a special birthday, but I also remember the cakes and slices she used to make us for our lunch boxes, best ever 🥰💕

These were a birthday favourite. We called them fairy cakes.

Reactions: Joyem
Who wouldn’t remember butterfly cakes I not only had them at the kids birthday parties I also served them when I had guests there is no age limit on these little beauties

We watch 3 of my granddaughter's on a Wednesday I told them yesterday that we will bake my favourite cakes from when I was little , and what are they....yes butterfly cakes