Bunnings Warehouse is making a huge change to its inventory - here's what you need to know

There's no denying that Bunnings Warehouse is our go-to spot for all of our home improvement needs. Whether we're looking to do a little bit of gardening or we need some supplies for a big home renovation project, the retailer has got it all!

However, it looks like things might be changing at our favourite hardware store, as the company has announced that it will be 'recalibrating' its inventory to better suit customers' needs.

Jen Tucker, the Merchandise Director at Bunnings, wrote to suppliers this week to let them know that they were starting to notice an improvement in their 'in-stock performance' now that the most disruptive part of the supply issues caused by the COVID-19 pandemic are over.

Ms Tucker also confirmed that the retailer will be more strategic with its product offerings. This means that some items which were ordered in larger quantities to keep shelves filled during lockdowns or as backup stock will now have their numbers reduced in warehouses across the country to make way for 'better performing' products.

p6MeGss8bK_0SQA9R8ai8rxlQvsHmZuRYwmm119LzsFVMK7G41iwyu9RMDAqagcKGX2tyPCVuAQUXVKb6yMm09pmxQAjmKz_Nubc3akk8e6ZCIajQ0NRqq0dmKZEy5J7Rkcp-mGOAuO8tCdIAGbvxfttxCr4b5d0zFSX4yHRfBNJw7W-dnANoTRX

Bunnings confirmed that there will be a major shift in their stocks as in-store purchases are returning to their pre-pandemic rate. Credit: Getty Images.

'For some lower turning and niche products we'll adjust down our holdings per store… to reflect the rate of sale rather than presentation levels,' she noted.

Ms Tucker didn't specify which low-selling products or product lines would be "tuned down”, but she did say that the procedure would probably be flexible to suit changing customer demand.

Tom Keirath, a Barrenjoey analyst, said that while customers were under lockdown, the stock for home remodelling companies had performed strongly, but that it would certainly fall once individuals started to travel.

Mr Kierath explained: 'People were stuck at home with nothing to do... Now they're out travelling and so the demand for those [DIY] products is going to be lower.'

The opposite is true for tradespeople, whose business slowed down during lockdowns but quickly picked up as new work entered the pipeline.

According to Mr Keirath, the power tools and 'nuts and bolts’ that tradies purchase are a key component of Bunnings' business.

Ms Tucker confirmed that inventory planning is standard practice for major retailers.

She said: 'We're constantly improving our processes to ensure we have the right product on our shelves at the right time and at the lowest prices for our customers.'

'Like all retailers, we regularly review inventory.'

'There's no doubt COVID was a disruptive period for all retailers with supply chain challenges and unprecedented levels of demand across different product categories.'

'Now that we are beginning to come out the other side, we are working with our suppliers to ensure we're managing stock as we always have, in a practical and common sense manner.'

The COVID-19 pandemic has changed the landscape of business as we know it. Many businesses have shifted their operations to best suit consumer practices and their demands.

Of course, many of these establishments are still recovering from the losses they incurred during lockdowns so it's logical that some are opting to sell more of the items that are popular among their customers.

So, there you have it, folks! What do you think about this change? Will you still shop at Bunnings? Let us know your thoughts down below!

Sponsored
Bunnings have made sure most Australians shop there by squeezing the little hardwares out of business. We used to have 3 hardware stores where we live now we only have a Bunnings and it isn't even a warehouse so chances are high that you will need to drive to a warehouse to find what you are looking for.

Does this mean that you have to wonder around Bunnings longer to find what you want, if it is there at all?
What I want to know is if they are still using facial recognition software for their in store cameras? There's nothing like being profiled while you are looking for that illusive product that you saw advertised on their site.

There's no denying that Bunnings Warehouse is our go-to spot for all of our home improvement needs. Whether we're looking to do a little bit of gardening or we need some supplies for a big home renovation project, the retailer has got it all!

However, it looks like things might be changing at our favourite hardware store, as the company has announced that it will be 'recalibrating' its inventory to better suit customers' needs.

Jen Tucker, the Merchandise Director at Bunnings, wrote to suppliers this week to let them know that they were starting to notice an improvement in their 'in-stock performance' now that the most disruptive part of the supply issues caused by the COVID-19 pandemic are over.

Ms Tucker also confirmed that the retailer will be more strategic with its product offerings. This means that some items which were ordered in larger quantities to keep shelves filled during lockdowns or as backup stock will now have their numbers reduced in warehouses across the country to make way for 'better performing' products.

p6MeGss8bK_0SQA9R8ai8rxlQvsHmZuRYwmm119LzsFVMK7G41iwyu9RMDAqagcKGX2tyPCVuAQUXVKb6yMm09pmxQAjmKz_Nubc3akk8e6ZCIajQ0NRqq0dmKZEy5J7Rkcp-mGOAuO8tCdIAGbvxfttxCr4b5d0zFSX4yHRfBNJw7W-dnANoTRX

Bunnings confirmed that there will be a major shift in their stocks as in-store purchases are returning to their pre-pandemic rate. Credit: Getty Images.

'For some lower turning and niche products we'll adjust down our holdings per store… to reflect the rate of sale rather than presentation levels,' she noted.

Ms Tucker didn't specify which low-selling products or product lines would be "tuned down”, but she did say that the procedure would probably be flexible to suit changing customer demand.

Tom Keirath, a Barrenjoey analyst, said that while customers were under lockdown, the stock for home remodelling companies had performed strongly, but that it would certainly fall once individuals started to travel.

Mr Kierath explained: 'People were stuck at home with nothing to do... Now they're out travelling and so the demand for those [DIY] products is going to be lower.'

The opposite is true for tradespeople, whose business slowed down during lockdowns but quickly picked up as new work entered the pipeline.

According to Mr Keirath, the power tools and 'nuts and bolts’ that tradies purchase are a key component of Bunnings' business.

Ms Tucker confirmed that inventory planning is standard practice for major retailers.

She said: 'We're constantly improving our processes to ensure we have the right product on our shelves at the right time and at the lowest prices for our customers.'

'There's no doubt COVID was a disruptive period for all retailers with supply chain challenges and unprecedented levels of demand across different product categories.'

'Now that we are beginning to come out the other side, we are working with our suppliers to ensure we're managing stock as we always have, in a practical and common sense manner.'

The COVID-19 pandemic has changed the landscape of business as we know it. Many businesses have shifted their operations to best suit consumer practices and their demands.

Of course, many of these establishments are still recovering from the losses they incurred during lockdowns so it's logical that some are opting to sell more of the items that are popular among their customers.

So, there you have it, folks! What do you think about this change? Will you still shop at Bunnings? Let us know your thoughts down below!
Not sure what that is all about - tells me nothing!

On the surface, no problem. Smart thinking. Unless of course it's a cover for not stocking stuff of which the Greens don't approve.

Reactions: Macarj
This is only an advertising gimmick, have told the public nothing, all it has told you is go and look at all the items to see which ones are reduce and while you are there purchase something you might not need.
Well don,t listen to that little voice in your head,how silly is it to buy if you dont need lol

Reactions: TheBear and Macarj

Well done. Managed to write a story about nothing. 🙄

As the Bunnings woman said....."inventory planning is standard practice for major retailers."

And, yes of course I'll still shop at Bunnings. No reason not to.

Reactions: Ezzy and Macarj
Haven't you ever noticed bonsai plants (some priced at $150-odd or more) sitting dead on the shelf? I know we have at our local Bunnings. And they regularly have a rack of severely wilted or nearly dead plants of all kinds on display in that area.

Last edited:
Reactions: jonquille
I hope they will now get more store assistants to help find and locate items so we do not have to search the store for someone to assist us.

Reactions: jonquille
I absolutely hate our Bunnings store. Always low stock if at all. When I need something I have to drive 25minutes to find out there is zero stock. I have tried checking online to actually ringing before I leave to confirm they have what I need. Get there and guess what the containers are empty and to add insult to injury they say they checked their stock but that doesn't mean they are physically there. I consider it a good trip if I come home with 50% of the items I went for and don't for Pete's sake blame it on Covid. This has been happening ever since they came to town and forced the other 2 small hardware stores out of business
It's so bad I have pulled out the empty boxes the items should have been in and left them sticking out about 100mm only to find the same boxes not touched 4 days later.
Two weeks ago I looked online and saw that they had a battery screwdriver I wanted. It showed nil stock in our store. I Rang to find out when they would be available only to be told this store doesn't stock that Item. I asked for one to be sent to the store for me to pick up. Yes but that has a $25 delivery fee attached. I asked why show them as stock Bunning's items yet I have to pay for delivery. The answer was simple sorry but that's the way it is or you can drive to our other store (50 mins) that stock it.
I will get off my soap box now but did I mention Bunnings is crap?

I know, right. Totally agree. Information zilch. And still we have to shop there, because we can’t go to the local hardware store anymore, we go to Bunnings. A monopoly.
With odds like this it would pay to be a shareholder, if the shares were affordable that is.

I wish Bunnings wld stock what we want! It is just the same old stuff they’ve had for years!
I buy it n line frm overseas bcz I cannot buy simple products here. Australia is way behind the rest of the world in hardware options. Bunnings does not even stock large light switches where the switch itself is
I absolutely hate our Bunnings store. Always low stock if at all. When I need something I have to drive 25minutes to find out there is zero stock. I have tried checking online to actually ringing before I leave to confirm they have what I need. Get there and guess what the containers are empty and to add insult to injury they say they checked their stock but that doesn't mean they are physically there. I consider it a good trip if I come home with 50% of the items I went for and don't for Pete's sake blame it on Covid. This has been happening ever since they came to town and forced the other 2 small hardware stores out of business
It's so bad I have pulled out the empty boxes the items should have been in and left them sticking out about 100mm only to find the same boxes not touched 4 days later.
Two weeks ago I looked online and saw that they had a battery screwdriver I wanted. It showed nil stock in our store. I Rang to find out when they would be available only to be told this store doesn't stock that Item. I asked for one to be sent to the store for me to pick up. Yes but that has a $25 delivery fee attached. I asked why show them as stock Bunning's items yet I have to pay for delivery. The answer was simple sorry but that's the way it is or you can drive to our other store (50 mins) that stock it.
I will get off my soap box now but did I mention Bunnings is crap?
Absolutely Typical of Bunnings!
Low quality rubbish made in China, lots of the same stuff.
Bunnings has NO INNOVATION, NO IMAGINATION!