Bunnings unveils new inclusive feature set to benefit thousands

Bunnings is hoping that its new feature, designed to make shopping easier for thousands of customers, will create a more inclusive and welcoming atmosphere at its stores.

The hardware chain has unveiled ‘sensory maps’ for every store across Australia and New Zealand, as part of its efforts to ensure its stores provide a comfortable shopping experience for all customers.

The maps can be found in the store locator section of the Bunnings website, and are designed to help customers find areas of a store that may have bright lights, loud noises and strong odours, which may be difficult for customers with sensory processing issues, such as those with Sensory Processing Disorder or autism.

The idea behind the sensory maps originated with Amaze, a non-profit organisation that provides family support and resources for individuals living with autism.

Amaze estimates that one per cent of Australians — about 260,000 — are living with autism, with forty per cent of those finding it impossible to leave home and fifty-two per cent feeling socially excluded.

Screenshot_9.png
The store map for this Bunnings in QLD already reflects the new feature, with customers being given a heads up of which areas have loud sounds, brighter lights, and stronger scents. Image Credit: Bunnings

'We’re really pleased to have rolled out sensory maps for every Bunnings store across Australia and New Zealand, which we hope will be a helpful tool for our customers with sensory restrictions,' said Ryan Baker, Bunnings' Chief Customer Officer.

'We know there are some areas of our stores that may have loud noises, strong smells or bright lights, such as our nursery and timberyard. The sensory maps will allow customers to identify these locations specific to their local store,' he continued.

‘We want all our stores to be a welcoming and inclusive place for everyone, and hope these maps help ensure customers have a great experience every time they shop with us.’

‘Customers can access the maps by visiting our website or by asking one of our team members for assistance at their local store.’

This move by Bunnings follows stores like Coles, Woolworths, and IGA which earlier introduced their own inclusivity programs to create a sensory-friendly shopping experience.

These retailers have enacted Quiet Hours over the past years, which is pretty much what it’s called — 60 minutes of muted sounds and toned-down lighting to make the shopping experience less overwhelming.

Advocates for neurodivergent persons have lauded the retailers’ initiatives in the past.

Sandra Thom-Jones, a leading researcher for autism, who was also diagnosed at 52 years old, said last year that the normal sights and sounds of grocery shopping can be difficult for those with sensory conditions as they tend to take everything that’s happening into account as opposed to others who can tune stimuli out and focus on whatever they’re doing in-store.

16013409395_f62acc6fbc_o.jpg
For some, the sights and sounds of the world can at times be too much. Image Credit: Flickr

On that note, other people without sensory overload issues have also expressed their appreciation for the small pocket of peace and tranquillity that Quiet Hours offer.

Member @Justme49 said of Woolworths: ‘I was in (there) when they went “quiet”. What a lovely idea, (it) was so peaceful. I could actually think while shopping.’

Member @JayKay also shared their appreciation for the effort on behalf of her son who also has issues with bright light and noise.

‘My son, in his mid-thirties, doing his PhD, suffers from a very rare learning difficulty which makes writing his thoughts down very hard for him,’ they said.

‘Over the years, he has developed strategies to help this, but part of (this) disorder (Dysgraphia) is extreme intolerance to bright light and disorganised noise.’

‘He wears sunglasses all year, even in shops with bright lights. He cannot travel on public transport during peak hours and wears earplugs when at train stations in Sydney. The announcements are too loud, and people chattering causes him to become disoriented and confused.

They also said their son shopped late to avoid noisy crowds.

‘It is an awkward problem to deal with, so Woolies catering for those who'd appreciate Quiet Hour, for whatever reasons, well done!’

Key Takeaways
  • Bunnings has introduced 'sensory maps' for all its stores to provide an improved shopping experience for customers with sensory processing issues.
  • This move follows similar initiatives from retailers like Coles, Woolworths, and IGA.
  • The sensory maps feature areas where customers may encounter bright lights, loud noises and strong odours.
  • Bunnings' Chief Customer Officer Ryan Baker said they want to make shopping at the hardware store a welcoming and inclusive experience for everyone.
Hopefully, more retailers will release similarly inclusive policies for those of us who see, hear, and feel the world in a different way.

Maybe they should take cues from ALDI shoppers who helped the mum of a child with autism when she was feeling overwhelmed, or the hundreds of BIG W customers nationwide who gave another mum the shock of her life when they responded to an appeal she made for her neurodivergent son.

On that note, Aussies with more questions about autism and related neurodivergent characteristics can click here for Aware Australia’s convenient directory of relevant resources.

Aware Australia can also be reached by phone at 1300 308 699 or via email at [email protected].

How about you: have you ever visited a store and felt challenged by the lighting or noise levels? How do you cope with situations like this outside of Quiet Hours?

Do you think Bunnings' latest initiative will help those with sensory considerations?

Tell us your thoughts below!

Sponsored
I think the 1 hour free noise is great. Although the map at bunnings I'm not sure how it will work.
My grandson is 14 and has autism, he can't read so definitely couldn't read a map. My friends daughter is 25 can read but wouldn't be able to read or concentrate on a map.
It would be nice if all stores stopped playing music or at least play just soft music .

We were in kmart the other day and the music they were playing it was very loud and we ended up leaving because of it

I think the 1 hour free noise is great. Although the map at bunnings I'm not sure how it will work.
My grandson is 14 and has autism, he can't read so definitely couldn't read a map. My friends daughter is 25 can read but wouldn't be able to read or concentrate on a map.
It would be nice if all stores stopped playing music or at least play just soft music .

We were in kmart the other day and the music they were playing it was very loud and we ended up leaving because of it
I have tinnitus and the music in stores for me just sounds like a cacophony of noise

Bunnings is hoping that its new feature, designed to make shopping easier for thousands of customers, will create a more inclusive and welcoming atmosphere at its stores.

The hardware chain has unveiled ‘sensory maps’ for every store across Australia and New Zealand, as part of its efforts to ensure its stores provide a comfortable shopping experience for all customers.

The maps can be found in the store locator section of the Bunnings website, and are designed to help customers find areas of a store that may have bright lights, loud noises and strong odours, which may be difficult for customers with sensory processing issues, such as those with Sensory Processing Disorder or autism.

The idea behind the sensory maps originated with Amaze, a non-profit organisation that provides family support and resources for individuals living with autism.

Amaze estimates that one per cent of Australians — about 260,000 — are living with autism, with forty per cent of those finding it impossible to leave home and fifty-two per cent feeling socially excluded.

View attachment 13619
The store map for this Bunnings in QLD already reflects the new feature, with customers being given a heads up of which areas have loud sounds, brighter lights, and stronger scents. Image Credit: Bunnings

'We’re really pleased to have rolled out sensory maps for every Bunnings store across Australia and New Zealand, which we hope will be a helpful tool for our customers with sensory restrictions,' said Ryan Baker, Bunnings' Chief Customer Officer.

'We know there are some areas of our stores that may have loud noises, strong smells or bright lights, such as our nursery and timberyard. The sensory maps will allow customers to identify these locations specific to their local store,' he continued.

‘We want all our stores to be a welcoming and inclusive place for everyone, and hope these maps help ensure customers have a great experience every time they shop with us.’

‘Customers can access the maps by visiting our website or by asking one of our team members for assistance at their local store.’

This move by Bunnings follows stores like Coles, Woolworths, and IGA which earlier introduced their own inclusivity programs to create a sensory-friendly shopping experience.

These retailers have enacted Quiet Hours over the past years, which is pretty much what it’s called — 60 minutes of muted sounds and toned-down lighting to make the shopping experience less overwhelming.

Advocates for neurodivergent persons have lauded the retailers’ initiatives in the past.

Sandra Thom-Jones, a leading researcher for autism, who was also diagnosed at 52 years old, said last year that the normal sights and sounds of grocery shopping can be difficult for those with sensory conditions as they tend to take everything that’s happening into account as opposed to others who can tune stimuli out and focus on whatever they’re doing in-store.

View attachment 13620
For some, the sights and sounds of the world can at times be too much. Image Credit: Flickr

On that note, other people without sensory overload issues have also expressed their appreciation for the small pocket of peace and tranquillity that Quiet Hours offer.

Member @Justme49 said of Woolworths: ‘I was in (there) when they went “quiet”. What a lovely idea, (it) was so peaceful. I could actually think while shopping.’

Member @JayKay also shared their appreciation for the effort on behalf of her son who also has issues with bright light and noise.

‘My son, in his mid-thirties, doing his PhD, suffers from a very rare learning difficulty which makes writing his thoughts down very hard for him,’ they said.

‘Over the years, he has developed strategies to help this, but part of (this) disorder (Dysgraphia) is extreme intolerance to bright light and disorganised noise.’

‘He wears sunglasses all year, even in shops with bright lights. He cannot travel on public transport during peak hours and wears earplugs when at train stations in Sydney. The announcements are too loud, and people chattering causes him to become disoriented and confused.

‘It is an awkward problem to deal with, so Woolies catering for those who'd appreciate Quiet Hour, for whatever reasons, well done!’

Key Takeaways

• Bunnings has introduced 'sensory maps' for all its stores to provide an improved shopping experience for customers with sensory processing issues.
  • This move follows similar initiatives from retailers like Coles, Woolworths, and IGA.
  • The sensory maps feature areas where customers may encounter bright lights, loud noises and strong odours.
  • Bunnings' Chief Customer Officer Ryan Baker said they want to make shopping at the hardware store a welcoming and inclusive experience for everyone.
Hopefully, more retailers will release similarly inclusive policies for those of us who see, hear, and feel the world in a different way.

Maybe they should take cues from ALDI shoppers who helped the mum of a child with autism when she was feeling overwhelmed, or the hundreds of BIG W customers nationwide who gave another mum the shock of her life when they responded to an appeal she made for her neurodivergent son.

On that note, Aussies with more questions about autism and related neurodivergent characteristics can click here for Aware Australia’s convenient directory of relevant resources.

Aware Australia can also be reached by phone at 1300 308 699 or via email at [email protected].

How about you: have you ever visited a store and felt challenged by the lighting or noise levels? How do you cope with situations like this outside of Quiet Hours?

Do you think Bunnings' latest initiative will help those with sensory considerations?

I do not have autism but I hate shopping at Woolworths. As soon as I enter I feel faint and disoriented. I think it is the lighting because I find some areas of their stores are worse. If I must go in (with my daughter who shops there or I have no alternative at the time and place) I escape as quickly as possible often without some things I came for because I just could not cope with finding them . It has never happened in any Coles store.

1) Cut the crap muzak.
2) Employ enough staff so that we don't waste OUR time, for which we are not paid, standing in a queue at a check-out counter for 10 minutes.
3) Close at weekends and at 6pm each night so so that small business may once again employ families.
4) Stop price gouging.

1) Cut the crap muzak.
2) Employ enough staff so that we don't waste OUR time, for which we are not paid, standing in a queue at a check-out counter for 10 minutes.
3) Close at weekends and at 6pm each night so so that small business may once again employ families.
4) Stop price gouging.
Don't think your comment 3 would go down too well with most people.
As far as price gouging goes, tell me where I can go that is cheaper and has the range that Bunnings has.
Have tried other stores on occasions but ended up at Bunnings to get everything that I required. Don't have the time for all the running around.

View attachment 13619

View attachment 13620

Key Takeaways

Reactions: Granny*Deb
Comment 3 would go down like a lead balloon, which is why now we have a duopoly controlling prices.

Likewise Bunnings; the former ironmongers have been killed by cut-price long-hours competition and we now have to drive to large parking lots with the consequent environmental problems, rather than walking or cycling to the local ironmongers to buy our goods.

Reactions: Granny*Deb
Fd
Comment 3 would go down like a lead balloon, which is why now we have a duopoly controlling prices.

Likewise Bunnings; the former ironmongers have been killed by cut-price long-hours competition and we now have to drive to large parking lots with the consequent environmental problems, rather than walking or cycling to the local ironmongers to buy our good

Likewise Bunnings; the former ironmongers have been killed by cut-price long-hours competition and we now have to drive to large parking lots with the consequent environmental problems, rather than walking or cycling to the local ironmongers to buy our goods.
Did you come out of the ark, ironmongers really???

Did

Did you come out of the ark, ironmongers really???

These may all be good ideas. Customer service at Bunnings is atrocious that's if you can find someone to serve you. Some staff at the Shepparton store are the rudest people ever. I loathe to go there. Having said that there are some excellent staff too. They have the monopoly so they dont really care about customer service.

I think it’s a great idea, very inclusive. They probably don’t need to be able to read, just see the colour shows where not to go. Bunnings at Brendale and Bald Hills are great to shop at,. The alternative is to buy online and click and collect inside at counter or direct to boot at parking bay.

Reactions: Ezzy

Write to Kmart and tell them, especially that the store was playing the music too loud. You just need to tell them which store it was as well. It could be that a staff member turned the music up. The store is for customers.

Great idea and maybe also do colours to signal out the area in case some people do have trouble reading but can utilise colours. I now have memory & cognitive issues and I can read something and it's automatically gone. With colours to signal the areas, it will help me.

Reactions: Jenny07 and Ezzy
Write to Kmart and tell them, especially that the store was playing the music too loud. You just need to tell them which store it was as well. It could be that a staff member turned the music up. The store is for customers. Autism comes is various forms and loud music can cause problems alone for some people. Plus, I get lost easily myself when I walk into stores. I loose my concentration easily now.

Reactions: Ezzy

I am sorry to hear about your grandson & friends daughter. I can relate to what you said about the music, though fortunately l don't have those problems myself. l may have been misinformed but there is suppose to be an inaudible message, similar to a dog whistle, in this music with a message deterring people from stealing. Whether this is a reason for maintaining the music l don't know but a softer volume would make for a happier shopping experience.