Bunnings shopper takes simple detour and becomes $2.3 million richer: 'It’s pretty surreal!'

A trip to Bunnings is a common activity for many Australians, but for one Adelaide man, a last-minute detour to his local newsagent turned his ordinary day into an extraordinary one.

This is the story of how a simple decision to buy a lotto ticket turned him into a multimillionaire overnight.

The Adelaide resident, who wished to remain anonymous, was on a routine shopping trip to Bunnings.

On a whim, he decided to stop by Pimpala Newsagency & Gifts in Woodcroft, a suburb in the city's south, to purchase a lottery ticket for the $30 million lottery draw.

SDC Images (8).png
A Bunnings shopper’s last-minute detour has made him $2.3 million richer overnight. Image source: Bunnings Warehouse (left), The Lott (right).

Little did he know that this spur-of-the-moment decision would change his life forever.

The day after his impromptu lottery entry, he received a phone call from The Lott officials, informing him that he was one of the 13 division one winning entries in Saturday X Lotto draw 4429.

The news came as a shock, and the man admitted that the $2.3 million windfall was a 'bit of good news' just in time for the new year.

'I'm trying to stay cool, calm, and collected. I don't think it’s fully sunk in yet,' the winner said.

'I got on the computer this morning and checked my ticket and couldn't believe it! It's pretty surreal!'

While still processing the news, he has already started thinking about how to use his newfound wealth.

Investing a portion of the winnings is on the cards, and he's also considering treating himself to a 'new car'.

The winning numbers in Saturday X Lotto draw 4429 were 39, 38, 3, 2, 11 and 23, with the supplementary numbers being 22 and 35.

The lucky Bunnings shopper was the only division one winner in South Australia.

There were four other winners in New South Wales and Victoria, two in Western Australia, and one each in Queensland and the Northern Territory.

This win brings the total number of millionaires created by Saturday X Lotto in 2023 to 176.

'What a way to finish the year,' the newest member of the club said.
Key Takeaways
  • A man became a multimillionaire after buying a Saturday X Lotto ticket during a last-minute detour to his local newsagent.
  • The Adelaide resident won $2.3 million as one of the 13 division one winning entries in the lottery draw.
  • The winning Lotto ticket was purchased at Pimpala Newsagency & Gifts in Woodcroft, a southern suburb of Adelaide.
  • There have been 176 millionaires created by Saturday X Lotto in 2023 alone.
What would you do if you won the lottery? Share your thoughts with us in the comments below.

Sponsored
A trip to Bunnings is a common activity for many Australians, but for one Adelaide man, a last-minute detour to his local newsagent turned his ordinary day into an extraordinary one.

This is the story of how a simple decision to buy a lotto ticket turned him into a multimillionaire overnight.

The Adelaide resident, who wished to remain anonymous, was on a routine shopping trip to Bunnings.

On a whim, he decided to stop by Pimpala Newsagency & Gifts in Woodcroft, a suburb in the city's south, to purchase a lottery ticket for the $30 million lottery draw.

View attachment 38480
A Bunnings shopper’s last-minute detour has made him $2.3 million richer overnight. Image source: Bunnings Warehouse (left), The Lott (right).

Little did he know that this spur-of-the-moment decision would change his life forever.

The day after his impromptu lottery entry, he received a phone call from The Lott officials, informing him that he was one of the 13 division one winning entries in Saturday X Lotto draw 4429.

The news came as a shock, and the man admitted that the $2.3 million windfall was a 'bit of good news' just in time for the new year.

'I'm trying to stay cool, calm, and collected. I don't think it’s fully sunk in yet,' the winner said.

'I got on the computer this morning and checked my ticket and couldn't believe it! It's pretty surreal!'

While still processing the news, he has already started thinking about how to use his newfound wealth.

Investing a portion of the winnings is on the cards, and he's also considering treating himself to a 'new car'.

The winning numbers in Saturday X Lotto draw 4429 were 39, 38, 3, 2, 11 and 23, with the supplementary numbers being 22 and 35.

There were four other winners in New South Wales and Victoria, two in Western Australia, and one each in Queensland and the Northern Territory.

This win brings the total number of millionaires created by Saturday X Lotto in 2023 to 176.

Key Takeaways

• A man became a multimillionaire after buying a Saturday X Lotto ticket during a last-minute detour to his local newsagent.
  • The Adelaide resident won $2.3 million as one of the 13 division one winning entries in the lottery draw.
  • The winning Lotto ticket was purchased at Pimpala Newsagency & Gifts in Woodcroft, a southern suburb of Adelaide.
What would you do if you won the lottery? Share your thoughts with us in the comments below.

View attachment 38480

Key Takeaways

Right place right time it's got Jack 💩💩to do with Bunnings 🙄

Never won the big one. Would be nice to get a couple of million though. Some to buy daughter & son a home each, and give equal to eldest who has paid off his home already, keep a little for hubby & me and give the rest away to charity. Daughter separated from cheating husband and with 3 grown but dependant children, son renting and on casual and basic wages so he cannot afford to save or have a mortgage. And so many on the street and without a place to live or without jobs, therefore no wages or savings. What do we need it for? We own our home, not one debt, can manage to live on our savings, so why be selfish? We’ve done any travel we wanted to do & getting too old to travel long distances any more.

I would give the majority to our grown up children & keep a small amount for ourselves. Also donate to a charity of our choice. Wouldn't it be lovely!
Never won the big one. Would be nice to get a couple of million though. Some to buy daughter & son a home each, and give equal to eldest who has paid off his home already, keep a little for hubby & me and give the rest away to charity. Daughter separated from cheating husband and with 3 grown but dependant children, son renting and on casual and basic wages so he cannot afford to save or have a mortgage. And so many on the street and without a place to live or without jobs, therefore no wages or savings. What do we need it for? We own our home, not one debt, can manage to live on our savings, so why be selfish? We’ve done any travel we wanted to do & getting too old to travel long distances any more.
I love how amid everything, there's a space for charity! Very much Australian :D

I think the first thing I would do is to panic lol, it’s a big responsibility to use it wisely. I would look after my family but depending on the amount I have had a plan for years. I would like to purchase one or two homes and give families the opportunity to buy their own homes. The chosen families would pay rent for two years and if they have kept up the payments this money would be returned to them for a deposit on their own home. And then another family would get the same chance. If they miss payments then they lose the money. I guess it’s just a dream but it would be great to help out some people

View attachment 38480

Key Takeaways

I think i've already won lotto by NOT (or very rarely ever) taking a lotto tik at all- according to Paul Clitheroe yrs ago, if we put the cost of a tik in bank we would have equivalent of a div 1 win in 20yrs! I'm definitely on a winner here me thinks as the odds are stacked way against me, jus like playing the pokies, paying into super, or any other form of gambling really, stuff all chance of coming out on top!
Good luck to this fellow tho, hope it doesn't ruin him & make him miserably unhappy as is so often the case (read about studies of winners researched where only one of seven winners was still happy several yrs after winning & that was the priest that won & gave away or donated the whole lot of it & kept none!

I'm hanging on to this theory anyway, no matter what!

Good luck to the winners ! I don’t buy tickets ! When my husband was alive we always did for decades and the most we ever won $50 lol so I don’t waste my money anymore

View attachment 38480

Key Takeaways

Hi I remember the old joke about the old couple who cleaned up big in a lottery. She said "What are we going to DO about the begging letters. He thought for a moment and said "Keep sending, I suppose."