Bunnings and other retailers face scrutiny from animal advocates over the continuous sale of glue traps despite numerous petitions to stop them

Warning: The following photos may contain graphic imagery.

The issue of glue traps has been gaining traction in Australia in recent months, as animal rights advocates push retailers to stop selling them.

There is growing pressure on retailers, such as Bunnings, to stop selling glue traps, with a petition calling for their withdrawal receiving close to 38,000 signatures.

Glue traps are devices that are coated in a sticky substance, designed to catch rodents and other small animals. However, they often end up trapping other creatures, including birds, lizards, and even snakes.

oXC3LN6N6b0Zn852xJmT77Bgyir340vhPAVI1m5zJNbpEGfrCLRbZ-qRCu8EZnoaunIYmA64edhe4rXXthNbnFSY2zx_RaU1vE_-MRGz_ri5FRZLIbIw1rnEguYoiKuiOfxX1ZlvOH2LnnHw

The petition to stop the selling of glue traps has received almost 38,000 signatures. Credit: Change.org.

The petition read: "Glue traps cause horrific pain and suffering to any animal that comes in contact with them."

"It can be days before the creature succumbs to death via dehydration and starvation."

The petition, which was started by wildlife advocate Cat Coake and was posted on Change.org earlier this year, was said to be the sixth-biggest petition that has been started this year.

“We’re proud to support Cat as she uses the Change.org platform to help protect native animals,” said Change.org Australia director Nic Holas.

Mr Holas also expressed his hopes that big retailers, such as Bunnings and eBay, take the calls into consideration and stop the selling of glue traps.

Ms Coake, who called for supporters to send in evidence of the glue traps' impact three weeks ago, said that she receives an image showing wildlife caught in glue traps almost every day.

The glue traps in which the animals were found look almost identical, so it can be hard to identify which retailer sold them.

Among the species found in the traps include the Boobook owl, blue-tongue lizard, baby ringtail possum and a red-bellied black snake.

One heartbreaking image even shows a small bat whose wing had been ripped off by an insect glue trap.

ZWHSSBjcy4cKiNtttWdnjqN0xEYHPTl0JCIjqgde3pF-JUKEA_kgCvlY-49P2-Xu8d0WdHF-BjRn-u6McjG1Za2NTLUy5cNZe0zG1LywBMvA9eT2geLm8Ase0L9z8Y5R7szEI83zGuR5fh-9

The glue traps where the animals were found look almost identical, so it can be hard to identify which retailer sold them. Credit: Salina Giovenco-Ellem / Point Cook Wildlife Care Inc.

Bunnings general manager of merchandise Adrian Pearce confirmed that while the company is aware of the petition, there is a "range of views" to be considered regarding the sale of the item.

He quipped: “We continue to work with our suppliers and the regulatory bodies to ensure we are well-informed on these products.”

“We are working with our suppliers to include additional information on packaging to make it even more clear for customers how to correctly use the products, and we are aiming to roll this out before the end of the year.”

It should be noted that while the retailer is currently not selling rodent targeting traps from their stores, it still retails insect glue traps.

Animal rescuers reiterate that all types of glue traps have the potential to harm native wildlife.

Bats and birds are particularly vulnerable to glue traps, as they often mistake the sticky substance for a food source. Once caught, it can be difficult for these animals to free themselves, leading to injuries or even death.

YjSp40LOOb4pJ3s8IpCBbNL5pNgqInm5HHF9hy-KEna2DH-uh_SAL91swgd7l60Ck_fjDMLhk95INvzELiTXJEr_AL32rU6hYF3A1vwcd5GnoFTFo3SF5cG9MvFNnQup7P4El4sNGu7xhd58

Regardless of type, glue traps have the potential to harm native wildlife. Credit: Stefanie Taylor.

Meanwhile, both eBay and Amazon confirmed that they have taken steps to remove glue traps from their platforms following criticism from animal welfare advocates.

An eBay representative said that the company has made adjustments to its website, claiming that certain filters were put in place to block shoppers from viewing its online store's expansive range of glue traps.

However, a quick search of their site reveals there are still numerous listings of both insect and rodent varieties.

Amazon, on the other hand, said that they are working closely with their US sellers to "close a loophole" on exporting the traps to the country.

More information on this move remains unclear.

Should major retailers stop selling glue traps? Share your thoughts with us in the comments below. Also, for those who are looking to sign the petition, you may pledge your support here.

Sponsored
Bunnings and other retailers face scrutiny from animal advocates over the continuous sale of glue traps despite numerous petitions to stop them

The issue of glue traps has been gaining traction in Australia in recent months, as animal rights advocates push retailers to stop selling them.

There is growing pressure on retailers, such as Bunnings, to stop selling glue traps, with a petition calling for their withdrawal receiving close to 38,000 signatures.

Glue traps are devices that are coated in a sticky substance, designed to catch rodents and other small animals. However, they often end up trapping other creatures, including birds, lizards, and even snakes.

oXC3LN6N6b0Zn852xJmT77Bgyir340vhPAVI1m5zJNbpEGfrCLRbZ-qRCu8EZnoaunIYmA64edhe4rXXthNbnFSY2zx_RaU1vE_-MRGz_ri5FRZLIbIw1rnEguYoiKuiOfxX1ZlvOH2LnnHw

The petition to stop the selling of glue traps has received almost 38,000 signatures. Credit: Change.org.

The petition read: "Glue traps cause horrific pain and suffering to any animal that comes in contact with them."

"It can be days before the creature succumbs to death via dehydration and starvation."

The petition, which was started by wildlife advocate Cat Coake and was posted on Change.org earlier this year, was said to be the sixth-biggest petition that has been started this year.

“We’re proud to support Cat as she uses the Change.org platform to help protect native animals,” said Change.org Australia director Nic Holas.

Mr Holas also expressed his hopes that big retailers, such as Bunnings and eBay, take the calls into consideration and stop the selling of glue traps.

Ms Coake, who called for supporters to send in evidence of the glue traps' impact three weeks ago, said that she receives an image showing wildlife caught in glue traps almost every day.

The glue traps in which the animals were found look almost identical, so it can be hard to identify which retailer sold them.

Among the species found in the traps include the Boobook owl, blue-tongue lizard, baby ringtail possum and a red-bellied black snake.

One heartbreaking image even shows a small bat whose wing had been ripped off by an insect glue trap.

ZWHSSBjcy4cKiNtttWdnjqN0xEYHPTl0JCIjqgde3pF-JUKEA_kgCvlY-49P2-Xu8d0WdHF-BjRn-u6McjG1Za2NTLUy5cNZe0zG1LywBMvA9eT2geLm8Ase0L9z8Y5R7szEI83zGuR5fh-9

The glue traps where the animals were found look almost identical, so it can be hard to identify which retailer sold them. Credit: Salina Giovenco-Ellem / Point Cook Wildlife Care Inc.

Bunnings general manager of merchandise Adrian Pearce confirmed that while the company is aware of the petition, there is a "range of views" to be considered regarding the sale of the item.

He quipped: “We continue to work with our suppliers and the regulatory bodies to ensure we are well-informed on these products.”

“We are working with our suppliers to include additional information on packaging to make it even more clear for customers how to correctly use the products, and we are aiming to roll this out before the end of the year.”

It should be noted that while the retailer is currently not selling rodent targeting traps from their stores, it still retails insect glue traps.

Animal rescuers reiterate that all types of glue traps have the potential to harm native wildlife.

Bats and birds are particularly vulnerable to glue traps, as they often mistake the sticky substance for a food source. Once caught, it can be difficult for these animals to free themselves, leading to injuries or even death.

YjSp40LOOb4pJ3s8IpCBbNL5pNgqInm5HHF9hy-KEna2DH-uh_SAL91swgd7l60Ck_fjDMLhk95INvzELiTXJEr_AL32rU6hYF3A1vwcd5GnoFTFo3SF5cG9MvFNnQup7P4El4sNGu7xhd58

Regardless of type, glue traps have the potential to harm native wildlife. Credit: Stefanie Taylor.

Meanwhile, both eBay and Amazon confirmed that they have taken steps to remove glue traps from their platforms following criticism from animal welfare advocates.

An eBay representative said that the company has made adjustments to its website, claiming that certain filters were put in place to block shoppers from viewing its online store's expansive range of glue traps.

However, a quick search of their site reveals there are still numerous listings of both insect and rodent varieties.

Amazon, on the other hand, said that they are working closely with their US sellers to "close a loophole" on exporting the traps to the country.

Should major retailers stop selling glue traps? Share your thoughts with us in the comments below. Also, for those who are looking to sign the petition, you may pledge your support here.
I remember as a young child in the sixties we had sticky fly traps hanging in the kitchen...long before fly screens were on all our windows and doors. Let's hope manufacturers can produce and sell more responsible products that don't impact on the capture of our wildlife.

Possibly the end users could take some responsibility in the use of these devices to prevent unintentional results, after all they are the ones choosing to use them. As for animals being subject to a slow and painful death if they were checked on a regular basis that issue could be overcome.

Sounds like another case of thoughtless stupid people. They can be a good idea but it is where you place them and to monitor regularly. Maybe IQ tests before purchase.

Its like many other products available for almost any use, people do not like it or its potential failings so rather than look at its benefits they decide it must be banned. Would it not be more productive if the potential users were educated so that they still have the benefits of said product but can find a way to overcome its harmful effects. Lets try to remove 'Cancel Culture' from our lives

STRONG words from a Law abiding & honest person. NEVER link the dollar with cruelty no matter WHAT! There are plenty commodities for making money . To consider a worth for man made up of dollars and cents using glue traps on anything live is so cruel. Our precious animals who wonderful people have worked so hard on in the fires & floods to keep them alive, could be innocently trapped. Even VERMIN DO NOT DESERVE SUCH A SHOCKING DEATH when it is a cruel slow suffering end for them. IT IS BARBARIC.. STICK one of the manufacturers up with the same treatment as they are live like the birds & animals/. I'll bet that was one test that nobody thought of. They test every other gadget you can think of. I really AM ashamed of Bunning's though. With my husband they have had $dollars in our lifetime. Always VERY attentive always always. What HAVE they done to their conscience????????????? We must not give ANY excuses. TOTALLY BAN THEM. AND FOREVER.

Yes, I thought I was doing a good thing by using glue traps instead of insecticides but I was horrified when I found some lizards stuck to it. Threw them in the bin straight away.

Definitely should be banned and removed from shelves and stores immediately. This is shameful and so cruel. ☹️☹️
Clearly marked on front of packet .."For the use in green houses and conservatories, they come with a no mess glue on double sided pack of 5 traps" You,ll never stop stupidity or misuse of anything .!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:
Reactions: Lynette Finnigan
Why are these traps left out to catch wildlife?? There are often little critters in our yard, but after our cat, then our dog died from snakebite and the snake came to eat the rats that had been breeding up....I changed my mind about being so tolerant of all animals in my yard....so when they get too over bred and start climbing into the ceiling of my house they will die....and how else to kill them?? Traps or poison is all I have... I'm too old to chase and catch them (wouldn't want to be bitten either)... and certainly couldn't afford an exterminator (who would use same)... so I only use it within my home.... so it protects my health and safety. People like me need access to these traps and poisons to keep our homes safe....I don't need rats chewing out my wiring or getting into my living space and food storage...and I'm certainly not leaving it anywhere to catch anything...only the invaders of my home.

Reactions: carosb13
Yes, I thought I was doing a good thing by using glue traps instead of insecticides but I was horrified when I found some lizards stuck to it. Threw them in the bin straight away.
I put mine inside the house and ceiling...haven't caught anything except mice and rats.....so I think they need to be sold and only used inside the home to protect from disease carrying pests.

Possibly the end users could take some responsibility in the use of these devices to prevent unintentional results, after all they are the ones choosing to use them. As for animals being subject to a slow and painful death if they were checked on a regular basis that issue could be overcome.
Agreed...perhaps the product should come with a little bottle that dissolves the glue, so if you find something in there that shouldn't be, you can quickly release it... and as you said, a responsible person should check the trap to ensure nothing is left suffering.

No ma
Definitely should be banned and removed from shelves and stores immediately. This is shameful and so cruel. ☹️☹️
No matter what product is made, there's always the idiot irresponsible user that uses it incorrectly or recklessly or carelessly and causes damage or other problems and issues... sadly it's some of the humans in this world that at minimum need to be be neutered so they don't reproduce...and maximum ..extermination to remove their foul presence altogether to stop the excessive damage they case, they can be worse than rats!!

Reactions: Kev299