Budget-friendly home makeover: This $3 Kmart item is helping people upgrade their spaces

The current cost-of-living crisis is hitting close to home for many of us, as we struggle to make ends meet with rising expenses for everyday essentials like groceries, utilities, and housing.

Renovating our living spaces can seem like a luxury, but it's also a way to create a more comfortable and functional home.

That's why more and more of us are turning to cost-saving measures to update our homes without breaking the bank. Budget-friendly decor items from retailers like Kmart offer a simple and affordable solution for giving our spaces a fresh look.

Earlier this year, people began to turn to a surprising saviour from the Kmart catalogue: vinyl adhesive.

Screen Shot 2023-02-10 at 11.58.57 AM.png
There was a time when Kmart's vinyl adhesives were all the rage, as many homeowners turned to them to give their spaces a makeover. Credit: Facebook.

Remember that adhesive vinyl craze that started in the 60s and continued up until a few years ago? It was all the rage, with shoppers covering everything from kitchen benches to appliances and doors to create a personalised touch.

Some called it 'genius', while others were less than impressed, calling it 'tacky'.

But now, people are turning to this money-saving adhesive vinyl 'hack' once again, with rolls of the adhesive vinyl selling for between $3 and $3.75 each.

One woman recently took to Facebook to show off the transformation of her kitchen counter from a dark grey to a white 'terrazzo' pattern for just $21.

'Kmart vinyl wrap [which cost a] total $21 – still have some leftover even after mistakes,' she posted, showing off the before-and-after snaps.

While the reactions were mixed, many praised the budget makeover, one calling it an 'amazing' transformation and another saying 'it looks beautiful'.

'I'm normally not one for the vinyl wrap thing but this actually looks amazing! It's made such a huge difference! So much fresher and lighter,' another commented.

Screen Shot 2023-02-10 at 11.58.51 AM.png
One mum gave her kitchen a fresh new look using budget-friendly vinyl adhesives from Kmart. Credit: Facebook.

Still, some commenters warned against the hack, since the vinyl adhesive doesn't always stand the test of time, so it might not last longer than a few years. Not bad for $21 though.

The original poster, however, said that the product was heat resistant (up to 70°C) and that it was fairly easy to install, as long as you had patience, a ruler, sharp scissors, a box cutter and a card to smooth out any bubbles.
Key Takeaways

• Adhesive vinyl products are a quick and easy way to add colour and design to a wide range of surfaces.
  • As the cost of living has risen, Australians have once again embraced this money-saving adhesive vinyl 'hack'.
  • A woman recently transformed her kitchen counter from a dark grey to a white 'terrazzo' pattern for just $21.
Vinyl adhesives can be a great way to update your living spaces and add a touch of personality to your home decor, but it's important to use them correctly to get the most out of them.

Here are some tips:
  • Choose the right surface
Vinyl adhesive works best on smooth, clean, and dry surfaces such as walls, furniture, and home accessories. Avoid using them on textured or porous surfaces, as the adhesive may not stick well.
  • Measure and cut carefully
Measure the surface where you want to apply the vinyl adhesive and cut the decal to size. Make sure to use a sharp blade or scissors to avoid any jagged edges.
  • Clean the surface
Clean the surface where you want to apply the vinyl adhesive with a damp cloth to remove any dirt or dust. Allow the surface to dry completely before applying the decal.

• Peel and stick
Carefully peel the backing paper from the decal and align it with the surface where you want to apply it. Smooth out any air bubbles with a credit card or similar object as you stick it on.
  • Add layers
To add dimension and depth to your design, you can layer multiple vinyl adhesives on top of each other. Experiment with different colours, sizes, and patterns to create a unique and eye-catching design.
  • Protect your decals
To ensure your vinyl adhesives last as long as possible, protect them from water and harsh chemicals. Avoid cleaning them with abrasive sponges or harsh cleaning products, and instead, clean them gently with a damp cloth.

By following these tips, you can make the most out of your vinyl adhesives and create beautiful, personalised spaces in your home that you'll love for years to come.

Screen Shot 2023-02-10 at 11.58.41 AM.png
Kmart's vinyl comes in a range of colours and patterns. Credit: Kmart.

If this is something that interests you – and you're prepared to give it a try – you might want to check out Kmart's adhesive vinyl products.

Costing just $3.75 each, these products offer a budget-friendly solution for updating your living spaces. And the best part? Some of them are even on clearance sale right now, which means you can get them for just $3.

Here are some you might want to check out:
So, if you're ready to give this Kmart hack a try and breathe new life into your home, head to your nearest Kmart or check out their catalogue to see the full range of options. Who knows, you might just find your new favourite home decor item for a fraction of the cost.

Screen Shot 2023-02-10 at 11.58.25 AM.png
Kmart Australia's new Living Range for February includes stylish, cosy and timeless pieces that won't break the bank. Credit: Kmart.

Another piece of good news! Kmart has also recently released their latest Living Collection and it's packed full of amazing pieces that are sure to make your home shine. Whether you're looking to add a pop of colour, create a cosy nook, or revamp your entire living space, Kmart has something for you.

And, the best part? You don't have to break the bank to do it. With plenty of budget-friendly options to choose from, you're sure to find something you love that fits your lifestyle.

For more information, be sure to check out our recent articles where we highlight some of the most amazing pieces from the collection.

Members, if you're looking to save some money on home renovations this year, and are feeling creative, this inexpensive Kmart item might be worth a try!

We're curious, have you ever tried using Kmart's adhesive vinyl in your home? If so, we'd love to hear about your experiences! Share with us in the comments below and let's help each other out with some creative and budget-friendly home renovation tips. Can't wait to hear from you!

Sponsored
I remember doing this years n years ago , when I rented a place I covered the bench tops with contact and when I purchased my first home I also did this but I think it was for change.

I would replace it often due to cuts and marks. Maybe this one is stronger

Have not used the KMart variety, but have used a much higher quality one (but I must admit also much more expensive).
Comes from a company called Vinyl Home NZ, probably a little too expensive for a rental but I get many compliments on my faux marble bench tops, with many people not realizing what it was.