Bruce Willis' daughter pens a touching message for her father

The Willis family's journey through the labyrinth of dementia continues to unfold, with Bruce Willis' eldest daughter, Rumer, sharing a poignant update that has touched the hearts of many.

The 35-year-old actress took to social media to express her longing for her father, who is battling frontotemporal dementia (FTD), a condition that has forced him to step away from his illustrious acting career.

Rumer's heartfelt post featured a throwback photo of her as a baby, cradled in the arms of her 'papa'.

'Really missing my papa today', she wrote in her post. This resonated with many who are familiar with the heart-wrenching journey of dementia.

SDC2.png
Rumer Willis shared a photo of her and her father, Bruce, on social media. Image source: Instagram/@rumerwillis.

Her sister, Tallulah, responded by saying: 'Love you sister.'

The Willis family shared Bruce's diagnosis in February 2023, a year after announcing that the Die Hard star was stepping away from acting due to aphasia, a language disorder.

The family's openness about Bruce's condition has sparked a wave of support and empathy from many.

'Hugs. It’s an odd [feeling], kind of hard to miss someone who is still here. Dementia is a cruel beast,' one said.

'With dementia, grief begins so much earlier and lasts longer because you start grieving the loss before they are physically gone,' another shared.

Bruce Willis' three adult daughters—Rumer, Tallulah, and Scout—along with his wife, Emma Heming Willis, have been sharing frequent updates about Bruce’s condition.

Bruce and Emma are parents to two girls, Mabell (11) and Evelyn (8).

Emma has also been at the forefront of raising awareness about FTD, a rare form of dementia that affects the frontal and temporal lobes of the brain, which can cause behavioural problems, difficulty with communication, and difficulty walking.

Her advocacy efforts have been supported by the extended Willis family, including Bruce's ex-wife, Demi Moore.

In a recent interview, Emma shared: 'Him and our girls, who are watching—I got the whole family watching—they’re rooting [for me].'

'I’m here to raise awareness but [also to] make them proud.'

Despite how 'painful' it was to see her husband suffer from dementia, she and the family tried to focus on the 'beautiful' side of things.

'It’s just really important to me to look up from the grief and the sadness so I can see what is happening around us,' Emma said.

'Bruce would really want us to be in the joy of what is. He would really want that for me and our family.’

Emma remains committed to destigmatising dementia and educating her children about their father's condition.

'The most important thing was to be able for us to say what the disease was, explain what it is, because when you know what the disease is from a medical standpoint, it sort of all makes sense,' she added.

'So it was important that we let (our children) know what it is because, you know, I don’t want there to be any stigma or shame attached to their dad’s diagnosis or for any form of dementia.'

Emma's candidness about the family's journey has been a source of inspiration for many, including her stepdaughter Scout LaRue, who expressed her admiration for Emma's bravery on social media.

'I’m tearing up right now thinking about how much I love you and how brave you are.'

Our thoughts go out to the Willis family as they continue to navigate this challenging journey. Their openness and resilience serve as a beacon of hope for others facing similar circumstances.
Key Takeaways
  • Bruce Willis' oldest child, Rumer, shared an emotional message on social media addressing her father's ongoing dementia battle.
  • In 2023, Willis' family disclosed his diagnosis of frontotemporal dementia (FTD), following an earlier announcement in 2022 that he had to retire from acting due to a language disorder, aphasia.
  • Willis' wife, Emma Heming Willis, has taken an active stance to raise awareness of FTD
Have you or a loved one been affected by dementia? Share your experiences and thoughts on this story in the comments below.

Sponsored
The Willis family's journey through the labyrinth of dementia continues to unfold, with Bruce Willis' eldest daughter, Rumer, sharing a poignant update that has touched the hearts of many.

The 35-year-old actress took to social media to express her longing for her father, who is battling frontotemporal dementia (FTD), a condition that has forced him to step away from his illustrious acting career.

Rumer's heartfelt post featured a throwback photo of her as a baby, cradled in the arms of her 'papa'.

'Really missing my papa today', she wrote in her post. This resonated with many who are familiar with the heart-wrenching journey of dementia.

View attachment 35538
Rumer Willis shared a photo of her and her father, Bruce, on social media. Image source: Instagram/@rumerwillis.

The Willis family shared Bruce's diagnosis in February 2023, a year after announcing that the Die Hard star was stepping away from acting due to aphasia, a language disorder.

The family's openness about Bruce's condition has sparked a wave of support and empathy from many.

'Hugs. It’s an odd [feeling], kind of hard to miss someone who is still here. Dementia is a cruel beast,' one said.

'With dementia, grief begins so much earlier and lasts longer because you start grieving the loss before they are physically gone,' another shared.

Bruce Willis' three adult daughters—Rumer, Tallulah, and Scout—along with his wife, Emma Heming Willis, have been sharing frequent updates about Bruce’s condition.

Emma has also been at the forefront of raising awareness about FTD, a rare form of dementia that affects the frontal and temporal lobes of the brain, which can cause behavioural problems, difficulty with communication, and difficulty walking.

Her advocacy efforts have been supported by the extended Willis family, including Bruce's ex-wife, Demi Moore.

In a recent interview, Emma shared: 'Him and our girls, who are watching—I got the whole family watching—they’re rooting [for me].'

Despite how 'painful' it was to see her husband suffer from dementia, she and the family tried to focus on the 'beautiful' side of things.

'It’s just really important to me to look up from the grief and the sadness so I can see what is happening around us,' Emma said.

'Bruce would really want us to be in the joy of what is. He would really want that for me and our family.’

Emma remains committed to destigmatising dementia and educating her children about their father's condition.

'The most important thing was to be able for us to say what the disease was, explain what it is, because when you know what the disease is from a medical standpoint, it sort of all makes sense,' she added.

'So it was important that we let (our children) know what it is because, you know, I don’t want there to be any stigma or shame attached to their dad’s diagnosis or for any form of dementia.'

Emma's candidness about the family's journey has been a source of inspiration for many, including her stepdaughter Scout LaRue, who expressed her admiration for Emma's bravery on social media.

'I’m tearing up right now thinking about how much I love you and how brave you are.'

Our thoughts go out to the Willis family as they continue to navigate this challenging journey. Their openness and resilience serve as a beacon of hope for others facing similar circumstances.
Key Takeaways

• Bruce Willis' oldest child, Rumer, shared an emotional message on social media addressing her father's ongoing dementia battle.
  • In 2023, Willis' family disclosed his diagnosis of frontotemporal dementia (FTD), following an earlier announcement in 2022 that he had to retire from acting due to a language disorder, aphasia.
  • Willis' wife, Emma Heming Willis, has taken an active stance to raise awareness of FTD
Have you or a loved one been affected by dementia? Share your experiences and thoughts on this story in the comments below.
So sad 😢

View attachment 35538

Key Takeaways

All my love and prayers for the Willis family, it’s such a horrible disease my thoughts are with you all 🩵❤️

View attachment 35538

Key Takeaways

My late husband was diagnosed with Alzheimer’s Disease in January 2016; I’d been worried about him for a while, but wanted him to acknowledge his problems and take himself to the doctor. Aphasia was also part of his condition - and he forgot how to read and write.

A good friend of mine in a hobby group has a husband with Alzheimer's. People in our group regularly comment about how tired she looks all the time & she will admit she is at wits end with him. He knows he is dragging her down but does not want to go into a Nursing Home or temporary respite care.

We support her as best we can in our group but this is not enough.

We need more Government support for unfortunate people like my friend.

Reactions: Littleboy8
When my mum fell victim to this awful illness I was extremely upset.
I sought help via my GP to help me accept the state mum was in and how I could support her effectively.
My Doc asked me a question that changed the way i was feeling and behaving. He asked me why I said that I was losing mum. Doc said, you are not losing your mum. She is still here, but just not behaving the way i am used to seeing. She was strong, independent, cheeky, bossy, lovable, kind and most important she was my mum. I came to learn how i could help her through the brain storms and show her loving attention. It worked as well as it could and made mum's bad days less traumatised.
The news about Bruce Willis is sad because he can no longer do the job he loved. However, the support from his family and friends will be what he will cling to more than they realise.
I'm sure he will be cared for with great care by those who know the man and love him in many special ways.

I feel so sorry for your friend and am sure she will do her best for her husband, so long as she looks after her health as well. Does she have friends that could help and give her a little respite even for a few hours a couple of days a week?

Reactions: Ezzy
I feel so sorry for your friend and am sure she will do her best for her husband, so long as she looks after her health as well. Does she have friends that could help and give her a little respite even for a few hours a couple of days a week?
Thankyou Leenie. Unfortunately having him stay with relatives has been unsuccessful, he will not hear of this & thinks he needs to stay close to my friend to support her. A tree in her backyard needs pruning, arrangements were made for a son to do this but because (in his own words), 'l should be looking after you', he found a ladder & started pruning himself, risking a fall. Sadly, there is only one solution for this situation. He has diabetes & a bad heart, died on the operating table recently & resussitated & just keeps going. The luck of the Irish perhaps?

Thankyou Leenie. Unfortunately having him stay with relatives has been unsuccessful, he will not hear of this & thinks he needs to stay close to my friend to support her. A tree in her backyard needs pruning, arrangements were made for a son to do this but because (in his own words), 'l should be looking after you', he found a ladder & started pruning himself, risking a fall. Sadly, there is only one solution for this situation. He has diabetes & a bad heart, died on the operating table recently & resussitated & just keeps going. The luck of the Irish perhaps?
Sounds like he was and still trying to be a good husband .

Reactions: Littleboy8 and Ezzy
Yes & he knows he upsets her & may apologise. At times she admits she is at wits end & when telling me you can see & feel her distress.
I can understand ,my late husband had a brain disease ( Fahrs ) , it is hereditary and no cure . It can happen anywhere from 40s up. Symptoms are similar to schizophrenia,albeit a little different. I was looking at an X-ray reading the information and it appears the brain calcifies. It is very hard to cope with as they can be erratic at times and you don’t know what to expect.

I can understand ,my late husband had a brain disease ( Fahrs ) , it is hereditary and no cure . It can happen anywhere from 40s up. Symptoms are similar to schizophrenia,albeit a little different. I was looking at an X-ray reading the information and it appears the brain calcifies. It is very hard to cope with as they can be erratic at times and you don’t know what to expect.
Leenie. I sympathize with you & what you must have endured.
Thankyou for explaining Fahrs. I was unaware of this sickness & will find more details of this for my own interest.

Reactions: Leenie
Leenie. I sympathize with you & what you must have endured.
Thankyou for explaining Fahrs. I was unaware of this sickness & will find more details of this for my own interest.
It took 25 years before they diagnosed what the problem was, and the X-ray said part of brain was calcified, it’s a terrible illness .

It took 25 years before they diagnosed what the problem was, and the X-ray said part of brain was calcified, it’s a terrible illness .
25 years to diagnose a medical problem is unacceptable.

I am truly sorry when l think how you must have suffered & all that time not knowing what had caused his behavioural change & l guess he had no control over those actions given his brain condition.

I am not sure if MRI's were available when your husband first took sick but l believe this would have helped diagnose his problem quicker & possibly make life more bearable for you. Doctors should have made this type of x-ray a priority at its onset.

At any time in the period before he was diagnosed were you given any indication by doctors what the problem may be or were you both left to wallow?

Were you even aware of this disease or that it is something that can be inherited?

I am truly sorry when l think how you must have suffered & all that time not knowing what had caused his behavioural change & l guess he had no control over those actions given his brain condition.

I am not sure if MRI's were available when your husband first took sick but l believe this would have helped diagnose his problem quicker & possibly make life more bearable for you. Doctors should have made this type of x-ray a priority at its onset.

At any time in the period before he was diagnosed were you given any indication by doctors what the problem may be or were you both left to wallow?

Were you even aware of this disease or that it is something that can be inherited?

I had no idea what was causing his actions.? Drs said it was schizophrenia and what upset me was the drugs they were pushing into him. Some of them caused glaucoma,and Parkinson’s. I believe if the radiologist had read the xrays properly it would have been diagnosed earlier. Some of the weirdest things he would say was, I was hiding boyfriends in the wardrobes ,he would see people walking through the house in the dark ,chase people who came to visit and the list goes on.He would tell our Dr these things also hear voices etc. it was a nightmare to live with. Ezzy ,I feel so sorry for others who have to cope with loved ones with these types of illness and what it does to their mental health and there was no government help, you had to cope by yourself.