Brits Down Under rejoice: ALDI's ‘British Week’ sends expats on snack hunt down memory lane!

As the old saying goes, there's no place like home, and for British expats living in Australia, home can feel like a world away.

However, thanks to ALDI Australia's latest ‘Special Buys’ event, UK natives and Anglophiles are finding a taste of home right in the aisles of their local supermarket.

The German discount chain has sent British customers flocking into stores with a new snack range that's so nostalgically delicious that it might just tear your eye.

The ‘British Week’ at ALDI has become a beacon for those missing the familiar flavours of the UK.

From the tangy zing of Prawn Cocktail crisps to the creamy delight of Galaxy Minstrels, these snacks are more than just food items; they're edible memories, a way to reconnect with a place and time many expats hold dear.

2_20240618_081247_0001.png
ALDI Australia drew in Aussies and British expats with a range of UK snacks during their ‘Special Buys’ event. Credit: Tiktok / @emilyytravelss

Natalia, a Sydney shopper, couldn't contain her excitement when she discovered the range and shared it in a video on social media.

Clutching a packet of Smith’s Crinkle Cut Prawn Cocktail Chips 150g ($3.29), she exclaimed, ‘I'm actually going to cry’.

‘My parents are in England at the moment, and they're bringing back some packets…now I have more, which I'm so happy about.’

The range includes not only the aforementioned snacks but also cheese and pickle-flavoured crisps, Worcestershire sauce crisps, Little Rolo chocolates, and more.

The sentiment was echoed by Emily in Melbourne, who was overjoyed to find the chocolate treats she'd been longing for.

‘Every British person is rushing to ALDI right now, and this is why. I have missed British chocolate so much,’ she shared in a video.

‘I don't even like prawn cocktail crisps, but I know everyone is going to get these.’

These treats have sparked an interest among shoppers, with hundreds hoping to grab a taste before stocks run out.

Social media was abuzz with excitement and a touch of despair from those who fear missing out.

‘None in my ALDI—so disappointed,’ one commenter shared.

‘I live in the outback, we don't have an ALDI, and I am DEVASTATED,’ another lamented.

A third expressed, ‘I've spent eight years looking for prawn cocktail crisps! My local had better have some, or it'll break my heart.’

However, some wondered if these snacks are available year-round elsewhere.

‘Isn't there a Reject Shop in Melbourne? Has loads of chocolate and sweets from the UK all the time,’ one shopper asked.

The phenomenon isn't new. Recently, ALDI shoppers were stunned to find bars of Tony's Chocolonely, a popular Dutch chocolate brand, in the ‘Special Buys’ section for $4.99.

The beloved chocolate, originating from the Netherlands, caused excitement among customers last year when it debuted at Coles and Woolworths for $8 each.

‘$4.99, seriously? They've got white chocolate strawberry cheesecake and the dark milk chocolate brownie,’ one said.
Key Takeaways
  • ALDI Australia attracted Aussies and British expats with a range of UK snacks as part of their ‘Special Buys’ event.
  • Customers were especially excited about products such as Smith's Prawn Cocktail chips and British chocolates like Galaxy Minstrels and Little Rolo.
  • Social media users shared their delight and nostalgia for the British treats, with some expressing disappointment at the limited availability or lack of an ALDI store nearby.
  • The British-themed snacks generated significant buzz online, with expats and snack enthusiasts hoping to get their hands on these special offerings before they sold out.
Have you ever stumbled upon an unexpected treat from your homeland in the supermarket? Which snack would you like to see again on your next grocery trip? We invite you to share your stories in the comments below.

Sponsored
Lost my taste for some British stuff awhile ago. When I returned to visit my dad was disappointed that a lot of stuff had disappeared and others didn't taste the same