British singer Adele halts Vegas shows as she suffers health scare

Adele, the British powerhouse vocalist known for her soulful ballads and candid lyrics, has recently experienced a health scare that has forced her to take a break from her Las Vegas residency.

The singer, who has been performing at The Colosseum at Caesars Palace, has been dealing with a chest issue that has affected her ability to hit high notes.

In her last performance before announcing her break, Adele admitted she was ‘stressed’ and compared her vocal cords to Ursula from The Little Mermaid, a character known for her deep, raspy voice.

The singer expressed her concerns to the audience, apologising for any potential impact on her performance.

Screenshot 2024-02-28 at 7.19.45 AM.png
Adele halted her Vegas shows due to chest issues. Credit: @Adele / Instagram

'In the middle of last night—I’m sure you can hear it in my talking voice and my singing voice a little bit. Your girl was tired. I didn’t sleep very well,’ she confessed to the crowd.

'And Ursula from the ocean has come from my chest tonight. I can’t hit my high notes properly. I didn’t sleep very well, and my chest is on fire. I can tell I’m going to have a cough in like ten days, but I’m still here.'

Adele's health scare has led her to take a break from her Las Vegas residency, with 20 shows remaining until June 2024.

She has promised to go on vocal rest following her last show, which is undoubtedly challenging as her partner Rich Paul and her son Angelo talk a lot.

‘Straight after this show, I am going on voice rest. Can you imagine how hard now me not talking for three days is?’ she continued.

‘So I’m going to be in bed coughing my guts up on complete voice rest.’

'And not only is my partner an absolute chatterbox, [but] so is my son. So I am going to have to lock myself in a cupboard or something like that,' she joked.

Despite the setback, Adele remained optimistic and grateful for her fans' support.

'You’ve been amazing. The show. Thank you, thank you, love, magical, magical, all putting it together from the moment out. I’m so glad you had a good time. I look crazy, I feel crazy...I’m going to go on voice rest,' she said.

This isn't the first time Adele has faced health issues related to her voice.

In October 2011, she underwent surgery on her vocal cords to alleviate recurrent haemorrhaging caused by a benign polyp.

In 2012, she opened up about the experience, admitting that not speaking was 'really hard'.

'I also had an application on my phone that you type the words into it and then it speaks it,' she explained.

'But the great thing is I love to swear. Most of (the apps) you can’t swear on, but I found this one app where you can swear, so I’m still really getting my point across.'

‘I had laser surgery. (Doctors) put lasers down your throat, cut off the polyp, and kind of laser your haemorrhage back together and fix it,’ she added.

You can watch the interview below:

Credit: SuperTheDiego / YouTube

She also recalled a performance on a French radio where her voice just ‘went’.

‘Like someone put a curtain over my throat...and I could feel it. It felt like something popped in my throat,’ she said, explaining the feeling.

While Adele's fans are undoubtedly disappointed by the temporary halt in her performances, they can look forward to her return to the stage in the future.

After her Las Vegas residency, she is scheduled to perform shows in Munich in August 2024.

We wish Adele a speedy recovery and look forward to her return to the stage. In the meantime, fans can enjoy her music and anticipate the powerful performances that will come when she is back in full voice.
Key Takeaways

• Adele experienced a health scare due to a chest issue affecting her during her Las Vegas residency.
  • She has been forced to go on vocal rest after a show where she struggled with her high notes.
  • Her partner Rich Paul and her son Angelo are significant talkers, which she joked would make her vocal rest challenging.
  • Adele has a history of vocal cord issues and underwent laser surgery in 2011 to fix recurrent haemorrhaging caused by a benign polyp.
Are you a fan of Adele? What are your favourite performances from her? Share them with us in the comments below!

Last edited:
Sponsored
Those artists must put themselves under so much pressure to satisfy fans, something has to give. Better to halt now, take a break & re-coup then come back anew.